RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Possible moving to Dallas suburb area how are the bikers treated?

I might be making the move soon to Plano, McKinley, Frisco area by mid year and Im curious how is the biking? Are there dedicated lanes or is it an area where I have to drive out somewhat to find an open road?

If I am looking for an open road... how far would I need to go? (Open road means nature-ish settings.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    There are some nice farm roads north of Frisco and McKinney (and nice gravel roads too). But the closer you are to Plano, Dallas, the denser it gets.
    Having said that, there is a huge cycling community with lots and lots of daily group rides for all levels. Assuming you are comfortable riding in groups, riding in the dense suburb is not so bad and feels safer with regards to motorized traffic. There is also a very active MTB community (DORBA) with lots of well maintained MTB trails. I moved to the area 15 years ago from the Bay Area, and cycling here is one of the things I enjpy the most about the area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2016
    You have the occasional jagaloon, but in general I would say motorists are used to bicycles (in certain areas) and are generally nice.

There are some bike lanes but not that many. There is still a decent amount of farm land north of the area you are moving to. I have taken Preston Rd and other off shoots from Dallas all the way to Sherman (~70miles). If you ride early enough you can avoid most cars. Windhaven Pkwy is a great road to hit in that area. Lots of folks bike that street and connecting ones.

Group rides are probably your best bet for safety on the open roads. Shops like Richardson Bike Mart (RBM), Bikes Plus, Plano Cycling, and Dallas Bike Works do weekly coordinated rides. RBM is my preferred shop mainly because I live close by and the employees are great. There is a location in Frisco you should check out - http://bikemart.com/m/events/rbm-wee...461.htm#frisco

I also have a really good / very few cars route that would take you from Frisco/Plano all the way to White Rock Lake (via city streets and the white rock creek trail). The lake is a great place to ride for many reasons. Once you are down there you can cruise safely through Lakewood or Lake Highlands and get some relatively decent hill training.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for all of the info. Im not sure if I should add onto this thread or start a new one but I wanted to ask if there is a good amount of "gravel" trails mixed into the area. Im about to purchase a new bike... thinking Synapse... but is it worth getting a true gravel/road/cross bike to give me the best of both worlds?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Many Gravel roads north of Frisco, in all directions. And a growing community of gravel enthusiasts, with weekdays and weekends group rides. spinistry is also organizing many gravel events in the area throughout the year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by flafonta View Post
    Many Gravel roads north of Frisco, in all directions. And a growing community of gravel enthusiasts, with weekdays and weekends group rides. spinistry is also organizing many gravel events in the area throughout the year.
    Nice. Thanks for the quick response. Now, its going to be a hard decision between Cannondale Synapse (that can take on 32 tires with some tread) or go the Slate route?