Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Katy 100

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  WRM4865 
#1 ·
Who's going?

#3 ·
Yes, I've only been riding for 3 Months, first ride with no practice was pedal of the pines in Bastrop. I took a 2 week hiatus, then rode a few times before LBJ. Since then I've been riding 2-4 times a week. So this is new to me but still aiming for under 5 hrs.

Thanks for the tip

#6 ·
You'll probably be fine, so long as you're well fueled before hand (glycogen topped off to the max), hydrate well and refuel during the ride. The biggest mistake would be going out to strong at the beginning, buring up your fuel, and then bonking towarsd the end. If it's your first century I'd encourage you to back of your intended pace a bit. The goal is to finish solid, and get experience to use for your next one.

It should be pretty boring, and relatively flat (steady grade) other than overpasses.

#8 ·
I hope you acheive your goal.....but let me just say this: any changes in weather, winds, etc... could definitly affect you on a Century. I did an out an back yesterday, I normally average the same speed coming and going assuming 3mph or less winds and ususally they come from a crosswind or mild headwind on the return leg.

I did 21.4 mph on the outboud leg. But My overall MPH dropped to 20.2 for the whole trip. The winds came in about 7 mph with gusts. That was enought to slow me down to just under 20 mph for the return leg. It was 20 miles on the way back. If I had to do another 60 in those conditions with hills I would not be able to do 20 MPH avg.

Anyway, fuel up and good luck. I am doing a Century or 65 miler next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.