RoadBikeReview Member

Power2Max Type S Specialized compatibility

Specialized power meter Type S | Power2Max North America

About to pull the trigger on one of these and I think I should be fine with the compatibility as my crank was ordered at the end of 2015 and it looks like the one in the picture. When ordering the crank they suggest buying a tool for installing it but I only do minimal mechanical work myself and my lbs takes care of most stuff for me. Is this a tool I need to buy so they can install it or is it something they should have as a specialized dealer?

Power2Max Type S Specialized compatibility-img_6659s.jpgPower2Max Type S Specialized compatibility-501.jpg

Not a climber
    The power meter is just a replacement for the crank spider. Any shop that works on higher end Spesh bikes should have the tool. I changed my spider from a 130BCD to 110 a couple years ago and the shop had no problem doing it. They dealt with a lot of S-works Tarmacs and Venges, so I assume they were fully capable of tearing them down completely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, that is what I'm assuming as well I just wasn't sure if there was anything specific to the power2max spider that required something different (seems unlikely). Worst case I have to wait a bit longer if I have to order the tool later.

Not a climber
    Nah, the wavy-spline interface with the crank is the same as the Spesh spider. The fancy tool is just for the lockring that holes the spider in place, which would be reused for the P2M. I guess they sell it so you can install the P2M at home, assuming you don't already have the special tool.