RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

Switching from 07 Roubaix to 17 Tarmac

Its time to change my trusty old Roubaix & iíve always fancied a Tarmac. Mostly used for 40-60 mile hilly rides. Over time iíve found the stem on my Roubaix just sits too high even with a flat top headset cap. I was wondering how rigid/harsh the Tarmac is on general roads. I had heard that the Venge was the boneshaker of the range now & was wondering if the Tarmac could be equally as compliant as my old (2007) bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If your flexibity is still good, it should't be an issue. The tarmac will ride a little harsher, but dropping a few psi(s) in the tires should balance everything out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 17 Tarmac Comp and love it. It feels great on long rides, climbs, sprints, and downhill confidence inspiring. I do dare say its more comfortable than my Domane 5.2 I had.
    When I got it I was really sour about press fit BBs. My tarmac came with a threaded BB and DI2.
    For a lower end Tarmac, I cannot say enough good things about my bike.

Not a climber
    Just put the biggest tires on it that you can fit. See if 28s will fit on there or research to see if anyone has tried before. Run the tire pressure a bit lower and you'll be golden. For ultimate comfort, go tubeless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I had Roubaix 2013 and I have 2015 S-works Tarmac at the same time. I end up selling my Roubaix, mostly because it's too sluggish . Comfort wise is different and I could feel it but that didn't bother me much. I would rather feel a little harsh but feel connected to the road and feel the responsiveness. Ironically, I replaced my Roubaix with Allez Sprint. It's a different topic, but if you want a budget performance bike then that's the one. Now Tarmac feels like Roubaix, but I love both of them. I'm not young anymore. I used to race but now just a weekend warrior. I just turn 50 but I don't think I need Roubaix now.