RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Smile Venge Vias rear brakes spongey.... any thoughts?

Has the updated calipers. Front is fine pretty much like any other front brake, but rear just doesn't develop power very quickly or easily. Feels like its going through a lot more cable pull with a lot less result. It will eventually lock up the rear if you really bear down, but theres just not much modulation.
    There's no issue with cable friction and when you compress calipers with your hand, they feel much like the front ones, so caliper function alone seems OK.
    The only thing I can think of is that its related to the full cable run being in an outside sheath, but Specialized seems puzzled by that, and doesn't think it is related.
    Swapped out the worn Black Prince Evo pads for a new set of the same, didn't change it. Front has softer gray pads that look and feel similar to Zipp pads, but that seems like its unrelated.
    Any thoughts from long-time Vias owners? Will post on WW, too... as would dearly love to get this one ironed out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    1. Disconnect the front brake lever from its proper cable and/or housing.
    2. Disconect the rear brake cable and full cable housing.
    3. Connect the rear brake cable and housing to the front brake.

Find a piece of deserted road and test the front brake connected to the rear lever/inner cable/rear cable housing.

If poor modulation occurs with the front brake and rear cable/housing, then the culprit is the rear lever....or...more likely the rear housing and/cable.

If, it feels good, then your rear brake caliper is poorly adjusted. Common. If you have the replacement VIAS brakes, then the problem is caliper adjustment. Download the PDF for the bike and work thru the procedure to properly adjust the calipers. The brakes are more complex than standard calipers and need more attention to detail to adjust.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    1. Disconnect the front brake lever from its proper cable and/or housing.
    2. Disconect the rear brake cable and full cable housing.
    3. Connect the rear brake cable and housing to the front brake.

Find a piece of deserted road and test the front brake connected to the rear lever/inner cable/rear cable housing.

If poor modulation occurs with the front brake and rear cable/housing, then the culprit is the rear lever....or...more likely the rear housing and/cable.

If, it feels good, then your rear brake caliper is poorly adjusted. Common. If you have the replacement VIAS brakes, then the problem is caliper adjustment. Download the PDF for the bike and work thru the procedure to properly adjust the calipers. The brakes are more complex than standard calipers and need more attention to detail to adjust.

Good luck.

That's a good methodology to isolate the problem... thanks for taking all the time to lay that out. I'm sure that I'll use it at some point...
    This time, the shifters are some I pulled off another bike (actually Ive move them a couple of times) and the braking from them worked perfectly when I removed them from the previous bike so while it;'s possible they are the culprit, that pushes them I think pretty far down the list of possibilities.
    The sheaths are new, and it's always possible that I missed a burr, but I did re-do the small length with barrel adjust, just to cross a t... and replaced the internal tiny Teflon tube that fits into caliper where the cable enters... those changes didn't improve things.
    I think next I'll skip to the last of your suggestions and remove all the parts at the caliper end -- everything except the cable and sheath, which are new, and the shifter -- and start again from scratch....
    thanks for taking so much time to write that up, it's pretty thoughtful and logical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Here is a picture of my rear brake. I have had issues in the past where this bolt and washer hit the rear tire. The only way to prevent this (according to my bike store) is to not let the pads go past 50% wear. Do other Venge Vias owners have the same issue? I am running Specialized's 26cm S-Works tires.
    You think they could have designed that a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Only a suggestion as I don't have a lot of experience wrenching on the VIAS...the fastener head to pinch the cable in place looks to be pretty high profile. Obviously running a 26c tire which is taller moves it closer to the bolt head as the pads wear.
    Two things to try:
    1. take the bolt to the local hardware store and see if you could find a lower profile head fastener.
    2. Just because the pads wear...you may be able to keep the fastener away from the tire by playing with cable tension...not having the cable adjuster rotated out to compensate for pad wear.

I would try no.2 above before no. 1.

Good luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper8888 View Post
    Has the updated calipers. Front is fine pretty much like any other front brake, but rear just doesn't develop power very quickly or easily. Feels like its going through a lot more cable pull with a lot less result. It will eventually lock up the rear if you really bear down, but theres just not much modulation.
    There's no issue with cable friction and when you compress calipers with your hand, they feel much like the front ones, so caliper function alone seems OK.
    The only thing I can think of is that its related to the full cable run being in an outside sheath, but Specialized seems puzzled by that, and doesn't think it is related.
    Swapped out the worn Black Prince Evo pads for a new set of the same, didn't change it. Front has softer gray pads that look and feel similar to Zipp pads, but that seems like its unrelated.
    Any thoughts from long-time Vias owners? Will post on WW, too... as would dearly love to get this one ironed out.
    Sadly, I don't think there is any way to fix this. I have had the same problem and one other person I ride with that has the vias has this issue as well. He's been to several bike shops as have I with no improvement. Another side effect of this is that I run through rear brake pads every 3 months. I'm sure they have gotten tons of complaints about this and is why they only seem to be offering the disc brake version now.

My solution is to ride my Tarmac.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Way too many compromises trying to integrate the brake into the frame and retain quality braking using one vendor's caliper and another vendor's lever. And as you're also finding out, tire clearance is compromised as well.

Get something that uses standard caliper brakes.