Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bp ms150

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Bp ms150

I'm a little surprised this thread hasn't been started.
    Anyone planning to ride? Surely so.
    I've done it a couple of times and will be back this year. Glad the park will be open as that's a fun part of the event.
    The forecast, at least for now, looks good. Keeping my fingers crossed on that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Count me in. First time for me..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Bp ms150

i'm in. this will be my 2nd ms150.

bigv

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Right now the weather forecast is about perfect.

Cool mornings, never gets too hot, and a SE wind.

What a deal!

Adventure Seeker
    This will be my fifth. The cold mornings have me worried about my knees. Last weekend, I went through the park twice. It's sad seeing all the fire damage. But you can see thousands of tiny orange flags where they've planted new ones. I thought I started a thread around November inviting people to join my team, but maybe it was last year...
    Myself, Weenfreek, and Mymilkexpired are all forum members on Team Dream riding again this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    N
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    .......... The cold mornings have me worried about my knees..........
    At least you are thinking right.

I'm coming down from the panhandle so the forecasted temps are about what we've finally warmed up to after a cold winter.

I'll be sporting some knee and arm warmers for sure plus a vest. All stuff I can put in my jersey pocket as the day warms.

Just start calmly and "warm up" early in the ride. That'll save you some aches and pains too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    This will be my first year doing the MS150 really looking forward to it the weather looks perfect!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    My third, Knock on wood with the weather, it does look good. Wind was awful last year.

Adventure Seeker
    I invite you all to stop by the Team Dream tent (yeah, the one with the mattresses) and say "hi". I should be wearing a yellow t-shirt from last year's Gran Fondo TMCO ride. Weenfreek will be the one with curly hair and glasses. If you want to join the team, you can for next year's, as this year is full.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    I invite you all to stop by the Team Dream tent (yeah, the one with the mattresses) and say "hi". I should be wearing a yellow t-shirt from last year's Gran Fondo TMCO ride. Weenfreek will be the one with curly hair and glasses. If you want to join the team, you can for next year's, as this year is full.
    I signed up for Team Dream - I'll try to find you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Will be there also. First time I've ridden since I last road in from 1993 to 1996.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I'll be doing it again. Did it last year in the wind. This year's whether looks so much better, the 20-30+ mph headwind made last years ride pretty hard (depending on who you ask, some people were saying 40, I think they might be exaggerating a bit). Definitely looking forward to the park sense I didn't get to do it last year. Cold morning on Sunday is going to suck a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Bp ms150

Hope all of you had a safe and wonderful ride this weekend.

bv

Adventure Seeker
    Ride was awesome this year. I made great time, considering the cold and getting started near the end of the line. Got to LaGrange around 1:10. Had a hard time sleeping the night before and at the end of day one. Day two was nice too - We took our time going through the park, as we were going with three first-timers, but then took off afterward. No knee pain!
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Bp ms150

For those that stayed in a hotel in La Grange, where did you stay and did you like it? I am thinking of booking a room for next year and have never stayed overnight in La Grange.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You probably won't find a room in Lagrange as the sponsors book the whole town. I've stayed in Giddings, about an hour away, and Hallettsville, about 30 miles south. Try looking around within a 30 or 40 mile radius. Or join a team with a sponsor tent and have your pack bused there and sleep or rent a tent. Or you could get a room in Bastrop and ride all the way there on the first day. If you get a room away from Lagrange, you'll probably need someone to meet you there to drive you to your hotel.

Saint Arnold Brewery has a team (I'm on it for the free beer and food and pre ride parties) and my buds drove over to Lagrange a day early to set up a tent near the team tent. Worked out good for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I rode it again this year. Cold in the morning, nice in the afternoon. Better than nice morning and Hot afternoon. Overall a great weekend. I rode with Team Jacobs.

Re: the parks, yes it was sad to see the fire. Plus the big hill with the switchbacks was in the burn zone. Gave that hill a different feel being able to see the top and now far you have to go to the top.
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti.

Here for the fun
    This was my first time riding this year. I loved it! It was a lot of fun, the rest stops were awesome. Colder than I anticipated in the mornings and wasn't quite prepared...I'll know for next time.

Victory beer at Saint Arnold's tent in Austin

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    Will be there also. First time I've ridden since I last road in from 1993 to 1996.
    My last MS-150 was in '89 and I'm planning to ride it in 2014 as a goal to get back into shape. I'll ride for my mega-corporate team/event sponsor since they take pretty good care of us.
    Oh, and on a fixed gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    My last MS-150 was in '89 and I'm planning to ride it in 2014 as a goal to get back into shape. I'll ride for my mega-corporate team/event sponsor since they take pretty good care of us.
    Oh, and on a fixed gear.
    Tig what gear inches will you use?
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderguy View Post
    Tig what gear inches will you use?
    68.6 per Sheldon Brown's calculator (39x15).
    My next bike might be using a 46x18, which is close.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I did my first trainning ride this Saturday. There were about +1000 riders. It was awesome! I saw a few Fuji Altamira and SST. I ride a Gran Fondo. Big fan of Fuji.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinAma View Post
    I'm a little surprised this thread hasn't been started.
    Anyone planning to ride? Surely so.
    I've done it a couple of times and will be back this year. Glad the park will be open as that's a fun part of the event.
    The forecast, at least for now, looks good. Keeping my fingers crossed on that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Bp ms150

Quote Originally Posted by Quico12 View Post
    I did my first trainning ride this Saturday. There were about +1000 riders. It was awesome! I saw a few Fuji Altamira and SST. I ride a Gran Fondo. Big fan of Fuji.
    Quico, I assume that it was an organized training ride. If so, who, what, and when is the next one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Yes, it was an organized ride by ReadyToRoll. You can also find a complete set of organized rides in the MS 150 website.

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Quico12 View Post
    Yes, it was an organized ride by ReadyToRoll. You can also find a complete set of organized rides in the MS 150 website.
    A good one to ride is the Gator Ride in Baytown, March 1st. Only one climb, the Hartman Bridge, but it is a fun ride with just 1000 riders usually. Everyone that plans on riding the MS should be able to ride a metric century by early March.
    Gator Ride | YMCA of Greater Houston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast