Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013

Specs on Fulcrum S4 Wheels

Can't seem to find any details about them on either the Specialized or Fulcrum web sites.

Looking for weight and rim width ...... and cost of the wheels alone.

Also, are they tubeless compatible?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by riderrider View Post
    Can't seem to find any details about them on either the Specialized or Fulcrum web sites.

Looking for weight and rim width ...... and cost of the wheels alone.

Also, are they tubeless compatible?
    Fulcrum 4 wheelset is what is sold on OEM full bike only and not available from Fulcrum directly. Fulcrum 4 is comprised of Fulcrum 3 hub and Fulcrum 5 rim. So look up rim weight for a Fulcrum 5 wheel which you should be able to find.
    Wheel weight of 4's is likely in the mid 1600g range...lighter than 5's and heavier than Fulcrum 3's.

As to tubeless ready...Fulcrum 5 rim isn't '2 way fit'...Fulcrum's nomenclature for tubeless compatible.

Outside rim width: std 21.5mm.

My impression of Fulcrum wheels?...which is what I ride...among the best designed and built production wheelsets available...made by Campy.

Lost in Space...
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    Fulcrum 4 is comprised of Fulcrum 3 hub and Fulcrum 5 rim.
    I was under the impression that Fulcrum 3 hub is cup&cone while Fulcrum 4 hub has a cartridge bearing...

banned
    Nov 2011
    If any question about wheelset content, best to contact Fulcrum customer support. They are most helpful.
    Fulcrum 5's have cartridge bearings and Fulcrum, 3, 1 and 0 are loose ball hubs. If Fulcrum 4's have cartridge bearings then they have Fulcrum 5 hubs with Fulcrum 3 rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I put the 3s on my bike about 1000 miles ago and I think they are great wheels. They are still true as the day I got them. I had 5s, but sold them with my other bike. I didn't have any problems with they either. I just wanted to try the 3s and I'm glad I did. Oh, 1550 grams with the 3s.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by George M View Post
    I put the 3s on my bike about 1000 miles ago and I think they are great wheels. They are still true as the day I got them. I had 5s, but sold them with my other bike. I didn't have any problems with they either. I just wanted to try the 3s and I'm glad I did. Oh, 1550 grams with the 3s.
    3's really are great wheels. IMHO however, they just aren't worth twice the cost of 5's for a few grams more weight. 3's are also stiffer and 5's are adequately stiff for a strong rider out of the saddle and will give a better ride. But 3's will spool up a fraction faster. And of course if you have 1 large to spend, 1's 0's are outstanding....super light and uber stiff...great race wheels. So all what you want and many great options in the Fulcrum family.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I sent Fulcrum an e-mail asking them to provide more detail on the Fulcrum 4's so we will see if I get a reply and what they say.
    2015 Specialized Tarmac, Ultegra 6800, HED C2 rims
    2014 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Ultegra 6800, HED C 2 rims.
    2012 Giant Defy Advanced 2, Ultegra, Pacenti SL 23 rims.
    Moots VaMoots, Dura-Ace, Pacenti SL 23 rims

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinosx View Post
    I sent Fulcrum an e-mail asking them to provide more detail on the Fulcrum 4's so we will see if I get a reply and what they say.
    I received a reply back from Fulcrum;
    "Racing 4 is OEM only and customer for specialized only, it is not sold after market so therefore not on our website. Racing 4 in fact is a racing 3 rim (clincher) racing 5 hub and custom spokes."

banned
    Nov 2011
    I received a reply back from Fulcrum;
    "Racing 4 is OEM only and customer for specialized only, it is not sold after market so therefore not on our website. Racing 4 in fact is a racing 3 rim (clincher) racing 5 hub and custom spokes."
    Hi Darwin,
    Good to have the confirmation and will add, the best combination of lightweight Fulcrum 3 rim and Fulcrum 5 hubs.
    Tell of the tape isn't just about static weight of wheels but also rotating mass/angular momentum/moment of inertia. Heavier hubs is less of an issue compared to a heavy-ish rim because mass is closer to center rotation that doesn't have momentum and inertia.

Below are a couple of pics of a Fulcrum 5 rear hub teardown. I just performed maintenance on my Fulcrum 5 wheelset. This is what is inside your rear hub Darwin. Fulcrum 5 uses cartridge bearings which are inexpensive to replace. If you have to knock cartridge bearings out of the freehub...a bit more fiddly to extract the inner bearing that is held in place with a circlip. All my bearings are in pretty good shape with about 6K miles on them. Freehub and female ratchet needed cleaning and regrease and now are like silk.

You should enjoy your Fulcrum 4's...a good sweet spot for an overall riding wheel. You really can't beat Campy hubs or wheels for the $$.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specs on Fulcrum S4 Wheels-campy-fulcrum-5-axle-spacers-freehub.jpg   Specs on Fulcrum S4 Wheels-campy-fulcrum-female-ratchet-10-23-13.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks, useful to know. So far they have been fine expect for the seam which causes ticking when I brake.
    Loving the bike and the new Ultegra. it's so smooth and quiet when shifting that I have to look down to see if it shifted sometimes.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Thanks, useful to know. So far they have been fine expect for the seam which causes ticking when I brake.
    Loving the bike and the new Ultegra. it's so smooth and quiet when shifting that I have to look down to see if it shifted sometimes.
    You gotta be lovin that bike...state of the art. Can't beat the new Roubaix SL4. Also can't beat new 11s Ultegra and the wheels are great as well. Fantastic machine.
    I have about 5K miles on mine and it has been exceptional. Great memories of centuries, group rides including more than a few hammerfests with those intent on punishing me.
    Ride safe and often.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I wasn't really expecting to notice difference but on longer rides like 50 miles plus I'm definitely fresher.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I wasn't really expecting to notice difference but on longer rides like 50 miles plus I'm definitely fresher.
    Really is the beauty of the bike. I routinely ride with two friends who both ride slammed racing frames..one on a Cervelo Soloist and the other on a TCR. On the back half of a century is where I really feel the advantage and notice they become more fatigued. Also the position of the Roubaix promotes more usage of the drops versus a bike with a lower handlebar. Perhaps the best testament is always...would I buy the same bike again. Without question. In fact, I still don't want a Tarmac or Venge because I just don't want to put my body in a more aggressive position or get more beat up on the road. I feel I am faster on the Roubaix because of ride quality and position. In a 20 mile ride, a Venge is probably going to be a faster bike if speed is the nth degree priority...say as a crit bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    These don't look like the racing 3 rims on the Fulcrum web site. Those show a milled rim which mine don't have.
    FULCRUM Wheels - Products: Racing 3

RoadBikeReview Member
    These don't look like the racing 3 rims on the Fulcrum web site. Those show a milled rim which mine don't have.
    FULCRUM Wheels - Products: Racing 3

Yes, that's the rim I have on my 3s. Also check out the hubs from the picture. They are not 5s hubs.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Well then Darwin, quite possible the Fulcrum rep you emailed got it exactly wrong. Sounds like you may have Fulcrum 5 rims with Fulcrum 3 hubs.

If the case, the silver lining is...any combination of Fulcrum 5 and 3 is good. Fulcrum 5 rims should be fractionally stronger because they are heavier and hard to beat the loose ball bearing hub design of the Fulcrum 3. Fulcrum 5 hubs by contrast...per the pics I posted are cartridge bearing. All Campy higher end hubs from Record to Fulcrum 0 and 1 and 3 are all loose ball. The seam tick you speak of will likely evaporate with time. I don't notice it with my Fulcrum 5 wheels which have been great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Specs on Fulcrum S4 Wheels

Well then Darwin, quite possible the Fulcrum rep you emailed got it exactly wrong. Sounds like you may have Fulcrum 5 rims with Fulcrum 3 hubs.

If the case, the silver lining is...any combination of Fulcrum 5 and 3 is good. Fulcrum 5 rims should be fractionally stronger because they are heavier and hard to beat the loose ball bearing hub design of the Fulcrum 3. Fulcrum 5 hubs by contrast...per the pics I posted are cartridge bearing. All Campy higher end hubs from Record to Fulcrum 0 and 1 and 3 are all loose ball. The seam tick you speak of will likely evaporate with time. I don't notice it with my Fulcrum 5 wheels which have been great.
    I would actually prefer the heavier but stronger rims and better hub than the opposite.

Lost in Space...
    I would actually prefer the heavier but stronger rims and better hub than the opposite.
    Same here. I've been debating picking up a set of the Fulcrum 3's to put on my Paramount. I'm not a fan of cartridge bearings (granted, it's an unfounded preference since I've never given them a chance). I really don't care about weight, so long as they aren't pushing 1700grams/set.

banned
    Nov 2011
    If you have brake seam weld as discussed, you have the heavier aka stonger Fulcrum 5rims with higher end Fulcrum 3 loose ball cone and cup bearing hubs.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    Same here. I've been debating picking up a set of the Fulcrum 3's to put on my Paramount. I'm not a fan of cartridge bearings (granted, it's an unfounded preference since I've never given them a chance). I really don't care about weight, so long as they aren't pushing 1700grams/set.
    There is really no discernible difference in performance between good quality aka ABEC-5 or better cartridge bearing hubs and loose ball cone and cup. In fact, if you want to punch out stock cartridge bearings and incur the needless expense of ceramic cartridge bearings, latter may offer less bearing drag than any loose ball bearings. Plus, the sealing of cartridge bearings is very good...and they are very easy to replace without any concern of degradation to the hub itself i.e. the cup side of the bearing. You can't go wrong with any Fulcrum wheels really Fulcrum 3's weight 15xx grams. Further, Campy is always upgrading their wheelsets and making them lighter if not stronger. Be sure to look into Campy Specific wheels like Zondas or Scirrocco's. Fulcrum 3's would be excellent for your Paramount. Btw, do you have a picture of your bike? I have owned a couple and have many fond memories. You building with Campy?

One big consideration today is what groupset you are going to run. If new Sram or Shimano 11s, you want to get the latest hub with deeper wheel dish...even if you are running 10s. Run with a spacer until you upgrade for cross compatibility. Lots of wheelsets on ebay because of this btw, so research this point. There is a more insidious prospect explored by Zinn a while back. Spacing between Campy 11s and Shimano/Sram 11s is close enough for good functionality.
    Last edited by roadworthy; 11-02-2013 at 03:41 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I know that these 4s are OEM on a new bike but how do they compare to the Mavic Kysrium SL wheels? I'm looking to get a Roubaix Expert but the warden says I have to sell my current bike and wheelset beforre I place the order. So just curious as to know how these stock wheels compare.

Lost in Space...
    Be sure to look into Campy Specific wheels like Zondas or Scirrocco's. Fulcrum 3's would be excellent for your Paramount. Btw, do you have a picture of your bike? I have owned a couple and have many fond memories. You building with Campy?
    It's a 60th anniversary Paramount built in Redmond, WA. (1998). It's mostly built up, but I'll probably change a few things out as I work out the kinks (the grey anodized centaur brakes that I picked up clash with the red in the paint, for example, so I'll likely just grab a set of the Athena skeleton calipers. The main thing that I'm waiting on, at the moment, is the wheels... I like the Fulcrum 3, with the white hub, and the spoke pattern. I'm not as fond of the spoke pattern on the Zondas. I don't care for the larger gaps between sets. Anyways, it will be a mixed Chorus(RD, ERGO)/ Centaur (FD, UT Crank, brakes) build. Also considering the 32h Record/DTS465 combo that handspun makes, WhiteT11/OpenPro combo from VeloMine, or possibly (if I can find some NOS silver hubs for a reasonable price), matching them up with Velocity asymmetric a23's with the polished silver look. I'll start a thread when I throw it all together.

Specs on Fulcrum S4 Wheels-img_6760.jpg
    Last edited by headloss; 11-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I look forward to your thread when you get it all together. I have a soft spot for the early Paramounts because these were the most desirable bikes when I was a kid. Most of us rode Varsities and Continentals and Paramounts were a bit out of reach for the average kid. Of course we know what happened to Schwinn moving forward...

Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    It's a 60th anniversary Paramount built in Redmond, WA. (1998). It's mostly built up, but I'll probably change a few things out as I work out the kinks (the grey anodized centaur brakes that I picked up clash with the red in the paint, for example, so I'll likely just grab a set of the Athena skeleton calipers. The main thing that I'm waiting on, at the moment, is the wheels... I like the Fulcrum 3, with the white hub, and the spoke pattern. I'm not as fond of the spoke pattern on the Zondas. I don't care for the larger gaps between sets. Anyways, it will be a mixed Chorus(RD, ERGO)/ Centaur (FD, UT Crank, brakes) build. Also considering the 32h Record/DTS465 combo that handspun makes, WhiteT11/OpenPro combo from VeloMine, or possibly (if I can find some NOS silver hubs for a reasonable price), matching them up with Velocity asymmetric a23's with the polished silver look. I'll start a thread when I throw it all together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6760.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	288562

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I switched my Fulcrums from my 2014 Roubaix Expert to a set of Neuvations with Mich PRO 4 tires. The bike lost 13 oz. Its down to 16 lb. 12 oz in a size 54cm with pedals and cages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dougrocky123 View Post
    I switched my Fulcrums from my 2014 Roubaix Expert to a set of Neuvations with Mich PRO 4 tires. The bike lost 13 oz. Its down to 16 lb. 12 oz in a size 54cm with pedals and cages.
    Mine have held up pretty well considering my size but I'm going to get some Ultegra 6800 hubs and have them laced to Pacenti SL 23 rims. I want something more bulletproof with better hubs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast