Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Fork Help Please

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  cyclevt 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 06' Team SC with a carbon fork which has a small crack on the top of the steer tube.

I would like to replace the fork with an identical one. If I can't find an exact replacement, I would
like other options to make the bike look and moreover, feel like the original set-up.

Does anyone know who may have made the fork? Possible replacement options? Anyone who can paint
this fork like the original?

Kind Thanks All!!

#3 · (Edited)
Mizuno. Ok, that's a start. I don't think I'll be buying a Muzino again though. The reputation for these forks being frail is true.

Is there other comparable options from other companies like Easton etc? I understand the rake is 43, but what else do I need to consider in looking for an exact match fork?

#8 · (Edited)
I understand the rake is 43, but what else do I need to consider in looking for an exact match fork?
The biggies are rake (or offset), fork length (measured parallel to the steerer from the base of the crown race seat to the center of the axle), dropout over locknut spacing (usually 100mm on modern road bikes), steerer tube diameter and length, and clearance at the top of the fork blades for whatever maximum tire width you'll want to fit.

#4 ·
whats the crack look like ? get a carbon sleeve glued inside the steerer , that will require you to remove the current headset bung but there would a way to make one fit somehow ( ie simply above or below the sleeve depending on bolt length/cap design and sleeve position )

#5 ·
It doesn't LOOK like a crack to me. But it's looks crimped like someone tightened it too much at the stem. Two separate guys at the shop said they wouldn't ride it even though it's not "cracked.".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.