Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Specialized Allez why such crappy looking welds?!!!

Why do the welds on the new Allez not look to smooth? If Cannondale could find a way to make there beautiful CAAD bikes with nice smooth welds could other brands not find a way to do it?!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Reducing cost and having more profit

Man, I'm Awesome
    There is more cost involved in Fillet brazing vs regular welding. Everyone knows how to do it they choose not to.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

Cycling induced anoesis
    You're talking pure aesthetics. Once could argue that smoothing welds can weaken them.

But beyond that, I simply disagree that (overall) C'dales finished products are in any way superior to Specs. ATMO..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    So why would anyone want to buy a speacialized or other brand when they choose not to go the extra mile and pay attention to the small details like Cannondale has always done with there bikes?!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Umm...you do know C-Dale doesn't fillet braze their frames, right? They grind down the welds to make them look smooth and always have. Before C-Dale cleans up their welds they are pretty ugly looking.

See starting around 2:15.

Last edited by vagabondcyclist; 06-22-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Sometimes companies smooth the welds to hide crappy welding!

Unless there has been a couple of passes I don't want the welds ground off. If done right, smoothing doesn't necessarily make the weld weaker but it certainly doesn't make it any stronger.
    The tubing on these frames is so thin that whoever does the grinding/sanding better be a real expert.
    And how much does the many man-hours of sanding add to the price of the frame?

I'd much rather see good welds, especially on an import frame.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd769 View Post
    So why would anyone want to buy a speacialized or other brand when they choose not to go the extra mile and pay attention to the small details like Cannondale has always done with there bikes?!!!
    lol.. what "small details"?? They weld a few alu tubes together and call it a frame. You may think there's some sprinkling of magic dust here, but there really isn't.

There simply TIG welded, alu frames. If you really care about aesthetics, buy custom steel or Ti. THERE, you are talking quality craftsmanship.

Got a question for you. Did you cross post this in other manufacturers forums, or are you just trolling here??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    ''SmartFormed Alloy'' The distilled result of three decades of accumulated aluminum construction experience, SmartForming techniques deliver incredibly precise wall thickness distribution and tube shapes, concentrating material exactly where needed to maximize stiffness and strength, while shaving every last extraneous gram from the structure. Internally all butting is accomplished via smooth tapered transitions to eliminate the abrupt changes in material thickness which cause stress-risers. Unlike the putty-and-paint ''smooth welds of our competition, Cannondale's legendary double-pass smooth welds create the strongest possible joints. Combined with our post-weld, heat-treat process that creates an true uni-body finished structure, and you've got simply the most advanced aluminum frames.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Got a question for you. Did you cross post this in other manufacturers forums, or are you just trolling here??
    The guy definitely seems hung up on smooth welds and wants to judge the quality of a manufacturer by whether or not they sand them.

Of all the hundreds of things that matter in frame choice, the smoothness of the welds is probably the least important.
    But the quality of those welds is very important so I want to see them.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    ''SmartFormed Alloy'' Unlike the putty-and-paint ''smooth welds of our competition, Cannondale's legendary double-pass smooth welds create the strongest possible joints. Combined with our post-weld, heat-treat process that creates an true uni-body finished structure, and you've got simply the most advanced aluminum frames.
    Just remember that a lot of that "smooth weld" is the result of sanding/grinding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Really to me it does not sound like 'small' details more like they know what they are doing when it comes to making the best aluminum frames on the market!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I think it is done to eliminate the stress- risers in the weld which could lead to a week spot! That small attention is why there CAAD frames are the best in the world.

Cycling induced anoesis
    ''SmartFormed Alloy''...
    Yeah, Specialized calls there's Smartweld. Same thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    lol.. what "small details"?? They weld a few alu tubes together and call it a frame. You may think there's some sprinkling of magic dust here, but there really isn't.

There simply TIG welded, alu frames. If you really care about aesthetics, buy custom steel or Ti. THERE, you are talking quality craftsmanship.

Nope just an average guy who loves bikes! I look at all of the brands and then compare what the have to offer. I just don;t think Specialized makes a nice of a bike as Cannondales!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    The guy definitely seems hung up on C'dale and (for whatever reason) picked the Specialized forum for trolling.
    Fixed it.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Nope just an average guy who loves C'dales! I look at all of the brands and then compare what the have to offer. I just don;t think Specialized makes a nice of a bike as Cannondales!
    Fixed it for you..

I think you should go visit the C'dale forum and sing the (C'dale) praises with those folks. At least until the company is bought/ resold... again (and again).

Or, stay here and try to convert us. But by my latest tally, you're battin' zero!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    You're talking about an entry level road bike here...

If you don't care for the welds on a certain brand...don't buy one. The Allez frame set has won numerous awards for being an exceptional road bike at an entry level price.

Now...if you look up the ladder in the Allez line you'll find nicer frames. Within the Allez line, they actually offer 3 different frames; the A1, the E5 and the E5 Hydroformed. The sub $1100 models have the A1 frame, the $1450 models the E5 and the >$1700 the hydro E5. More $$ comes with a nicer frame and better finish.

Personally, I couldn't care less if a company drops some frill like smoothing welds to offer a great riding frame for lower $$ and by what I've read/heard, the Allez is a great bike for the $$.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Just read in a mag where the tester of the new Allez hydro E5 race states that he could feel a lot of flex coming from the bottom bracket of this top end aluminum frame and, the tester only weighed a buck 50!!! Coming from a top bike mag!!!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Just read in a mag where the tester of the new Allez hydro E5 race states that he could feel a lot of flex coming from the bottom bracket of this top end aluminum frame and, the tester only weighed a buck 50!!! Coming from a top bike mag!!!
    Wow, to say you're impressionable is an understatement.

But as was stated, the Allez's have won a number of awards. FWIW, Jamis Icon beat our your beloved C'dale CAAD in Bicyclings latest round. I guess the testers didn't notice (or care about) the welds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're talking pure aesthetics. Once could argue that smoothing welds can weaken them.
    That weld is the strongest piece of metal on the bike... I'd be more worried about accidentally damaging the metal around the weld (the weakest piece of metal on the bike... unless reenforced as part of the building/butting process).
    Last edited by headloss; 06-22-2013 at 11:34 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Why try to defend a lesser bike?! It's on Specialized and all bike brands to make better bike frames all around and it's very sad that many just do not take the time to pay attention to small details that make for a better looking and riding bike frame and that includes the new Jamis Icon. With there 2,600 dollar bike having very lumpy looking weld quality....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Why try to defend a lesser bike?!
    Why bash it? Like you said, it's a "lesser" bike. Not every car is a Ferrari.

I tried to explain things to you but you really don't want to hear it. If you don't care for a brand...fine. Coming on a forum to aimlessly bash something is a waste of time...and rather pointless.

There's plenty of brands I don't like...but I don't spend my time joining a forum simply to bash them.

Go outside and ride your Cannondale...enjoy the fine welds...just refrain from crashing into a parked car when you're cycling distracted due rubbing your hands across the sultry frame seam welds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    LMFAO....I have done just that looking down a few times to admire my CAAD9 and how ****ing sweet it looks in it's raw finish!!! Never hit anything yet!!!lol I'm not bashing I like that there are many brands to compete with each other then we get better bikes! I like the way the new S-works Allez looks great paint job just wish they could have went the extra mile and made the welds look better on such an expensive alu bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Fixed it.
    Really we both know the truth as to what the better bike is...Just go ride them both CAAD10 and Specialized Allez side by side. Caad looks and rides much better smoother and stiffer alot stiffer in the bottom bracket!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast