Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Red

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Hi,

does anybody know whether the new red would have the same brake pull ratio as the old one?
    Essentially, will the new red be compatible with old red brake caliper?

thanks

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisbud View Post
    Hi,

does anybody know whether the new red would have the same brake pull ratio as the old one?
    Essentially, will the new red be compatible with old red brake caliper?

thanks
    Brakes are brakes, man. Be concerned with the shifters and derailleurs being compatible, not the brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    Brakes are brakes, man. Be concerned with the shifters and derailleurs being compatible, not the brakes.
    Hi, i am just afraid what happened with Shimano Dura Ace 7900 when it came out.
    Dura Ace 7900 had a bigger pull ratio compared to Dura Ace 7800, which essentially make combining the 2 versions would result in less than desirable result.

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi, i am just afraid what happened with Shimano Dura Ace 7900 when it came out.
    Dura Ace 7900 had a bigger pull ratio compared to Dura Ace 7800, which essentially make combining the 2 versions would result in less than desirable result.
    With the brakes? I don't think so. The 7900 had a different pull ratio with the front derailleur if I recall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    With the brakes? I don't think so. The 7900 had a different pull ratio with the front derailleur if I recall.
    Actually the Brake Pivot location of the brake lever was changed for 7900 which changed the cable pull. From Cyclingnews.com review;

"On the bright side, we're happy to report that earlier accounts of a revised rear derailleur cable pull ratio were incorrect, meaning that the new levers will are compatible with older 10-speed rear derailleurs and vice-versa. However, that is small consolation as little else will be.

The new front derailleur cable pull ratio means that mismatching new and old shifters and front derailleurs will reportedly result in sluggish shifting. Also, the new levers pull more brake cable (the matching 7900 calipers are adjusted to compensate). As such, using new levers with old brakes will yield a firm lever feel but less power while old levers and new brakes will have plenty of power but a spongy feel. At least Shimano maintained the current 10-speed cog spacing
    ."

link to full review On The Road (finally!) With Dura-Ace 7900 | Cyclingnews.com

'brifter' is a lame word.
    same w/ the brakes. 7900 is different than 7800. not exactly a v-brake/canti type difference, but shimano made a big deal about saying that the new levers should be used w/ the new brakes.
    i got to see the new Red today, but nothing was mounted on a bike. our rep said that the rear shifting was backwards compatible, but not the front, nor the crank. his words were 'for optimal performance'... he didn't mention anything about the brakes working or not working w/ the old levers. i'll bet they would work fine. seemed like their major push w/ the new brakes was making them more aero and working better w/ wide rims.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Any word on how far out the BB30 version of the Quarq powermeter crankset is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    same w/ the brakes. 7900 is different than 7800. not exactly a v-brake/canti type difference, but shimano made a big deal about saying that the new levers should be used w/ the new brakes.
    i got to see the new Red today, but nothing was mounted on a bike. our rep said that the rear shifting was backwards compatible, but not the front, nor the crank. his words were 'for optimal performance'... he didn't mention anything about the brakes working or not working w/ the old levers. i'll bet they would work fine. seemed like their major push w/ the new brakes was making them more aero and working better w/ wide rims.
    That is great to hear in regard to the brakes. How about the overall outlook of the new red?
    Is it as good as the pictures?

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    My apologies on the brake changes from 7800 to 7900. I was unaware of this change.

That is great to hear in regard to the brakes. How about the overall outlook of the new red?
    Is it as good as the pictures?
    it looks really nice. the shifters have a slightly different feel, the paddles are longer too, as we've seen. the chainrings look really stout. front derailleur looks like it will work much better than previous model, and the chain catcher is pretty trick. better design on the rear derailleur from a mechanics point of view. brakes are very cool, very easy to see how they work when you have it in your hand. the new cassette is obviously pretty cool as well, should be somewhat quieter when shifting.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    it looks really nice. the shifters have a slightly different feel, the paddles are longer too, as we've seen. the chainrings look really stout. front derailleur looks like it will work much better than previous model, and the chain catcher is pretty trick. better design on the rear derailleur from a mechanics point of view. brakes are very cool, very easy to see how they work when you have it in your hand. the new cassette is obviously pretty cool as well, should be somewhat quieter when shifting.
    They actually redesigned the rear derailleur, too? It was beginning to look like just a graphics change on the RD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Thank you for the info. You have gotten me very excited in getting the new sram red.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here are a few more photos of the new SRAM Red 2nd Generation group-set

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Now, that is sexy

Slightly Opinionated
    Those shifters look damn good.

Two things I'm waiting for though:
    Confirmation that it will function with the older model front derailleurs
    White hoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    The new hoods look pretty comfortable.
    2012 Specialized Tarmac Expert SL3 |
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sweet

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I am interested to know if there will be any options in the new XG cassette other than an 11 tooth low. I want to order this group with a 52 x 38 Crankset and would hope they would have the following cassettes available, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 26 for my profile wheels and a 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28 for my mountain wheels. I'm not interested in using a compact crankset and if only 11 low, I will be likely to go Record although with new freehub bodies will likely cost $400 more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Those shifters look damn good.

Two things I'm waiting for though:
    Confirmation that it will function with the older model front derailleurs
    White hoods.
    Why wouldn't you just replace the front derailleur!? That seems like the biggest upgrade of the whole system... not to mention the cheapest.

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvinK View Post
    Why wouldn't you just replace the front derailleur!? That seems like the biggest upgrade of the whole system... not to mention the cheapest.
    To be perfectly honest, I really dislike the "SRAM" branding all over the cage.

That, and I don't really have much of a problem with my current FD anyway...
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea, I can see that about the cage... although most of the SRAM styling is loud (not just FD). In any case, seems like the biggest and cheapest performance would be hard to pass up. Removing trim would be nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tpallsport View Post
    I am interested to know if there will be any options in the new XG cassette other than an 11 tooth low. I want to order this group with a 52 x 38 Crankset and would hope they would have the following cassettes available, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 26 for my profile wheels and a 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28 for my mountain wheels. I'm not interested in using a compact crankset and if only 11 low, I will be likely to go Record although with new freehub bodies will likely cost $400 more.
    hmmmm, nothing about the options on the SRAM site. QBP will offer 11-23, 11-25, 11-26 and 11-28. doesn't look like anything starting w/ a 12. sort of understandable as it's a 'race' group.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvinK View Post
    Yea, I can see that about the cage... although most of the SRAM styling is loud (not just FD). In any case, seems like the biggest and cheapest performance would be hard to pass up. Removing trim would be nice, too.
    I never really minded the trim, and my front shifting is working just fine. I suppose if worst comes to worst, it's only another $100ish add on, but the shifters are what I really want to get my hands on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the reply, I saw the new QBP catalog as well. I'm sure the force cassettes will work just fine, but the point of a new group is well...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    The Competitive Cyclist site shows the group will arive around the end of March (hopefully). There are PG1070 cassettes in 12,13,14,15,16,17,19, 21, 23, 26 & 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28 ranges for 2012. I'm delighted to hear this and look forward to going with the new group with these cassettes on my profile and clasic wheelsets respectively and the new crankset in 52 x 38. Outstanding news!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast