GeoCyclist
    Oct 2002

Sicilian Winter Ride

I havenít posted any ride reports in quite a while, as Iíve been too busy enjoying life in Sicily to spend any time on the Internet. This weekend I took my converted Santana out for its maiden spin, so I thought a ride report was called for.

The first few photos show the before and after photos from converting my Santana Rio from a MTB to Road bike.

My stoker and I decided the MTB set-up on our Santana Rio was not going to cut it any longer. After an enjoyable summer vacation cycling on our new Calfee road bike, we decided the Santana needed to be converted to a road tandem; as the Calfee is stored in the USA until our next summer vacation.

With invaluable assistance from Mark Johnson, of Precision Tandems, I selected a suitable component and wheel package for my Santana. The wheels were the real sticking point, as the Santana frame has the wide 140mm rear drop spacing. Fortunately, Chris King builds a set of MTB hubs with 140mm spacing, and Velocity makes a pretty durable 26Ē rim. I do have to admit the Chris King freewheel sounds like a hive of angry bees when we're coasting, but the wheels have a very nice ride. I purchased the disc brake set-up for the rear wheel, but Iíve decided to try riding with just the V-Brake to see if I really need the rear disc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3901.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3905.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3911.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3913.jpg  

GeoCyclist
    Oct 2002

Sicilian Winter Ride

After three years of living in Bahrain Iíve found cycling Nirvana in Sicily! I have innumerable cycling routes from my front door. As a matter of fact, I live on one of the major cycling routes for riders heading up the volcano. Nothing like seeing cyclist riding past your front door to get you motivated to jump on your bike.

It has been a mild winter so far this year. The temp was about 60 F today, but mostly from the wind chill.

The following photos I took while on a 40 km test ride from my villa. The volcano in the photos is Etna, and it is an active volcano.

Enjoy your winter cycling!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3921.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3927.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3929.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3930.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3932.jpg  

Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3936.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3937.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3939.jpg   Sicilian Winter Ride-cimg3943.jpg  

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    That is so much prettier than the pix you posted from Bahrain. I bet you are in heaven.
    ďYou can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.Ē Ė Albert Einstein

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    I really like my CK rear hub (you'll get used to the noise). Among other things it seems to engage much smoother than hubs with pawls.

BTW good looking ride, be careful of that volcano!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gorgeous bike!! And that scenery is motivating all right.

Tandems seem like a total blast.

Bacon!
    Love the pics of that volcanoe in the distance! Great stuff.

Cat 6 rider
    Your daughter's the stoker? If not, lucky man.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Excellent pics!