RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

S-Works Roubaix module deal....

I've got a line on a sworks roubaix module for $2k. Sound like a decent deal? Seems to me that is a killer deal, but Im concerned about the snap(acceleration) compared to the tarmac geo....Any input on price and ride is appreciated....

thanks!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got both, the Roubaix SL2 and the Tarmac SL2. Both bikes are suitably stiff in the drive train. You're not likely going to flex either. They both climb extremely well.

While the Tarmac has perceptibly slightly more "snap", I find that true acceleration is pretty much equal - at least in my opinion. The Tarmac does have a slightly more agile balance during out of the saddle efforts/sprints, but I'm not sure it translates into better performance. I guess it would depend on what you are doing at the moment. In a pack of riders at the front sprinting for the line, well the Tarmac's quick and agile manner probably gives it an advantage. The Roubaix on the other hand, is a bit "easier" to control, and thus less agile (some might say its a bit slower to respond). But I don't see the Roubaix as being sluggish like some have commented. I find it exudes and "ease" to the handling that eludes the Tarmac. On fast descents the Roubaix is at a definite advantage in my opinion. It is super stable. The Tarmac can be a bit skiddish on fast descents depending on the condition of the pavement. It definitely requires more attention. However, diving hard into a turn favors the Tarmac. Its super stiff front end is confidence inspiring. It likes to be pushed.

Whether this answers your question I don't know. I will say this though, I own both and, if I could only keep one it would be the Roubaix. And it would be relatively easy choice for me. Your mileage may vary though. If you race, you will probably be better off with the Tarmac.

Having said all this, the new SL3 has been slightly lengthened in wheelbase and front center, and along with the new rear design I understand its descending manners are better than the SL2.

But back to your dilemma at hand, $2K for the module is a great buy. I purchased my Roubaix as a module and built it up with DA 7800. It is super sweet - and weights but 16.3 lbs all up.
    Last edited by NealH; 11-21-2009 at 03:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    NealH....Thanks for your input. Also if Boonen can win P-R back to back, I know it'll be fine when I stand up on the pedals!