Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Britton's Bikes in San Antonio is pretty good!

Roger Soler's in Helotes or at their new Stone Oak store has some pretty awesome guys. Super Dave and Frank have both gone out of their way to get me on bikes that not only fit, but work for my budget!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Bicycle Sport Shop (Parmer Loc), Austin TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Plano Cycling and Fitness (Plano, TX). I was just in the market for a new bike, a really expensive bike.

Went to a bunch of shops to test ride. They were by far, the easiest to work with and least condesending shop I went to. Keep in mind, my two criteria were: keep it under $10,000 and it has to be a snappier ride than a Roubaix.

With a budget like that, you'd think any bike shop would be happy to show you a bike or two. I had one shop actually say, "we really don't have anything for you", as I looked around at a bunch of Felt, Specialized, Penarello and Cervelo's. No kidding, you don't have time to pull one of those $8500 Cervelo's down for me to look at? Crazy, I thought with the economy in the crapper they'd a little better to work with.

The owner at PCF actually let me test ride his bike since there wasn't one on the floor built up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayjay View Post
    With a budget like that, you'd think any bike shop would be happy to show you a bike or two. I had one shop actually say, "we really don't have anything for you", as I looked around at a bunch of Felt, Specialized, Penarello and Cervelo's. No kidding, you don't have time to pull one of those $8500 Cervelo's down for me to look at? Crazy, I thought with the economy in the crapper they'd a little better to work with.

Problem is the LBS's don't want just some moron coming off the street and test ride $8,000 bike and maybe crash it, or steal it. There are a lot of custom bikes that exceed $5,000 that are never ever test ridden or looked at in person; the customer orders it over the internet or by phone and waits for delivery. Granted, since you were there the LBS should have at least pulled down the bike to have you look at it, I too would have walked out with after some brief politically correct words.

What would be really cool to do is once you buy your bike is you ride the bike to the store that wouldn't help you, roll the bike into the store to buy something cheap like a patch kit, in passing the time at the register simply say something like "I was in here last week to buy a Cervelo R5 (or whatever model you were interested in) but no one would bring down one for me to look at, so I got this instead."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    So you're saying they thought I was a moron and that's why they brushed me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Alex and Andy at the Hub in San Marcos. Great guys.
    Last edited by asleep at the keel; 01-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayjay View Post
    So you're saying they thought I was a moron and that's why they brushed me off.
    I wasn't implying or saying you are a moron, I think a lot of LBS's (note, I didn't say all or most LBS's), due to their elitist attitude, think a lot of their customers are morons and that's why we get treated badly by a lot of LBS's. And since they think we're morons their not going to let some "moron" ride a $8,000 bike. If you had been perhaps on the local race team and did a lot of business with them then you would have been one of the elitists and they would have let you ride the bike; but since they didn't know you they brushed you off as a non serious rider just trying to ride a bike for the fun of it and not serious about buying.

It's the same thing if you walk into a Porsche dealer and ask them to test drive their cars, they won't do that until they run a credit check on you to make sure you can afford the car. And if you fail or are marginally credit worthy they'll brush you off like your a moron just trying to get thrill.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasbb View Post
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Richardson Bike Mart. The sales force does not work on commission, which helps the atmosphere in my opinion.
    I asked and the sales force does work on commission. I like the shop, but I've never been ti a shop where the workers were so much like used car dealers than Richardson bike mart

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by new2rd View Post
    Just wanted to give a thanks to Bike Town in Abilene. Incredible store and service!

Anyone else?
    Also, love Bike Town in Abilene. Bought three bikes there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I think that here in the Houston area we are blessed with a number of very good lbs.
    I have been to and like most of the ones mentioned so far.. and anther good one is
    I cycle on tc jester...but my favorite is university bike barn on weslyan.

Leadrunner
    John's Bicycles, Lancaster Town Square, Lancaster, TX. John knows recumbants. Very friendly, personal service.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234