Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I thought it was this thread, but I can't find the post so it must've been another... but I know that someone (MMsRepBike, maybe) said that a lot of the pro were complaining of the front fork flexing under braking and the front brake would hit the down tube... Look at these pics of Kittel's Vias from today in belgium.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    that's only suppose to be an issue on the smaller frames I believe, 54 and below

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Maybe it's throwing down 1600w+ too

Forever a Student
    Yeah, it was me I think, I've seen it in person. I do a lot of high speed descents with fast and hard braking before turns and I've heard it hit and seen the same thing as pictured above. I think the guy has a size 54.

I know that the disc brake version is out there being tested and whatnot but I've yet to see much talk about the normal rim brake version I saw a while back. Wonder if they plan on putting that out to the public or not.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I am guessing it will be even heavier with discs (for those that care about that kind of thing), but maybe that will help address some of these other issues. At the end of the day, I expected a better all-around design and I wouldn't be surprised if this gets updated sooner rather than later. Here's the disc version.

Is the Specialized Venge Vias getting a disc brake option? - Bikerumor

Specialized Venge Vias disc photos leaked? | Cyclist
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Quiet moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I've yet to see much talk about the normal rim brake version I saw a while back.
    I think much interest in the Venge ViAS has decreased since its release. For many people, the faults of the bike don't outweighs the pros. I can see why it really hasn't taken off. Especially in light of the other options available on the market.

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    I just got on mine this week -- S-Works version with Hed Jet 9 Black wheelset. I friggin love it -- braking feels awesome and the bike is a rocket ship. I'm coming from a Cervelo S3 Di2 w/ Hed Jet 6 Black wheels. This bike does it all, can't wait to put more miles on!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdwyer23 View Post
    I'm coming from a Cervelo S3 Di2 w/ Hed Jet 6 Black wheels. !
    Enjoy the new bike! What year was the S3?

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by faroodi View Post
    Enjoy the new bike! What year was the S3?
    2015 w/ Ultegra Di2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdwyer23 View Post
    2015 w/ Ultegra Di2.
    What's your perspective on how they compare?

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    I've been on it for 2 weeks at this point, swapped out the stock Roval CLX64 for Hed Jet 9 Black. Other than that, stock. I absolutely love it. The thing is a rocket ship. When you stomp on it, it just goes, whether seated or out of the saddle. I find the braking to be excellent and on par with my previous rim brake experiences.

Taking it up one of the local mountains (gibraltar rd in SB) in the next few weekends, can't wait to rip it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sagan win the last stage of the Tour de Suisse '16 and the overall GC lead with his Venge ViAS! Anyone know what kind of changes Specialized had made to Sagan's frame vs last year's ViAS?

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
    Sagan win the last stage of the Tour de Suisse '16 and the overall GC lead with his Venge ViAS! Anyone know what kind of changes Specialized had made to Sagan's frame vs last year's ViAS?
    The facts are a little wrong... he didn't win the last stage, the race isn't over yet. He won stage 2 and 3, both on the ViAS and he currently has the overall, but he'll probably lose it once the race goes into the mountains... I say probably because I've learned never to count him out.

I don't believe that Specialized has mad any changes.... other than some people have noted external cable holes molded into the frames because the teams run non-standard bars and stems as per sponsor agreements, but that's been covered in the thread already. He rode the ViAS a few days in California, but it seems like any day that involves climbing, even if i may ultimately result in a sprint, he rides the Tarmac.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    The facts are a little wrong... he didn't win the last stage, the race isn't over yet. He won stage 2 and 3, both on the ViAS and he currently has the overall, but he'll probably lose it once the race goes into the mountains... I say probably because I've learned never to count him out.

I don't believe that Specialized has mad any changes.... other than some people have noted external cable holes molded into the frames because the teams run non-standard bars and stems as per sponsor agreements, but that's been covered in the thread already. He rode the ViAS a few days in California, but it seems like any day that involves climbing, even if i may ultimately result in a sprint, he rides the Tarmac.
    I'm a moderate weight weenie... I sure wish it was lighter, because I've seen a few built up properly.. DA9000 or Etap. Zipp NSW kinds of builds and it's a beautiful bike. I should ask my LBS to loan me one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    I'm a moderate weight weenie... I sure wish it was lighter, because I've seen a few built up properly.. DA9000 or Etap. Zipp NSW kinds of builds and it's a beautiful bike. I should ask my LBS to loan me one.
    Aren't Zipp NSW similar in weight to rovals?

RoadBikeReview Member
    the Tarmac is definitely a climber's bike. I don't foresee many people using the venge/ViAS on the climbing stages.

What's odd, saw Sagan on the ViAS during the wet stages. Last year during the TdF, many Specialized riders were bashing the brakes, especially during wet weather. Seeing Sagan rocking the ViAS, I thought spesh made changes to the bike...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
    the Tarmac is definitely a climber's bike. I don't foresee many people using the venge/ViAS on the climbing stages.

What's odd, saw Sagan on the ViAS during the wet stages. Last year during the TdF, many Specialized riders were bashing the brakes, especially during wet weather. Seeing Sagan rocking the ViAS, I thought spesh made changes to the bike...
    I know a lot of the etixx vias bikes have had standard sponsor bars with external routing to where the cables normally go into the frame but yesterday Sagan was in a full ViAS build with complete internal routing, in the rain where supposedly the braking isn't as good. Could that just have been the riders not being used to the feel of the brakes during the last tour?

Forever a Student
    Could be the new brake pads they're using. Plus Spec said those early bikes were "prototypes" whatever that means.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Imagine braking issues from last years TdF were from poor brake pads! The irony! Glad to see more riders winning races for the ViAS this year!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Did a short test ride on one today. It felt faster, snappier and stiffer than my current venge while at the same time being smoother. It had all the spacers still in so I felt a little cramped by how high up the handlebars were but overall I was pleasantly surprised by it. I wouldnt drop 13k on it but once they have more reasonable models or prices I would consider getting one. Haven't been on the new madone yet though.

I was really impressed by the power saddle and will probably pick one up for my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I love my ViAS, I only wish I waited a year to buy it since Specialized just reduced them 25% during the month of July. Guess they need to move inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I love my ViAS, I only wish I waited a year to buy it since Specialized just reduced them 25% during the month of July. Guess they need to move inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They wouldn't be doing this because they have upcoming design changes to it and need to move the "old" new stuff?, still the price is pretty tempting for the pro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

"Venge Brakes No Longer Terrible" .... This might be the reason for the discount....

Trying to clear inventory before introducing mid-production tweaks to the brakes, Vias 2.0?
    I'd hope that the changes also include whatever it takes to keep the front brake from scraping the downtube under heaving braking in downhill turns... or maybe a Win Tunnel miracle occurred and they've figured out a way to make that coming disc version so aero that's the only version they'll have?
    Yu and co. are good and I wouldn't put that past them.
    Seems from this report below that there was somewhat more of a controversy over the brakes in the pro peloton than the various hints that have emerged. Sagan and Cavendish seemed really unhappy with them at times, but both have (or in Cavendish's case HAVE had) close ties with Specialized and knew that being publicly and explicitly vocal would cost the company hundreds of thousands or maybe millions, in sales.
    Modifications would be an admission by the company that the issues are real, and human nature being what it is, people would shy away from initial version... though pretty much every real world rider who has reported in here and elsewhere don't seem to have major concerns.

From Velonews "tour notebook":
    Venge brakes no longer terrible
    Etixx – Quick-Step has new internals in the integrated brakes on its Specialized Venge frames. They are a dramatic improvement. The brakes were a source of tension between Mark Cavendish and former sponsor Specialized at the Tour last year. Tech editor Dan Cavallari overheard Max Richeze say the brakes are now “perfect” upon returning from a test ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I would hope they would let the early adopters retrofit the newer brakes, but we shall see. I have asked my dealer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    But there doesn't seem to be major issue, right? I mean, you'd be noticing. If they are going to give them out free it's surely worth the swap out, but beyond that seems like it would depend on the cost vs how good or bad you think your brakes are...
    Seems like one of those things the company would not be doing a free recall on but maybe would do it at cost, likely on an informal case by case basis, that's probably the likely best case scenario.
    Worst case they say pay retail for the parts.
    Either way, that story makes it sound like its a straightforward retrofit and the new parts will work on your bike.
    It also sounds like their claims that the problems fav etc had were just with early prototypes were a marketing fib.
    But... it just doesn't seem clear that the problem(s) are huge.
    Clearly tons of people bought the bikes and it doesn't seem like there has been a huge outcry... You use those brakes, what do you think? Is it kind of pro-level nitpicking?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast