Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

SL4 Pro frame OSBB and campy ultra torque crank

If I get the SL4 frameset, its going to come with the OSBB. What kind of adapter will I need to get my campy ultra torque cranks to work?

thanks

Kevin

RoadBikeReview Member
    You need either a 42MM (for regular BB 30) or 46mm (for pressfit BB30) pair of these, I'm not sure what Spec frames use now:

Campagnolo BB30 UT Integrated Cups (Press Fit)
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I was wondering when I would see this post. Check with your Specialized dealer. Using any alloy adapter inside the OSBB voids your frame warranty. I don't know what this means for people who want to use Shimano, etc, but it means Campagnolo UT cranks are a no-no.

I don't know what Specialized was thinking when they decided not to offer a threaded BB. Oh wait, yes I do, they want you to use (and buy) only the Specialized crank. What marketing!

Some people will sell their Campy Super Record crank and use a Specialized crank. Many others will find another bike that will let them use the Campy crank. What marketing!

I was ready to pull the trigger on a 2012 S-Works Tarmac SL4 frameset if and when they release a color scheme I like better (personal preference, but I don't like any of the 2012 schemes) than my 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2 in raw carbon. Not likely to do that now.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    I don't know what this means for people who want to use Shimano, etc
    They will use the Delrin adapters, such as those made by Wheels Manufacturing. Specialized includes some adapters with the SL-4 frame-sets (see pictures on their web-site), and presumably they are also made of some material like Delrin rather than alloy. Maybe a similar solution will become available for Compagnolo cranks?
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Are the Specialized Delrin adapters (I wasn't aware that Specialized provided these) designed to be used with one specific manufacturer's crank? Which cranksets will they work with?

Sep 2007
    Are the Specialized Delrin adapters (I wasn't aware that Specialized provided these) designed to be used with one specific manufacturer's crank? Which cranksets will they work with?
    I don't know that the Specialized ones are made of Delrin, but presume they are not alloy because of what you said. My guess is that they will ship adapters from PF30 to Shimano and Shimano-compatible cranks. A recent poster with the 2012 Allez frame-set posted about the included Specialized alloy adapters from BB30, and I presume that they were to Shimano cranks.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The included adapters are, in fact, alloy, and are only for Shimano crank sets. I am using the Wheels adapters for my Force cranks. I had to add an additional 2mm spacer, but it seems to be working ok, so far.
    -2014 Roubaix Expert with 2014 Roval CLX40 wheels
    -2013 Stumpjumper Elite FSR 29er
    -Funner ORRB (Off Road Road Bike) with whatever we had around the shop

RoadBikeReview Member
    crap, i was hoping for a much better cooperation from specialized with people with existing components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I think all the OSBB frames will not work with Campy cranks. It will only work with BB30 or Shimano with adapter included in the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    last year the s-works SL3 came with the delrin adapters and they made the bottom bracket into essentially a pressfit 30 bottom bracket which was compatible with any BB30 bearing and crankset

the SL3 pro used the metal BB30 shell

OSBB does not mean that there is a metal shell - not really sure what it means ;)

this year it is not clear what specialized has done for the SL4 line pro and s-works but there apears in the picture to be some sort of adaptor that comes with the frame presumably for shimano cranks

i notice with the mountain bike frames they are showing a PF30 threaded adaptor

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyd View Post
    last year the s-works SL3 came with the delrin adapters and they made the bottom bracket into essentially a pressfit 30 bottom bracket which was compatible with any BB30 bearing and crankset
    These are what I've been calling press-fit cups.

Thanks for the info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbloke View Post
    These are what I've been calling press-fit cups.

Thanks for the info.
    i guess specialized calls them OSBB press in cups

http://service.specialized.com/colla...tion-Guide.pdf

from the pictures it appears that the pro maintains the alloy bottom bracket and the s-works is carbon with press in cups

the s-works now comes with a seatpost, adaptors for Shimano? and also ceramic bearings?

that would account for some of the price increase
    Last edited by purdyd; 09-07-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyd View Post
    from the pictures it appears that the pro maintains the alloy bottom bracket and the s-works is carbon with press in cups
    Well spotted - the text also says "carbon OSBB" for S-Works and just "OSBB" for Pro.

the s-works now comes with a seatpost, adaptors for Shimano? and also ceramic bearings? that would account for some of the price increase
    Putting on my cynic's hat again ... the S-Works frame-set used to come with a seat-post, and then they dropped it and kept the price the same (stealth price increase). Now it is back and the price is way up. The adapters are about a $30 value. Ceramic bearings must have one of the biggest price mark-ups in all of cycling. A couple of years back you could get an S-Works module for $3300 as I recall - so as well as the frame, fork and seat-post you got the cranks too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    (see other thread).
    I have a 2011 SL3 with the external cup BB and Ultegra Crank. The frame is being warranty replaced by Specialized with the 2012 SL4 pro. I see (and read this post) that the SL4 only comes in OSBB. So am i correct in interpreting that you guys are saying that my new SL4 frame will be shipped with some sort of adapters/spacer/etc....so my 2011 Shimano 6700 Ultegra crank will indeed work on this frame?

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergundog View Post
    (see other thread).
    I have a 2011 SL3 with the external cup BB and Ultegra Crank. The frame is being warranty replaced by Specialized with the 2012 SL4 pro. I see (and read this post) that the SL4 only comes in OSBB. So am i correct in interpreting that you guys are saying that my new SL4 frame will be shipped with some sort of adapters/spacer/etc....so my 2011 Shimano 6700 Ultegra crank will indeed work on this frame?
    Yes, that's exactly right - if you look at the 2012 Pro frame-set on the Specialized web-site and zoom in on the BB you will see the adapters. With the press-in cups, BB30 bearings, and adapter installed your Shimano cranks will go straight in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Specialized rep I talked to on the phone confirmed that the SL4 pro has an AL BB shell, the Sworks has a carbon shell. He also said that a shop that is not afraid to do the work to retro fit, the ultra torque will go in, but that its not suggested. He did not say doing it would void anything though.

So, instead of dumping the $ on a SL4 and new cranks, I will ponder the idea of getting a used S-works SL3 tarmac with standard BB so the ultra torque's can go right in. probably save some $ in the process too, maybe enough to throw in a pair of AC 420 aero wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    OK, I found this crank compatibility chart:

http://service.specialized.com/colla...om-Bracket.pdf

The alloy OSBB shell is OK with Campy Ultra-Torque, but as I was told by a dealer, the carbon OSBB is not OK. The same dealer told me that the 2012 Pro has a carbon shell. Even if it did have an alloy shell, I'm not about to trade my S-Works in for a Pro in a color I don't like at all.

I have to talk to Specialized Customer Sevice regarding my new 2012 Epic Expert, and I am going to ask them why they decided to exclude Campagnolo. I know lots of people with high end bikes (muself included) who insist on Campy. It seems like Specialized will lose a few sales, but they are so dominant now, perhaps they don't care?

IMHO, the bicycle industry sure has made a mess of bottom brackets standards (or lack thereof).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    OK, I found this crank compatibility chart:

http://service.specialized.com/colla...om-Bracket.pdf

The alloy OSBB shell is OK with Campy Ultra-Torque, but as I was told by a dealer, the carbon OSBB is not OK. The same dealer told me that the 2012 Pro has a carbon shell. Even if it did have an alloy shell, I'm not about to trade my S-Works in for a Pro in a color I don't like at all.

. I know lots of people with high end bikes (muself included) who insist on Campy. It seems like Specialized will lose a few sales, but they are so dominant now, perhaps they don't care?
    ).
    it appears that camp ultra torque bb30 adaptor relies on the groove that the BB30 clip goes into and the OSBB press in cup does not have that

you can still run campy, you just can't run the campy crank - the specialized s-works crank is pretty nice and you could use the campy chain rings

if you have enough money to buy the frame and own top end campy stuff, i imagine having to use the specialized crank is not such a huge problem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbloke View Post
    Putting on my cynic's hat again ... the S-Works frame-set used to come with a seat-post, and then they dropped it and kept the price the same (stealth price increase). Now it is back and the price is way up. The adapters are about a $30 value. Ceramic bearings must have one of the biggest price mark-ups in all of cycling. A couple of years back you could get an S-Works module for $3300 as I recall - so as well as the frame, fork and seat-post you got the cranks too!
    hard to disagree with that

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Super Record Ti crank and S-works OSBB frame

Hi there

I bought the Roubaix S-works OSBB frame (it means Over Size Bottom Bracket by the way), without knowing that there would be problems mounting my Super Record Ti crankset in that frame.

I'm a heavy rider, and as I initially mounted the crank set with the "delrin" rings and the Campy press fit cups, it semed a little less stiff, than when mounted with BSA cups.

Sure enough, there was chain rub on the front derallieur, and after my first 90km spin, the press fit cups had turned inside the OSBB bracket - not much point in having some of the best ceramic bearings in the world, if you actually rotate the whole setup when stumping hard in the pedals!!

I thought it over, and finally made up my mind, and went to a machine shop, which helps me occasionally when I get an idea for something.

I hade them machine me a set of 7075 alu cups, which protrude 3cm into the OSBB from each side, the cups was machined with BSA threads, and I could easily install my Campy BSA cups in them.

I had the outside diameter on the cups made in 46.3mm, which makes for a good snug fit.

Before installation of the cups, I contacted the shop where I bought the frame, who where aware of my problems, and I mailed them some pictures and measurements of the cups, I have had made.

They approved on them and, sent me back a mail, stating, that if any problems should occur with the frame / alu cubs, I would still have full warranty on the framekit.

After installation of the cups, the chain rub has disapeared, and the crank set feel as stiff as usually.

I have ridden this frame most of this summer without any problems whatsoever, and I cant think of any other frame to wish for - it is superb!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    As usual, it seems like there are many different stories, all from Specialized. As I mentioned, I am going to call them. If it were me, I would not accept any dealer's OK regarding frame warranty regarding a modified BB or shell. I would insist on confirmation direct from Specialized.

I'm not sure how Campagnolo chainrings would fit a Specialized crank, as the Campy rings have an asymmetric chainring bolt pattern (for compact, one bolt is set at 112 bolt center, not 110, and the 53/39 rings are different as well.

Having to use the Specialized crank is not a "huge problem," as I am sure that they are of high quality. My point (and problem) is that I love my Campy crankset, want to use it, and Specialized has made that impossible with their striving to spec proprietary parts.

For my money, the whole OSBB systems with all of the different standards are confusing and a pain in the ass to deal with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I talked with Specialized Customer Service. According to the person I spoke with, the Campy 68x42 adapter used with an OSBB should not void the frame warranty, provided it is installed correctly. The 68x46 adapter will not work. According to the rep, the SL4 is over 100g lighter than the SL3 as well as stiffer torsionally. Whether a mere mortal could feel the difference is another question.

If the S-Works Tarmac SL4 were offered in a frame color I liked, I might go for it and use the adapters with my Campy crankset. Or I might try and pick up a threaded 2011 frame and save some money. Better yet, I might just keep my 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2. It's been a fantastic bike.

Has anyone used the 68x42 adapters with the OSBB frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I talked with Specialized Customer Service (again) and Quality Control. QC is OK with using the 68x42 Campy adapter inside of the Specialzed (he called them nylon) 46mm cups that can be special ordered by a dealer. He said that it will work fine (although another posted apparently did this and had a problem). QC stopped short of agreeing to send me a letter that it was OK to use the Campy crank in this fashion. I was told that I would have to talk with the Warranty Department.

After careful thought, I ordered one of two remaining 2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 frames in the color I wanted in the size I needed. Selling my 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2 frame to a friend makes for an easy swap.

For others considering an SL4 (or any other OSBB frame) used with a Campy UT crank, it sounds like it will work, and it's highly unlikely that you will have any problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I talked with Specialized Customer Service (again) and Quality Control. QC is OK with using the 68x42 Campy adapter inside of the Specialzed (he called them nylon) 46mm cups

For others considering an SL4 (or any other OSBB frame) used with a Campy UT crank, it sounds like it will work, and it's highly unlikely that you will have any problems.
    well, specialized documentation refers to them as Delrin (Acetal) cups and in my opinion, as I work at lot with Delrin, that is what they are.

http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...llation_r4.pdf

perhaps they are now nylon

They also come with the frame, no need to order. they also ship you a pair if you buy a specialized carbon crankset

it says the campy UT adaptor works with PF30 and they should work if that is the case

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I was told by Specialized that the adapters that come with the frame do not work with the Campy UT, and that a different adapter must be ordered.

Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast