Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Riding in Columbus OH

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  DaveFromWV 
#1 ·
I'm somewhat new to road biking but i'm utterly hooked. I live in the heart of Columbus on OSU campus and ride on the wonderful Olentangy trail and the ones that connect to it. I'm just wondering if there are any group rides around this area, or any people around here that regularly ride these trails like I do that wouldn't mind me tagging along. (Also, I do know of one group ride, in Ghanna, OH on Sundays @ Bicycle One if anyone is interested in joining on that)
Thanks

(2011 CAAD 10 4)

#2 ·
Google 'Pelotonia'. Huge charity ride hosted by the guy who is Prez of OSU Med Center I think, or something like that.

Regardless, there is a good listserv that has group rides in the Columbus area. I know there are tons of them, plus alot of other smaller events like maintenance clinics, night riding clinics, etc.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot, actually just met a guy who told me about the Pelotonia. Extremely expensive but i'm going to sign up as a "virtual rider", collect money, and see if I can ride in it anyway. Thanks for the reply, if you find a website with a list of rides on it let me know.
Thanks

#7 ·
I couldn't helping noticing a newly paved trail somewhere between Sunbury and Centerburg along Rt. 3. I'm wondering if it extends all the way into Westerville? I've ridden the Alum Creek Trail from Easton up to Otterbein but I was looking for a new trail and knew of one being built near Sunbury as part of the Ohio to Erie Trail.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thx.

#8 ·
Nice bike you got there. The Olentangy is a real pain in the ass with Dodridge closed. The detour is a pain and I hate riding on Olentangy in rush hour.

Besides what everybody else mentioned here's a couple more to check out.

http://geiersgliders.wordpress.com
Group started out doing Pelotonia training rides and now they usually organize one or two during the week and one or two on the weekend. Most leave from Gahanna or Prospect, not too easy to get to from campus without a car.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/101787949948764/
Group setup for OSU students and others to train for Pelotonia. One ride per weekend. Can probably hook up with someone else on campus to get out to the rides.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tuesdayniteride/
Mostly Tuesday night rides that start at Goodale Park and end up at a bar or restaurant. They'll post other bike events on the page too.

#10 ·
Hey Action Jackson,

I'll be in Columbus this year too, but the surrounding communities also have a lot of cycling-worthy roads. Breakaway Cycling in Delaware is a great place (however, you might not want to go all the way out just to ride around).

Would be interested in which group rides you join because I'm also interested in joining one this year as well!

Do you know THE go-to lbs of your choice yet? They might recommend some clubs or trails.

#11 ·
Trek store on Sawmill had group rides on Saturday at 7:30 and Sunday at 8:30 in the morning. These are roll out times so come a bit early to get ready. Someone from the shop is always on the ride so you can gear up and use the restrooms in the shop if needed. Great pace and we usually head north out of the Dublin area typically doing 25-40 miles each day. Rides usually average between 18.5-20.5 mph depending on who shows up. It's a non drop ride so newbs are welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.