Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Specialized stems

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Horze 
#1 ·
I've read where a lot of people change the specialized stems out for something difference. Is it just a weight thing or something else?

#2 ·
Maybe both.

Many Specialized stems have sleeves in them. This allows more options for angles and such but adds weight.

I try to match my bars and stem usually by company. Not always but usually. So maybe there's that. Maybe they just want a Zipp stem or whatever.

Nothing wrong with Specialized stems though.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I put a Richey stem on mine, but I really don't notice any difference and that's what made me wonder. I do like the angle of the specialized better. The Richey stem is -/+ 6 and I should have put on 17 degree stem, to have it level. No big thing , but I don't care for that little bit of rise.

#4 ·
I switched both of my Specialized stems with Fizik stems.... but not because of any problem with the specialized stems, I just like the way the fizik stem mounts with the fizik barfly for the Garmin.. it is super clean and flush looking. The fizik stem just happens to be lighter and feels stiffer too, so that's a win-win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.