Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bp ms150

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Bp ms150

I just joined the Ready 2 Roll training series here in Houston (preparing for the MS150). The first training ride is this Saturday with the meet up at Katy Mills Mall. Is anyone in this forum going to be there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I just joined the Ready 2 Roll training series here in Houston (preparing for the MS150). The first training ride is this Saturday with the meet up at Katy Mills Mall. Is anyone in this forum going to be there?
    How was the training ride? I have signed up for the Ready 2 Roll series, but could not make the ride today (we had a baby Thursday.) I plan to be at the next ride on the 25th.
    What Team are you ridding with?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Bp ms150

Quote Originally Posted by Bmusick View Post
    How was the training ride? I have signed up for the Ready 2 Roll series, but could not make the ride today (we had a baby Thursday.) I plan to be at the next ride on the 25th.
    What Team are you ridding with?
    Congratulations on the new born. Mine is nine and a half months old now. I didn't ride with them today. The team that I joined is Urban Bicycle Gallery. It is a shop in town with great people. Next week is our first official training ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Congratulations on the new born. Mine is nine and a half months old now. I didn't ride with them today. The team that I joined is Urban Bicycle Gallery. It is a shop in town with great people. Next week is our first official training ride.
    Thanks,
    I am ridding with my Brother on The Texas Children Hospital team. We plan to be at the Fulsher ride on the 25th. With the cooler weather I have taken about 3 months of from riding so I expect to suffer on the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm tempted to ride this one. For sure I'm going to Coldspring next weekend. Hilly and a good gauge of your current fitness level. My other "don't miss" ride is the very hilly Raven's Revenge in Huntsville, usually in March I think. If you do the long ride, 62 miles I think, and drag your a$$ across the finish, you're for sure ready for the MS rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    A good one to ride is the Gator Ride in Baytown, March 1st. Only one climb, the Hartman Bridge, but it is a fun ride with just 1000 riders usually. Everyone that plans on riding the MS should be able to ride a metric century by early March.
    Gator Ride | YMCA of Greater Houston

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by cycmike View Post
    I'm tempted to ride this one. For sure I'm going to Coldspring next weekend. Hilly and a good gauge of your current fitness level. My other "don't miss" ride is the very hilly Raven's Revenge in Huntsville, usually in March I think. If you do the long ride, 62 miles I think, and drag your a$$ across the finish, you're for sure ready for the MS rides.
    I doubt I'll go that far for a training ride. I like riding a hell of a lot more than driving!

By March, I'll start doing bridge repeats. If I can work up to 8 or more back to back climbs, I'll feel confident. I used to do this to get ready for the hill country MTB races.
    Kemah Bridge

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I'm planning on doing the 2014 MS150. This will be my third one in a row. Anybody do the Clay Walker ride on 2/01?

bV

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Day 1, I decided to do the middle distance of 83 instead of 100 miles since my health and fitness aren't so good. Smartest move of the day! The early tailwinds switched to cross and headwinds after the first hour and then the heat and sun kicked in. Throw in endless hills and my legs started cramping... bad. The longer I rode, the worse they got. At least the views overlooking hills of bluebonnets and indian paintbrushes were extraordinary and inspiring.

I managed to keep going since there is no quit in my vocabulary. At rest stops I couldn't do the normal stretches since the opposing muscle group would cramp instantly. I drank over 300 ounces of water and Cytomax during the Saturday ride. I finished day 1 in time to beat the long lines to the shower trucks and relaxed. The company tent was 40 x 60 with cots, tables and a tasty catered BBQ dinner. A full massage helped recovery quite a bit. I got to know my company teammates over a beer as night drew near before crashing out.

Day 2, started early after a deep sleep, and the legs were already toast. I had to opt out of the longer 77 mile route because of the super steep hills in Bastrop State Park and the likelihood of rain. I passed by the park along Hwy 71. It is sad to see it after most of the trees burned in the huge 2011 fire.

I took my time and stopped at most of the break stops to fuel up. My lowest gear is only 39x23, which I spent plenty of time in at the top of most climbs. Again, the winds were mostly head and cross winds, but it was cooler thanks to heavy clouds. The rain held off until I hit Austin, but I like riding in it.

I'm way short of the fitness level I needed to ride this, but knowing my body well plus how to ride efficiently made up for it along the way. I can spend hours deep into pain thanks to my years of racing. I finished right around noon and rode a nice wheelie across the line. Luckily, a teammate who raises over $10K every year gave me his spare VIP pass after the ride which let me shower in the no line shower truck. That saved me from standing in a 1 hour line so I could hop on the bus back home all the sooner. The countless volunteers were amazing at every step of the way and none of this could have happened without their hard work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12