Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I agree. I don't think there is really anything wrong with the current brakes. I am just saying if they did find a way to make them better by improving the design and lengthening the spring slightly, I would prefer to have the latest and greatest if possible (especially if they would be willing to do a free swap). If it cost to swap, then I am not sure I would make the switch, depending on the cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    no more sale I guess, just got an email saying they made a mistake?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
    Pretty big mistake. It wasn't like it just a line that was wrong. There was a whole write up of the sale. It's almost like someone changed their mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I just saw that email too. I guess they jumped the gun too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I agree. I don't think there is really anything wrong with the current brakes. I am just saying if they did find a way to make them better by improving the design and lengthening the spring slightly, I would prefer to have the latest and greatest if possible (especially if they would be willing to do a free swap). If it cost to swap, then I am not sure I would make the switch, depending on the cost.

Are these the existing brake calipers or are they new/improved ones?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    The one on the right supposedly is the new one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Are these the existing brake calipers or are they new/improved ones?

here is a quick read with what's been upgraded to the ViAS brakes...

Tour Tech 2016: Peter Sagan?s Specialized Venge ViAS | road.cc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I just saw that email too. I guess they jumped the gun too soon.

They definitely had a sale going on and changed their minds. They actually changed the prices on their website for a while. I am not sure what it all means, just weird.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    MikesBikes in NorCal still has them on CLOSEOUT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    ya not sure what their thinking is, maybe 2 wins in 4 stages and they thought that might make people want to go out and buy one? Don't think it has anything to do with the new brakes the whole time. I received word from someone inside specialized that original owners will be taken care of and they said to stay tuned in the coming month or so. Mikes Bikes has had them on sale before, that's how I originally got mine last August.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    I was thinking the same thing, 2 wins in 4 stages and them thinking they could go back to the larger markup. A couple wins in the tdf wouldn't convince me to pay more for it. The sale prices actually had me considering putting off my mtb plans for a 3rd year to get the pro but at normal prices I'm back to the mtb plans.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    The sale email and retraction thing (attached below) is just crazy. The wording of it is like something out of a politician trying to avoid saying anything at all about ... anything.
    This is NOT the Specialized I'm used to, with well-honed PR and marketing.
    It may well have nothing at all to do with brakes, but it's starting to feel like the bike has some sort of low-grade curse on it.
    Clearly the company flatly lied about the nature of the issues the pros raised last year, that it was all because they were on early prototypes.
    As to the actual changes, it sounds like they want the things to release more quickly and have a bit more modulation -- longer spring, bushing with less friction. Doesn't look huge, but if they are truly going to do the mod for free they are conceding it's a genuine problem that should be fixed. But the head-fake sale...geez, this is all just too weird.
    Bottom line, though, is that clearly the bike isn't holding back sagan or kittel and 2424 likes his...

AND NOW, THE RELEGATION
    It happens all the time in the sprint—your head is down, the elbows are out, and you're full-steam ahead before you realize you've been put on the barriers. For lack of a better metaphor, this is what happened when we told you that our Venge ViAS was going to be on sale.

We'd like to apologize for calling our line wrong with this promotion—we jumped our sprint too soon. We'll lead it out better on the next stage.

Thanks for understanding.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper8888 View Post
    This is NOT the Specialized I'm used to, with well-honed PR and marketing.
    Oh yes it is. You're just starting to see the light a little bit now.

You must not have been around when Chris Yu came here to back up their marketing claims and got destroyed and left with his tail between his legs.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Oh yes it is. You're just starting to see the light a little bit now.

You must not have been around when Chris Yu came here to back up their marketing claims and got destroyed and left with his tail between his legs.
    I remember him not hanging around for long but no the getting destroyed part. I'm sure he had better things to do then lurk in forums all day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I don't recall exactly what was discussed, but Chris always seems like a very stand up and honest guy who's willing to explain and share the insight into the design.

Forever a Student
    I don't recall exactly what was discussed, but Chris always seems like a very stand up and honest guy who's willing to explain and share the insight into the design.
    Maybe go back and read it. He was completely unwilling to answer my questions or lay out where their numbers came from. He wouldn't even share any data at all about the Vias frame alone. There was no being stand up at all there and there was no explanation about anything. He refused to answer the questions and left.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Yeah, for whatever reason they did it, you have to question whether you want to do business with a company that puts a sale on and then retracts it 3 days later. Just bad business ethics. Having owned a couple of Robaix's, I was thinking of jumping into a Venge given the sale. Now I'm thinking of jumping to another manufacturer. Shame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Maybe go back and read it. He was completely unwilling to answer my questions or lay out where their numbers came from. He wouldn't even share any data at all about the Vias frame alone. There was no being stand up at all there and there was no explanation about anything. He refused to answer the questions and left.

You and the OP are both right I think, and that's not a really a contradiction. He came and answered a bunch of questions pretty straight up, but I think he was essentially here to deal head on with the skepticism and throat-clearing over their various conflations to get to 5 minutes, not with harder, kind of crisis-PR management stuff when the going got tough.
    ....so when the hard questions started about why Cavendish and Sagan weren't riding the bike much on hills or in rain, there was a puff of smoke and he vanished. He's essentially an engineer not a trained corporate communicator and a load of money was on the line.
    I don't blame him... he could stay on and answer those sorts of questions and take the heat for screwing up his wording if he worked for a two-man backyard bike builder... but I was surprised he was even as candid as he was, given their button-down, Kremlin-like control of information that could affect sales.
    All this is an aberration anyway.... they don't make long strings of mistakes and they'll square all this up eventually.
    I'm still holding out for ViaS 2.0, debugged, and 15 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    I saw it basically same way as you thumper. For his brief stay he answered some of the questions, avoided some of the more PR ones, and didn't seem to lie about anything. Also keep in mind that he visited a couple different bike forums with similar info so besides likely having better work related things to do than answer 20 questions on a forum he was answering a few spread out on various forums.

I'm also still hoping for a 2.0 at 15lbs. They tempted me with the price drop but were quick to remedy that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    . Mikes Bikes has had them on sale before, that's how I originally got mine last August.
    yeah MegaSale maybe... but actually saying "closeout" makes me think changes are coming.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Maybe, but it seems early for major changes... could just be everything the same but the brakes, with the next round of bikes coming through having the new ones.
    They look simple to retrofit.
    I guess in theory they could also make some moderate changes, like beefing up something so the front brakes can't scrape inside that notch on the downtube... but a major makeover is unlikely. The things that need changing seem mostly minor.
    Though as stated I'd like to see the frame a lot lighter.
    As to the sale, if it truly was going to lure you onto one, I'd just go to a dealer and say look, help a brother out. 25 percent off is within their margin on the thing, and selling a bike for a few bucks -- and maybe larding you down with more profitable items like helmets, etc -- rather than not selling one is something at least a few dealers would take you up on.... especially if the bikes aren't selling like they were initially.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper8888 View Post
    Maybe, but it seems early for major changes... could just be everything the same but the brakes, with the next round of bikes coming through having the new ones.
    They look simple to retrofit.
    I guess in theory they could also make some moderate changes, like beefing up something so the front brakes can't scrape inside that notch on the downtube... but a major makeover is unlikely. The things that need changing seem mostly minor.
    Though as stated I'd like to see the frame a lot lighter.
    As to the sale, if it truly was going to lure you onto one, I'd just go to a dealer and say look, help a brother out. 25 percent off is within their margin on the thing, and selling a bike for a few bucks -- and maybe larding you down with more profitable items like helmets, etc -- rather than not selling one is something at least a few dealers would take you up on.... especially if the bikes aren't selling like they were initially.
    I've gotten over the temptation already even if I were to have 25% off I think. Plus I already have the extras/accessories unless I was to get the skinsuit, but I don't like the colors it comes in. Waiting for a light weight frame sounds like a better option and also allows me to get the mtb I have been wanting to pick up for 3 years now to ride with some friends.

I'm pretty sure the reason that the VIAS hasn't sold well is more the price points that it is available in than any bugs/issues with the bike (though those don't really help its situation). I haven't seen any on the road personally in central MA, but at least a few Madones roaming around and at least 2 riders I know picked up madones.

Not having a VIAS doesn't seem to be hurting Cav any either.
    Last edited by taodemon; 07-07-2016 at 09:10 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I've gotten over the temptation already even if I were to have 25% off I think. Plus I already have the extras/accessories unless I was to get the skinsuit, but I don't like the colors it comes in. Waiting for a light weight frame sounds like a better option and also allows me to get the mtb I have been wanting to pick up for 3 years now to ride with some friends.
    Good priorities. Riding with buddies should be at the top of the list. Everyone has different reasons for riding, and different goals, but without that one I can't imagine bothering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Did a short test ride on one today. It felt faster, snappier and stiffer than my current venge while at the same time being smoother. It had all the spacers still in so I felt a little cramped by how high up the handlebars were but overall I was pleasantly surprised by it.
    So monday my venge was in the shop getting a 34 small ring put on for this weekends greylock century (lots of climbing) so I took out my dads '14 ultegra comp tarmac and it reminded me of how the VIAS felt except for a lot less aero. This was especially noticeable when out of the saddle on climbs. The tarmac felt more efficient climbing out of the saddle than my venge despite being a couple pounds heavier and still all stock components/wheels. So I guess a good way to describe what I was saying above is that the VIAS felt a lot more like a tarmac than the old venge without the aero penalties of the tarmac. Hopefully they can get the weight down on the VIAS soon.

On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know why shifting on the tarmac seems smoother than the venge (6800 on tarmac, 9000 on venge)?

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014

On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know why shifting on the tarmac seems smoother than the venge (6800 on tarmac, 9000 on venge)?
    Because all of those cable bends to keep the cables hidden inside introduce drag into the shifting system and makes the Venge not as smooth from a shifting standpoint.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 Specialized Allez Comp
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast