RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

Riding in HOUSTON

Hi,

Moving to East Downtown Houston (EADO) area and there is a bike trail down the street from my townhome. After doing some research, seems like people are saying that the trail goes through a rough neighborhood. Im wondering if anyone on here rides on those trails. Ive seen quite a few riders go in and out of the trail and if someone on here rides the trail, would you mind if i joined??? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cervelop2c View Post
    Hi,

Moving to East Downtown Houston (EADO) area and there is a bike trail down the street from my townhome. After doing some research, seems like people are saying that the trail goes through a rough neighborhood. Im wondering if anyone on here rides on those trails. Ive seen quite a few riders go in and out of the trail and if someone on here rides the trail, would you mind if i joined??? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

The neighborhood (3rd ward) is rough. Just be mindful, the trail there intersects a bunch of streets also. If you take the trail south, it meets up with Braes Bayou which has a nice trail, to the east you can down to UofH or if you go west you can go down to where the bayou hits 59 (some parts of the trail are sort of not finished around 288 but the trail does continue). In total you can ride a 36ish mile loop from U of H and back. Lots of people walk on the trail though so its not always the best but its not that bad (announce you are passing, "on your left").
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks @jmorgan. You seem pretty familiar with that area. Do you ride out there often? or even near that area? if so, would you mind having one more rider tag along? Of course, that if i can keep up.. but I'd much rather ride in a group than by myself, esp in an area im not familiar with. Anyways, if you wouldn't mind then let me know and i can PM you my info. thanks for the tips.

Danny

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    First, take a look using google maps.

I've ridden the concrete trail along Buffalo Bayou starting from Tony Marron Park and riding toward downtown. It dead ends at a few spots (like when it gets to 59 Eastex freeway), requiring some navigation through some not so nice neighborhoods. A few homeless folks that are harmless should be no problem. Keep an eye out for broken glass.

Although sometimes busy, the bayou trail in downtown is generally safer. You can ride it to the Heights trail that ends in Hogg Park. A busier yet fun with a few rolling hils are the paths that go through Eleanor Tinsley Park just West of downtown. You can ride along the Memorial side out and loop around and back East along the Allen Pkwy side of the bayou.

None of these are good for ultra fast riding, but they are fun on an MTB, cross bike, or even a fixed gear. Like all riding, be it out on the road or on trails, I always carry a can of pepper gel as a backup. (crazy drivers/hostile dogs/small time thieves) Street smarts are mandatory and an option.
    Last edited by Tig; 03-03-2014 at 12:32 PM.