Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10

    ISO Hauling tandem bike rack ideas

    I'm looking for a easy way to haul my tandem on my Pathfinder. Any feedback on this rack from Cycle Simplex?

    http://www.cyclesimplex.com/tandem-bike-racks.asp

    Thanks all,

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    283
    Interesting rack, but I'd be nervous with the bike being wider (sideways) than the car itself.

    Any reason why you're not considering a roof rack (Thule/Yakima)?

    Ray

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10

    tandem rack

    The top of the car is full of bikes. Also getting the tandem on the roof of my SUV would be a ball buster. Thanks

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    I ordered one of those racks a few weeks back. When it comes in and I use it a few times I will try and post.

  5. #5
    Steaming piles of opinion
    Reputation: danl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,526
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtermites
    I'm looking for a easy way to haul my tandem on my Pathfinder. Any feedback on this rack from Cycle Simplex?

    http://www.cyclesimplex.com/tandem-bike-racks.asp

    Thanks all,
    I'm not crazy about the crank mount, nor the wheel hangover.

    I use a typical 'arm' style rear rack (a Softride, but whatever is fine) and remove both wheels. Simple, cheap, easy. Or most of the time, it just goes inside with the rear seat down and only the front wheel removed (Honda Pilot.)
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtermites
    The top of the car is full of bikes. Also getting the tandem on the roof of my SUV would be a ball buster. Thanks
    The big advantage of the Thule/Yakima rooftop tandem carriers is the way they swivel. I load and unload mine alone all the time.

    You're only liffting half of the bike at any time.

    Lift the front up and lock it into the fork mount. Once the front's clamped, you simply lift and swing the tanem's rear wheel up onto the tray. Done.

    That other rack look very convenient, but I would be very worried avout the wheelbase of the tandem hanging out wider than the vehicle.

    Maybe consider putting the tandem on the roof, and a single bike behind on the receiver hitch.
    '02 Cannondale R700 USA Edition
    '02 Cannondale RT3000 Tandem
    '05 Cannondale Prophet 600
    '92 Trek 920 Singletrak (Rigged for commuting.)

  7. #7
    tmf
    tmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    I use a typical 'arm' style rear rack (a Softride, but whatever is fine) and remove both wheels. Simple, cheap, easy.
    +1 That's how I carry mine - on a rear rack with both wheels off

  8. #8
    PMC
    PMC is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcgowan View Post
    The big advantage of the Thule/Yakima rooftop tandem carriers is the way they swivel. I load and unload mine alone all the time.

    You're only liffting half of the bike at any time.

    Lift the front up and lock it into the fork mount. Once the front's clamped, you simply lift and swing the tanem's rear wheel up onto the tray. Done.

    That other rack look very convenient, but I would be very worried avout the wheelbase of the tandem hanging out wider than the vehicle.

    Maybe consider putting the tandem on the roof, and a single bike behind on the receiver hitch.
    ^^This^^
    I've never had a problem loading our tandem using our Yakima rooftop rack that swivels. Only issue is it sits high when empty so you need to remove it if you want to use parking ramps. Granted it's on a Land Crusier in my case but it's something to consider if you drive a tall vehicle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Contest

Tour De France

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook