Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Specialized Road Questions?

92K views 328 replies 85 participants last post by  tom_h 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm part of the bike development team at Specialized and am here to talk about our road bikes and associated products. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions about the bikes. I'm here to help!

Thanks!

EDIT:
If you have a new question, its much easier for me to find and answer if you select "Reply to Thread" instead of just replying to someone else's post. Otherwise I'm liable to miss your question all together. Thanks!

#3 ·
Why doesn't specialized offer speedplay specific shoes?

#4 ·
I just went to buy a Keg Storage Vessel Specialized Bicycle Components because I think it is a great idea and I could get rid of my saddle bag. The problem is the Keg is way to small, even the guys at the shop I went to said the same thing. They wanted to display it and the tool wrap as shown online with the co2, tube, tire levers & tool, they couldn't get it to fit together. I took my stuff, tool, patch kit and tube and there was no way I could get my stuff to fit either, so no I am looking at some of the alternatives. I think it should be at least as big as a small water bottle. What would be even better is to offer two sizes, one the size of a small water bottle and the other the size of a large water bottle.

I do love my Secteur by the way.

SS-

#7 ·
I just went to buy a Keg Storage Vessel Specialized Bicycle Components because I think it is a great idea and I could get rid of my saddle bag. The problem is the Keg is way to small, even the guys at the shop I went to said the same thing. They wanted to display it and the tool wrap as shown online with the co2, tube, tire levers & tool, they couldn't get it to fit together. I took my stuff, tool, patch kit and tube and there was no way I could get my stuff to fit either, so no I am looking at some of the alternatives. I think it should be at least as big as a small water bottle. What would be even better is to offer two sizes, one the size of a small water bottle and the other the size of a large water bottle.

I do love my Secteur by the way.

SS-
@SilverStar07
I'm glad to hear you love your Secteur, those are rad bikes! The keg is certainly a snug fit and its optimized to carry just a few specific products. One suggestion I have is to try using one of our thinner turbo tubes instead of a regular weight tube in the wrap; that might free up just enough space.
I'll certainly pass your feedback on to the design team for future products. Thanks!

#5 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm part of the bike development team at Specialized and am here to talk about our road bikes and associated products. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions about the bikes. I'm here to help!

Thanks!
Joe,
Love your products.
Have to ask about the new COBL seatpost which directionally is great concept and maybe the future of more rigid rear triangle with compliancy built into the seatpost. But why in the world did the engineers go with a single Pave style bolt spec'ed at 10 ft-lbs to keep in place? A disappointment. I rode the Pave post with identical single bolt and it would lose its tilt adjustment on rough roads. Tell your chief engineer he should have made it 2 bolt like all other top seatposts on the market including Specialized very own 2 bolt seatpost. Your engineers could have easily made it a 2 bolt micro adjustable post that would never lose adjustment and be adjusted with lower torque.

Please let me know if you would convey my thoughts. I am a mechanical engineer btw.
Cheers and welcome to the forum.

#36 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have passed on your concerns about the single bolt post to the engineering team.
If the Pave post is setup properly and torqued to the correct value then it shouldn't be slipping on you; if it does slip you should contact your shop and Specialized Customer Service about a warranty.
The new C-GR post really is a game changer for riding on rough surfaces and we've done plenty of testing to ensure the clamp on these posts is secure while riding over rough terrain.

#8 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Hey Specialized Joe,

Can you get me a definite confirmation as to whether your "Plug and Play" fenders will fit MY2014 Roubaix Disc models.

It's been very annoying to receive so many conflicting reports from your own representatives (online and via phone) that I ended up going with an alternate brand. I really wanted them but I wasn't willing to be the guinea pig and order them only to have them not work. Providing this information clearly online would be very beneficial to future purchasers of your bike and myself.

#10 ·
A common question asked:

what's the weight of the various DT Axis wheelsets?

#16 ·
Now there is a good guess. And Venge Evo under Cav for TDF?

Oddly, I suspect Joe isn't going to answer that one, not smart marketing.

Here's a better one: Joe, can you guys make just one thing that DOENST fit well?
I'm sick of looking like a fan boy. The shoes, even the damn helmets, seem made for me. Something has to go.

#18 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
I have a 2011 Roubaix SL3 Expert. Since purchase, it's never shifted correctly. I have had it into the bike shop over and over and over again, and they have never been able to get the bike to consistently shift well. I posted here from time to time but not for a while as I basically gave up.

The recurring problem is that, when in my big ring up front, the bike will not shift up the rear cassette fluidly into the easier gear. I often have to double shift and then go back a gear. I have had the cables replaced, a pro tune, provided the shop with the service bulletin, etc. and the problem remains. The mechanic at the bike shop (a very large Specialized dealer with multiple locations) told me the 2011 Roubaix frame has issues and he has seen plenty of similar problems for that model year.

Wondering if it is possible that my frame has an issue that prevents it from smoothly shifting as described.

Are you aware of problems with the 2011 Roubaix SL3 frames?

Do you have any suggestions to solve this ongoing problem?

Thanks

#19 ·
I will answer for Joe as I own the identical bike. Shifting issues related to the bike itself is a myth. Reality is, your bike shop doesn't know how to set the bike up.
Ultegra 6700 and DA 7900 previous to the latest generation were more problematic on all bikes due to soft derailleur springs coupled with Shimano's first foray into under handlebar wrap cable routing which adds friction. Bad nexus.. My guess if you have a Shimano driveline. Further Specialized changed the spec for cable routing. Perform a search for 'California Cross'. Specialized has an installation PDF on line you can download. The cables should be crossed inside the downtube for least cable friction.
If you want you can post a picture and I will confirm what routing you have.
I built my Roubaix SL3 Pro...same as your Expert with Campy and it is the best shifting bike I have owned and I have owned a lot of bikes.
Shifting performance is largely set up related on all bikes. There is nothing wrong with the bike. Btw, the most problematic shifting internally cable routed bikes with Shimano driveline were internally cable routed S-series Cervelos where the cables entered the top tube right behind the steerer. Smaller housing radii = more internal cable friction.

#20 ·
I appreciate the response but we had the same discussion two years ago and my bike still does not shift properly. My bike shop is one of the largest Specialized dealers in the country with multiple locations and I have had it worked on by multiple people in multiple locations. I have given them the bulletin and even printed out our prior discussion on this exact issue with the California Cross. The bike has had the cables redone multiple times. I have had managers and head mechanics at different locations involved because of the ongoing problem.

The head mechanic at one location told me he has seen tons of problems with the 2011 SL3 and it's a known issue with some frames.

I guess it's possible that all the mechanics at three different locations of one of the largest Specialized dealers in the country can't set the bike up correctly but it seems highly unlikely to me.

#21 · (Edited)
Yes, as statistically improbable as your situation, the bike techs...I use this term loosely in your case, collectively don't have a clue. All of them. You can put them all in a room together and give them an IQ test and all would be below average.
There is NOTHING problematic about Specialized SL3 internal cable routing that contributes to poor shifting. Your problem could lie elsewhere and be even unrelated to the cable routing etc. I could walk you systematically through your poor shifting performance, but my sense is you wouldn't be able to follow it. This is why you defer to bike shops for your tune ups. Many of my club riding friends have high end bikes. What do I end up doing? Fix all the botched cable installations and poor shifting after they get their bikes back from the bike shop after a tune up.

If you want to do this over the web with me, it will take a meticulous approach. You start at the shifter and work back. It may involve you creating a video clip. You would learn a lot in the process and finally put your shifting issue to bed.
If you want to take the bike interior routing completely out of the equation, this is simple to do. You install a 2000mm housing and bare cable outside the bike routing. You connect directly from the shifter to the rear derailleur...no internal routing and ride the bike. This once and for all proves if cable routing has anything to do with poor shifting performance.

The way to root cause any shifting issue, is to pull the cable off the bike and start from the shifter and work back. First you have to start with the basics which means the hardware involved. Attach a Park Derailleur Hanger Adjustment tool on the rear hanger and make sure it is dead plum to the entire circumference of the rear wheel rim. You need to remove the rear wheel and cassette and check the freehub. You need to check the cassette for bent teeth or improper back cage (largest cogs) location, lockring torque etc. You need to check your axle cone tightness for axial play in your wheel bearings. I will state again, there is NOTHING in the bike geometry that contributes to poor shifting. The internal cables between shifter, bottom cable guide plate and end of chainstay where the loop to the derailleur is made are completely unfettered by any interference. There is in fact no difference in shifting performance between any Specialized SL3 bike with internal cable routing compared to an external cable routed bike. Why? Because the cables routed internally, do not touch anything. They are isolated in their own space and do not touch any adjacent frame tubes. So you need to lose your fixation on the problem being with the bike and focus on the rear wheel, derailleur hanger, front shifter and rear derailleur. What groupset do you have on the bike? My guess is its 6700 Ultegra or 7900 DA.
Good luck.

PS: if you want to start this process, I suggest you begin a new thread. Also you want to start with a very precise description of why your bike won't shift well e.g. only related to rear derailleur or does it affect front shifting? Is shifting performance poor stair stepping up the cassette (down shifting) or traversing down the cassette in back (upshifting) etc. ?

#22 ·
I run DA 9000 cables on my Roubaix SL4 with Shimano 105 5700. It shifts almost perfect every time. On my Roubaix SL2 with external cable routing the shifting with the stock Jagwire cables left a lot to be desired. I would get some skipping or stuttering on at least one ore two gears on the cassette. I had a loaner Roubaix SL4 with 6700 and Jagwire cables that shifted just as poorly as my SL2. I would highly recommend trying DA 9000 or Ultegra 6800 cables on your SL3.

#23 ·
I just put new cables on my bike and it shifts like a charm.
The only thing that got to me was, on my 2007 Roubaix, it had a piece of hose to put the front derailleur cable, on the 2012 it doesn't. I know how to get around that now, but it would sure help if the had that hose in all of them.

I did not use jagwire cables by the way. I used Shimano's brand, but I forget what they call them.

#34 ·
@mcwenzel

I'm really sorry to hear about the shifting saga on your bike-I understand how frustrating that can be for both you and the shop. We are aware of shifting issues on the Roubaix SL3 that affected some users.
We made a revised ICR entry kit as well as a revised BB cable guide kit that solved most issues. Do you know if you the shop installed those parts?

#44 ·
I agree with these statements. Specialized up prices the frames so a complete is a better bargain, but then cheaps out by offering Ultergra gropsets that are not a complete group. Sneaking in a 105 cassette and some FSA cranks.

More feedback, no one wants a FSA crank! People want an Ultegra crank and a matching cassette. A complete group.

Stop making wheels. If someone wants $2200 60mm deep clinchers they will pay the extra money and go with the wheel experts like Zipp, HED and ENVE.

I really do not need a speedplay specific shoe but its been almost a year and inventory on S-Works shoes, the Evade helmet and many of your frames has been out of stock for almost a year. You have virtually no S-Works Venge left in the warehouse, which tells me either an SL5 is on the way or somethings wrong.

Still, I am the proud owner of your S-Works Venge, S-Works shoes, even the 74's and the S-Works Evade in all black (which is not available in Europe for whatever reasoning) so I can't complain personally, but I would have made you more money if these things were available because I have lots of people who are interested, but wont miss another season over it.

#45 ·
Bingo. Specialized has lost sales to me in the past because of this practice. It's is also kind of an insult that they think people buying in this price range don't know these things and what they are doing.

I agree with these statements. Specialized up prices the frames so a complete is a better bargain, but then cheaps out by offering Ultergra gropsets that are not a complete group. Sneaking in a 105 cassette and some FSA cranks.
More feedback, no one wants a FSA crank! People want an Ultegra crank and a matching cassette. A complete group.

#83 ·
Hey there,
Sorry I missed your question last time through here....
I actually don't have a bare 9R frame here to weigh, they are all built up. However, the 56cm 10R frame with paint is 1012g and the fork is 355g with paint and 260mm steer tube. I imagine the 9R frameset is just a bit heavier. Also, keep in mind that these numbers vary + or - a bit due to paint and layup as well.

#58 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
For the Venge, have you explored hidden brake locations (e.g. behind the fork and seat tubes)?

What other areas are you exploring to change the Venge and make it even more aerodynamic?

#82 ·
Good question,
All 2014 Tarmac SL4 frames are compatible with the 303 wheels. Some 2013 frames might be compatible as well. We made the change to the frame during the production of those bikes. All 2012 Tarmac SL4 frames are not compatible with those wheels. Let me know if you have any further questions!

#61 ·
Specialized feedback/questions?

Hey everyone,

I'm part of the bike development team at Specialized and am here to talk about our road bikes and associated products. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions or about the bikes. I'm here to help!

Thanks!
Hi Joe Thanks for being on line :)

My Question is are you going to make some larger Tubeless Tyres?

Yes I know you have S-WORKS TURBO TUBELESS 700c x 24mm
and ROUBAIX ROAD TUBELESS 700c x 23/25mm

I would love to ride S-WORKS TURBO TUBELESS 700c x 26mm or ROUBAIX ROAD TUBELESS 700c x 25/28mm.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Kiwi Pete. . . . .

#69 ·
Hi Joe Thanks for being on line :)

My Question is are you going to make some larger Tubeless Tyres?

Yes I know you have S-WORKS TURBO TUBELESS 700c x 24mm
and ROUBAIX ROAD TUBELESS 700c x 23/25mm

I would love to ride S-WORKS TURBO TUBELESS 700c x 26mm or ROUBAIX ROAD TUBELESS 700c x 25/28mm.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Kiwi Pete. . . . .

Hey there,
I can't say whats in the pipeline for tubeless tires but I definitely see the need. I spent some time down in NZ and could have used some 28mm tubeless tires myself!

#62 ·
I have some actual questions Joe! Ceramicspeed bearings come installed on my S-W Venge. I also see some bearings come with the 2013 S-Works crank (Part #: 0621-1204). What are they? Steel? If my Ceramicspeed bearings go out of spec within the 2 year warranty they offer do I contact them, or go through Specialized? Also, on the S-W Crank I have there is no wave washer. Does the 3 point preload ring replace the necessity for the wave washer? Thanks.

#70 ·
Hey there, finally some questions I can answer! :thumbsup:

The bearings that come with the cranks are a steel bearing-the same bearing that comes on the non SW bikes.

CeramicSpeed should be the warranty contact on their bearings unless you are in a part of the world that they do not support. In that case, your LBS should contact their Specialized Service Center for warranty support.

You are correct. The newer cranks use the 3-point ring in lieu of the wave washer to adjust bearing preload. Take care to snug all 3 screws evenly so your cranks spin smoothly.

#63 ·
Joe,

How about:
1. A 2014 S-Works Roubaix in the Black option for the frameset only?
2. Get rid of the FSA cranksets. Have them come with a Praxis PF30 bottom bracket so that your bikes can come with an actual Ultegra crankset.
3. Make the groupsets full ultegra, not have them include a 105 cassette.
4. Offer a full matte black on all the S-works models. I don't care for the fancy color schemes and prefer a stealth, non-flashy black frame design that doesn't look dated after the new models come up the following year.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

#76 ·
Moderators Note

All of the off topic posts have been removed. Please stay on point going forward. And use the [!] button to report posts. Mods can't be everywhere at once, especially with our spammer friends about. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.