Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Moving to Texas, Maybe

I just got married 11/20/2015. Just wanted to say that.

Any way the day before my wife to be received a phone call from someone in the industry she use to work in to see if she wanted to come to work for them.

Ok Ok enough back story if she accepts the job we'll be moving to Seguin and I know it is between San Antoino and Austin. She grew up in Lufkin and wants to get back closer to her elderly parents.

How is the riding in that part of the state, any clubs in the area and how about group rides. I am not very fast anymore so not looking to race just folks to ride with.
    Yeah I know I got long winded and rambled a bit but it 33 degrees her this morning so no riding for me today.
    Last edited by andre71144; 11-23-2015 at 10:17 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Probably one of the best parts of the state to ride in, rivaling just about anywhere. Ride year round in the gorgeous Hill Country.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    It is pretty nice there. I would agree it is some of the best riding in the state.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Bit late here, but I'll echo the sentiment that you'll be in one of the best areas for cycling in TX.

I don't know Seguin, but have done a good amount of riding out of New Braunfels, Gruene, and San Marcos...River Road is an awesome ride from Greune and is a natural loop into Canyon Lake.

I'm riding out of Houston, so I'm not particularly familiar with the SA/Austin scene, but my impression is that cycling clubs are a much bigger part of riding in TX than in other states (I've lived/ridden in NY, NJ, CA, MA...and TX). I spent some time in a paceline with the San Antonio Wheelmen (friendly guys) at a recent Tour de Gruene and that might be a good place to start.

One note - get ready for lots of miles on chipseal!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Im in Bulverde, TX, north SA. Areas CD7384 listed are great areas to ride and also done Tour de Gruene several times. Roads vary from flat to hilly depending on which side of SA you ride on. In my area, Camp Bullis Park is where all the riders park and gather and head north for the ride. I can go to the park and also find groups to ride with if I want. Check out area bike shops and they will give you club information.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Ok, wife went down last week had the interview and she accepted their offer this week end. Looks like I'll be there the latter part of February just enough time for me to spend two months sitting on the couch losing most of my fitness. I guess the upside is that it will be warm enough when I get there that I can start riding right away and won't have to wait for NC to thaw out.

I think we're going to try to live in either Cibolo or New Braunfels and I'm looking forward to meeting up with new folks and riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Schlitterbahn is one of the coolest places on earth, when you're thru riding.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Up date, looks like the wife found a place in New Braunfels and we should be able to move February 8th. Can't wait to get there, the hi here today will be 28 not counting wind chill, it's 8 now. Next time I post here I'll probably be in TX.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Cool part of the world, if it hasn't been overrun by refugees from San Antonio. Love me some Schlitterbahn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    yep, you will be able to start riding right away....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Weather here has been great, unless you have cedar allergies, so you can ride all day every day.
    Summers can be harsh and will take you a while to adjust.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    You are moving to the best part of Tx for riding, that's for sure. You will want to check out the Willow City loop in Fredericksburg which is an hour or so from New Braunfels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Welcome to TX! As a transplanted NY'er I've been surprised at how much I like it here.

Fredericksburg is great. A bit further away (~2 hrs...which, once you get used to TX distances, is almost next door) is Leakey, where the TX racers go to get elevation.

Also in the neighborhood-ish, the Shiner GASP ride is coming up on May 7th; there's usually a few decently sized groups that will turn it into a two-day round-trip double.
    Last edited by DC7384; 01-19-2016 at 11:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    ^^^word!

hooligan21
    Welcome to Texas, I'm up in Dallas but a couple times a year make my way down to the area between Austin and San Antonio to ride in a few organize rides they have...have fun riding you will love Texas...
    Today is gonna be a good day but tomorrow will be better than today...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    check out this site for a list of rides. http://www.wheelbrothers.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Can't wait to get there it's 52 degrees where the wife is and we're expecting snow starting about noon and freezing rain Friday and 6 inches of snow Saturday. I haven't ride since early October.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2016
    Just getting in on this forum. Now you can slap the bumper sticker on your car "I wasn't born in TX but I got here as fast I could". Welcome! Also, we share the same anniversary day, I thought that was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I'll be there next Friday, weather here is going to be 50 degrees and in New Braunfels it will be 80. Ready to get there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Arrived in New Braunfels yesterday I've already called back twice to folks in North Carolina *****ing about how I'm tried of all this hot weather. It was 73 here and 26 there with a chance of up to 3 inches of snow, oh poor me. Probably unpack the bikes Monday or Tuesday and go for ride. Going to drive around today and see some of the city. Trip was long and hard, I may just lay around this week with the dogs and drink beer, we'll decide later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    better ride now and enjoy. Texas summers are tough on newcomers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    So I've been told. Started unpacking the bike and getting it set up and I broke the bolt that holds the seat collar on(binder bolt?) can't get the rest of the bolt out so I guess I need a new collar the LBS had to order one and it will be here Friday so I guess I'll be ready to ride Saturday morning.

I used a Spin Doctor torque wrench i guess the bolt just failed. An way looking forward to get back on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Ok finally got my first longish TEXAS ride in today, the good news is I have a lot of room for improvement. The tail wind giveth and the HEAD wind taketh away. It was only blowing 13mph today yesterday is was 25, brutal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by andre71144 View Post
    Ok finally got my first longish TEXAS ride in today, the good news is I have a lot of room for improvement. The tail wind giveth and the HEAD wind taketh away. It was only blowing 13mph today yesterday is was 25, brutal.
    Just think of that headwind as a mountain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Andre, I moved from San Antonio because of work and I hated the heat. That said, New Braunfels is still one of my favorite places. That's a beautiful little town with great proximity to SA, Austin, great road trips (check out Fredericksburg, the Hill Country, Lockhart for BBQ, etc.), and great cycling. I think you will really enjoy it there. The worst part for me about Texas was the summer heat and humidity and the scorpions that I would find in my house every now that then. I had bugs and TX has a lot of them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast