Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Zipp 300 Crankset question

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cxwrench 
#1 ·
I have a Zipp 300 (2007?) carbon crankset. I just noticed that several of the chainring bolts are not completely tight. Does anyone know what torque value these should be tightened to?

#2 ·
a quick check of the Zipp site reveals that they don't provide a torque spec for chainring bolts. nor does SRAM. i got bored and didn't check Shimano. soooo...just make them tight enough they won't loosen up. and you may want to learn how to check manufacturer sites for this info. it it's not there, it probably means it's not hugely important and use your experience.

#4 ·
Thanks CX, I read your replies often on this sight and I am aware of who you work with so I trust your advice. I also had checked the Zipp sight before posting but as you found out they had no info. I also am a little nervous when working with carbon parts. So I am just not sure how tight....

#5 ·
I have the same crank on one of my bikes. You are tigthening the bolt that presses the two chainrings against the carbon spider...you can't tigthen the bolts enough to crush the carbon before you would either strip the threads on the bolt or break it....neither of which is likely to occur. Make it tight and snug it up a bit more just to be sure. I don't use loctite on crankbolts, just a little grease on the threads is all you need to keep it in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.