Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Specialized Tricross for my intro to road riding?

12K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  jaansk 
#1 ·
First post on RBR: woohoo!

A little background first. I am a mountain biker, riding a full-suspension Giant Trance (I have the same username over on mtbr). I have never ridden a road bike, except a couple of short test rides. I'm getting tired of pushing the mountain bike around on the streets, so it's time to get a road bike. The question is, which one/what kind?

I have no aspirations to race. I tried a flatbar road bike but would like the drop bars for multiple hand positions and cause I live in a windy area (also with lots of hills, not incidentally). I want a road bike that I can stick fenders and a rack on for errands, commuting around town, but also be able to put skinny tires on and go for a longer ride in the countryside.

Lately I came across the Specialized Tricross which looks like it might be the bike for me. It can do racks and fenders, has drop bars, geometry isn't racy/aggressive. Anyone have experience with this bike? The local LBS can order one in (none in stock, sadly) for $1250 (that is Canadian $). They also have a 2005 Specialized Allez Sport for $999, which looks like it can also take a rack/fenders on the back, but I didn't see mounting points for a front fender. Does anyone know off hand if the Allez Sport frame can do racks and fenders front and back?

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
I have a buddy with a Tricross and loves it. it takes fenders, pedals extremely fast, and you can take it in the dirt. Besides people will look at you with absolute amazement when you pass them with a bike with 28c knobby tires and they're on something they spent way to much money on to make them look faster than they actually are.

#6 ·
I just got a Tricross Comp for my local mtb loop. I have been riding this loop mostly on my singlespeed mtb, but I thought the Tricross would be interesting. I also have no aspirations of racing cross (I race DH mtb).

I've still been setting it up (new tires, pedals, etc.), so I can't yet comment on how it rides. But I sure look forward to it! Hopefully this weekend, I'll get out on it, but since I'm heading up to Whistler next week to go DH riding, I doubt I will be able to ride it for a few weeks.

#8 ·
turdferguson79 said:
Nope. The name comes from an SNL Celebrity Jeopardy skit :D
[One of the most funny skits ever on snl. Big hat’s are funny...I have this skit as part of Will F’s ‘best of’ set]

I have ridden a bud’s Tricross who just loves it’s all purpose ride. Braking at tops and drops is nice for technical needs on various conditions [especially comming from mountain experience]. Fork carbon and aft Zertz inserts damp nicely without terrible loss for feel for what’s under tire. Speaking of tires. That Tricross runs with the stock Specialized Borough 28mm which is smooth at contact and knobbed on side. Not a tire that I would personally use for Cross but works pretty well as I took it from road to rough gravel to loose dirt on a loop around a state park recently. Also like his dudeness mentions, I smoked a guy running up a 6 percent smoothy who was on a 23mm wheeled Italian feather. Sure I was gassed afterwards and certainly missed my Roubaix, but it was fun.

So while I found the Tricross solid and smooth FWIW I’m willing to bet that you’ll someday purchase a ‘pure’ road bike. Like a mountain bike [hard tail or suspension] does its thing expertly for the conditions you pick to ride so too for road bikes. Aero position, nimble and responsive handling, are hard characteristics to ignore if you are even mildly competitive on the road. While I found the Tricross a great blend, it will never serve either extreme expertly.

Good riding:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. The Tricross Sport Triple is now mine! :thumbsup: I'm loving it so far. No, it's not a pure road race bike (one day I'll go all the way), but it's a hell of a lot faster on the road than my dual-suspension mountain bike. I'll get some pictures of the Tricross to post soon. So far I've been using it to ride to work, university, and my friends' places and I've got a rack and panniers coming so I can forgo the messenger bag when I have a lot to carry.

#15 ·
Congrats on the Tricross Sport!

I got my 08 Comp 4 weeks ago. Sometimes I wish I had a somewhat more aggressive ride on the road but you can't beat the versatility.
Last week I made a 60 k to the countryhouse. The last 12km was gravel with occasional heavy bumpyness. The tricross handled well on climbs and descents.

Best,

J.

#17 ·
I did a 110km ride yesterday on my Tricross Comp. The hills were tough on the legs but it was the first century for me.
Anyway it seems that the Rival saddle needed a bit of braking in. When I rode a 60k the week before my sitbones did not feel too good. It's not that the saddle is not cushioned enough or smth but after a while it seemed like I wasn't sitting in the right place on the saddle. Yesterdays 110k was much better but still a hint of discomfort.
I think I'll experiment with adjusting the saddle just a tad forward and see how it goes.
If my bottom doesn't like it I'll be thinking of the Phenom (SL) or Selle Italia SLR kit Carbon Flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.