RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Roubaix Expert,what to change ?

Let me first go ahead and say I'm perfectly happy with this bike,there is truly nothing I don't like or makes me go "whatever.....". I'm so happy with it I've even canceled my Tarmac frame order to have some cash for a newly acquired Cannondale Flash 29. Still...I still have some leftover cash I could splurge on in some bits and parts.
    Bike is 7 kgs sharp with pedals,saddle pouch and bottle cages,an excellent weight for my needs .I don't feel it super stiff in the handlebar area,should a carbon bar or a carbon stem do the trick ? Tires maybe ? I'm very happy with oem Roubaix tires tho,you can throw 'em frisbee like on the rim and they just pop in. Some fancy ultra light skewers maybe ? Needless to say if there is a possibility to shave off some extra weight without breaking the bank I would be more than happy too. Budget is between 150 and 220 Euro

Cheers,Andy

Last edited by Devastazione; 10-29-2012 at 01:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My view is...if it isn't apparent what to spend your money on, don't ask others for advice.
    This is only my opinion. The bike will cost you over time and budget that money for replacement parts. I ride a carbon handlebar and built frameset up because I am fussy so if I owned your bike I would likely change everything. A carbon handlebar isn't necessarily stiffer which is a good thing. I like a bit of compliancy in my handlebar and why I chose the carbon FSA Kwing compact.
    Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    cobble gobbler seat post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Live with the bike for a while and see what, if any thing, bugs you or screams for an upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    what water bottles/cages are those Andy ? I have an expert and need some good recommendations on cages and bottles- im a newbie

Sep 2007
    If those are the TL version of the DuraAce C24 wheels, then try tubeless tires. I'd recommend Hutchinson Fusion 3. They are fussy to install compared to tubes, but well worth the effort in my opinion. I run them at about 90psi and they take out a lot of the road buzz, and the extra confidence while descending is a game changer for me.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

Sep 2007
    Oh, and ultra light skewers on the DuraAce wheels would be a sin. The DuraAce skewers are really well designed and fantastic to use - there's nothing left to improve. I've found other skewers to be a complete pain and have switched over to the Shimano ones on most of my wheels.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNV View Post
    what water bottles/cages are those Andy ? I have an expert and need some good recommendations on cages and bottles- im a newbie
    Those are the mighty Zee Cages from Specialized . I yet have to find another more practical and functional bottle cage.
    No matter wich bike brand will make a breach through my heart in the future the Specialized Zee Cage will always be monuted on that frame.