Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Topeak micro Rocket Al. Anyone??

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  skip 
#1 ·
I couldn't find that much info on this micro pump but what I heard was good. Has any of you guys used this pump yet. What do you think?

#2 ·
I've only had to use it a few times since I got it back in February. It's small and works surprisingly well. As you'd expect, it takes some time to get a tire up to 100lbs but it gets you there.

It fell out of my pocket going downhill twice last night before I found a hole in the jersey. The first time was going downhill at 45mph. It's sturdy enough to survive that, fwiw.

#3 ·
I have one. It's nice and small and works pretty well. It can be hard to get it started. I found it not very helpful with mountain bike tires, but good with road bikes tires, probably due to the high pressure of roadie tires.

#4 ·
I saw this pump at the shop today and couldn't believe how small it is. I got the idea to put this into a wide-mouth water bottle along with a tube,patch kit, 5mm allen and some tire irons. This would be great for shorter rides and free up some space in my jersey pocket. This thing is so short that it would even fit into a small water bottle!

#5 ·
I have three of these pumps, one on each road bike. They're the slightly older version that does not have the flap to cover the hole. Two of them are the aluminum version and one is the faux carbon fiber. I actually started with two but my buddy decided to get a larger pump instead so he gave one to me. I even have the larger carbon mountain bike version for off-road rides.

It's a nice, small pump. I'm happy with mine but I will not be using one for my commuter bike nor my mountain bike. It's better than not having a pump at all and it is so small that it almost disappears on the bike. The last time I used one to pump up a tire I was about three miles from home so I decided to see what I could do with this pump and I was only able to get 60PSI with it when I checked it later at home. I had pumped that tire for about 10 minutes when I quit. I'm sure that I could have gotten more pressure into the tire but I was tired, the pump was quite warm to the touch, and I was itching to get home.

#6 ·
I've got one. As others have said it works well, but slowly. It takes many, many strokes to get the tire up to pressure. I use it only as a back up to CO2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.