RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Specialized Tarmac Pro Compact or Specialized Tarmac Expert Compact

I'm looking into purchasing a new road bike and basically looking into buying a Specialized. Is it worth the extra money to buy the Specialized Tarmac Pro Compact vs Specialized Tarmac Expert Compact?

Specialized Tarmac Pro Compact
    # Specialized FACT 8r carbon frame, Az1 construction, compact race design
    # Specialized FACT monocoque carbon fork; full carbon legs, crown and steerer
    # S-Works FACT carbon stem and S-Works SL FACT carbon aero handlebar, short-reach drop, 31.8mm clamp
    # Shimano Dura-Ace rear derailleur and shifter levers
    # FSA K-Force MegaExo, 2-piece carbon crankset with 50x34T compact chainrings
    # Mavic Kysrium Elite wheelset
    # Body Geometry Toupé Team saddle

Specialized Tarmac Expert Compact
    # Specialized FACT monocoque carbon fork; full carbon legs, crown and steerer w/ Speed Zertz
    # Specialized Pro-Set lightweight stem and Specialized Pro, 7050 alloy bars, short-reach drop, ergonomic top shaping, 31.88mm
    # Shimano Dura-Ace, short cage rear derailleur
    # FSA SL-K MegaExo, 2-piece carbon crankset with compact 50x34T chainrings
    # Mavic Kysrium Equipe wheelset
    # Body Geometry Toupé Team saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Yes go for the Pro.
    07 Roubaix Pro, Dura-Ace pedals, Garmin 305, S-Works shoes.

Growing Older, Not Up
    Sep 2005
    Go for the Pro if you have the cash.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm building my Pro tonight, Bettini WC colors, you can't beat it if you can get an '07 on closeout . see my thread my new Tarmac Pro
    -Wes

RoadBikeReview Member
    pro, best bang for buck.if you dont mind the crank and roval wheels, it has the best value for the $$$. Personally, id throw on a durace carbon crank and call it a day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Hard to give a solid answer without knowing your actual cost difference and your riding profile. Are you a racer concerned with each gram and willing to pay for small gains in frame stiffness, or a recreational rider who enjoys a good weekend hammerfest?
    Are both bikes 07's? Seems like it from the wheelsets listed. For 08 the Pro has Rovals and the Expert gets Fulcrum 5's.

As a "spirited" recreational rider (4k mi/yr) I would have a tough time justifying the $1000+ cost differential (est from Specialized website) for essentially DA levers (vs Ultegra) and K-force (vs SLK) cranks. Sure DA levers are nice, but the upgrade over Ultegra is small (except for the bling factor). The Elite vs Equipe wheels is a relatively minor upgrade (same hubs, different rims, a bit lighter), and I would be looking to upgrade either one anyway. The Pro is supposed to be a slightly lighter (150g?), "better" frame, but from Specialized's own tests the 07 Expert (which was the top-line Sworks in 05 if I recall) is still a superb frame by any objective standard. Perhaps Boonen can tell a difference with the newer Pro frame, but I sure can't. For my $$, I would buy the Expert and put the savings into some nicer handbuilt wheels.