Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    You're sounding like you don't like the bike. And you're putting the Tarmac in the same realm as "madones and cervelos" but not your Venge? Surely it's a better bike than many cervelos and prob similar in tier to the madone, which is the most boring top level bike of all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper8888 View Post
    You're sounding like you don't like the bike. And you're putting the Tarmac in the same realm as "madones and cervelos" but not your Venge? Surely it's a better bike than many cervelos and prob similar in tier to the madone, which is the most boring top level bike of all.
    I love it, but you are missing the point perhaps?

I cite the Tarmac as being up there as a climbing bike along with the Madones and Cervelo R5. Boring to some is heaven to others. The Tarmac pings up the hills if you learn to ride it that way. The Venge feels totally different.

I am out on it again tomorrow, chomping at the bit. Cant wait to motor it along - the bike and I are bonding and today I made a couple more subtle changes to the set up.

BUT, the point I have made is that I am not going to simply do the usual 'it is the best bike I have ever ridden' routine. I am merely being honest, factual and replying to questions.

The Venge is a monster, absolutely and I cannot wait to get out on the Saturday chain gang and make people see it - free speed is a term I would use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    The reviews all seem to be the same. The Tarmac is the fast, nimble bike. The Acura NSX. The Venge is the Hammer. The 71 Chevy Corvette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by diegogarcia View Post
    I love it, but you are missing the point perhaps?

I cite the Tarmac as being up there as a climbing bike along with the Madones and Cervelo R5. Boring to some is heaven to others. The Tarmac pings up the hills if you learn to ride it that way. The Venge feels totally different.

I am out on it again tomorrow, chomping at the bit. Cant wait to motor it along - the bike and I are bonding and today I made a couple more subtle changes to the set up.

BUT, the point I have made is that I am not going to simply do the usual 'it is the best bike I have ever ridden' routine. I am merely being honest, factual and replying to questions.

The Venge is a monster, absolutely and I cannot wait to get out on the Saturday chain gang and make people see it - free speed is a term I would use.
    No no, I think mainly I got the point, partic on climbing, ... it just seemed like reading between the lines that you had bent over little far backwards not doing the fanboy thing --- which is good, to a degree... those best bike ever reviews just don't have any credibility.
    One day I am going to spoof one of those and throw in some of that BS about "and then I added a ceramic headset and gained 2 mph... then I used NASA oil on my chain, and what do you know, another 3 mph...." if a fraction of these things were true, pretty soon some of these bikes would be capable of rolling out the front door and down to the road on their own and taking off at 125 mph and, with luck, fetching back Scarlett Johanssen.

I have exactly the same frame on order though, and you were starting to worry me a little.
    I weigh 175-180 and I'm not going to be showing any stunning pace on a climb unless someone straps a rocket to my ass....
    I do fully understand the horses for course point you were trying to make, just want to be clear that you actually like the bike.
    anyway, gorgeous build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RkFast View Post
    The reviews all seem to be the same. The Tarmac is the fast, nimble bike. The Acura NSX. The Venge is the Hammer. The 71 Chevy Corvette.
    I dunno, I've driven a '68 big bloc 4sp with six-barrel carb and giant sidepipes. The motor was an old NASCAR spare built up by Junior Johnson himself.
    Probably the Venge is SLIGHTLY more refined. More like a new corvette or Aston Martin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper8888 View Post
    I dunno, I've driven a '68 big bloc 4sp with six-barrel carb and giant sidepipes. The motor was an old NASCAR spare built up by Junior Johnson himself.
    Probably the Venge is SLIGHTLY more refined. More like a new corvette or Aston Martin.
    LOL......fair enough. But you got the point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Cheers guys. Yeah, I am trying to be straight up about the bike. I usually cite working out how a bike rides as a 90 day period, habitual behavior if you like.

The irony is that it may well end up being the best bike I have ever ridden in the long term too as ride by ride it is making me feel that way. It reminds me of a Cervelo S3 but stiffer around the head tube which I like too.

The Venge is conforming to review cliche in someways and everyone says the same thing, but I suspect that is due to the fact it really is like a hammer on certain roads. One of those bikes where the more you give it, the more it wants and as with most top end frames the limiting factor is the amateur rider ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I aim to get a few fast miles in again over the coming week. Today has been a total and utter wash out - massive rain and headwind, but again another lesson in the Venge with reference to the camber-foiled tubing which allows the wind to roll through the frame rather than push it like a land locked sail across the road. It works, you feel the wind, you expect the bike to move but then it comes back. Quite interesting.

Cock-pit wise, sticking with 160mm + 10mm spacer and a 100mm stem. I can afford to go to a 110 mm if needed but at the moment the set up feels fine.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures from this morning. One water bottle and another tube carrying a tube of sealant, pump and an energy bar. I hate having pockets full of crap on a bike and these work a treat when the weather dictates the 2.2lbs of water is enough.

Lastly, in case you are wondering, yes, I ****ing love this bike now.

Saw these on the way back into the City.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    i have it too, but the S-Works decal stickers on the Frame I do not like.....awaited before I got the Frame that they where coloured.
    If it is the same on the Mclaren Frame for 5000 Pounds I would say Specialized are cheaters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S-Works Venge WC 46 Ltd Edtion build....-dscf4535-2-.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Robitaille20 View Post
    i have it too, but the S-Works decal stickers on the Frame I do not like.....awaited before I got the Frame that they where coloured.
    If it is the same on the Mclaren Frame for 5000 Pounds I would say Specialized are cheaters.
    What size is it? I'll buy it off you if you do not like it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ikboll View Post
    What size is it? I'll buy it off you if you do not like it?
    Size 52....I only will trade the Frame for an McLaren Venge Frame in size 52

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Size 52....I only will trade the Frame for an McLaren Venge Frame in size 52
    I rang round all the Concept stores in the UK for a Venge and there are only a few left. How tall are you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I rang round all the Concept stores in the UK for a Venge and there are only a few left. How tall are you?
    174 cm height, weight 71 kg - I got mine from Conceptstore in Covent Garden London

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    174 cm height, weight 71 kg - I got mine from Conceptstore in Covent Garden London
    I would love a Mclaren Venge but it's looking like I'll just have to get the standard Venge. Better on the pocket too and it's still a fantastic frame. I'm just not sure what size to go for. I'm 5'6" (168cm) and I'm not sure if to get a 52cm or a 49cm? What do you think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Nice bike and great photos.

But surely two big water bottles throws the aero tubing out of the window? No?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I would love a Mclaren Venge but it's looking like I'll just have to get the standard Venge. Better on the pocket too and it's still a fantastic frame. I'm just not sure what size to go for. I'm 5'6" (168cm) and I'm not sure if to get a 52cm or a 49cm? What do you think?
    I guess you can use also a size 52. It will fit you perfectly, but with shorter stem as me ( I have 135mm stem and prefer extremly race position at my bike ) Specialized recommand also size 52 for your height. A size 54 would be to large for you and size 49 to small

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bernithebiker View Post
    Nice bike and great photos.

But surely two big water bottles throws the aero tubing out of the window? No?
    Of course, stupid point to raise though as all bikes loose aero dynamics once the rider jumps on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    If your local Specialized dealer is any good they should do a pre-purchase sizing for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    wow, thats Hot!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    WOW - that is just a beautiful ride. Good luck with her.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks all. 200 miles on it now. As before, nice bike, needs speed to feel alive but once up to it, moves along nicely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12