Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

2013 Madone vs. Domane ride quality

I would love to hear people's thoughts that have had a chance to ride both. How would you compare the ride on one to the other in all the key categories (stiffness, speed, weight, comfort, responsiveness, vertical complaince, etc. Feel free to conflate any of these categories as you see fit).
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Went to a Trek demo day and rode both in the 6.2 series. The Domane, as expected rode noticeably softer in the rear end over larger cracks and potholes. However, for me (180lbs, 5'11") it was a much smaller difference than all the "pro" reviews had me believing. Problem is that they had the Domane with Aura 5 wheels, and the Madone with the stock RL rims. So not quite apples to apples there. Here are some opinions that I took away from the ride:
    1. The Domane Isospeed works, but the front and your feet still feel the same over road imperfections. I was not particularly impressed by the OVERALL feel of the ride vs my old Madone.
    2. The Domane is really stiff otherwise. Climbs great out of the saddle and I can't flex it during sprint efforts. No complaints there.
    3. The Madone rides ggggrrreeeeaat. Coming from a Tarmac, this bike is just really smooth. Only bike I can recall riding like this is my R3 from a few years ago. It is also just flat out responsive (twitchy for most folks), probably due to geometry, light weight, shorter wheelbase and stiffness. I have no way to test the KVF and its benefits. Weird having a comfortable bike react so quickly under me.
    4. The wheels likely made a difference. Nothing I can do about that.

I would buy the Madone personally, because it's comfortable enough for me. I don't need that extra cush in the tush. I'd rather have a hot rod to play with. BUT, from my experience selling bikes, I feel that most people would be much happier riding a Domane. It will slow down steering response a tiny bit to keep it from being twitchy. It will take the edge of most hits from potholes. Most importantly, it allows less flexible riders to run a normal stem at 7 degrees or even slam it without making them run to the chiropractor. And it's plenty stiff/fast. Win win.
    Comforting thought: Those idiots in passing cars who scream, throw things, or otherwise harass you from cars are destined to be the next viral Youtube moron shattering some part of their bodies in incredibly painful ways to impress some equally idiotic friends.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you for the insight that is precisely the kind of information I am looking for. I am excited to test both, though my preference right now is for the Madone (I am currently riding a Cervelo R3 and want to see if I like either of these better).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Which fit option did you test on the madone, im looking at the h2?
    Not F Schleck. The last 24k is downhill, and he descends like a drunken cat. Quote: justinb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    H2. Neutral fit with stem at top, and my saddle at 77cm above BB, but I would drop stem and switch to 11cm for my usual fit.
    Comforting thought: Those idiots in passing cars who scream, throw things, or otherwise harass you from cars are destined to be the next viral Youtube moron shattering some part of their bodies in incredibly painful ways to impress some equally idiotic friends.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Cool War of the Treks

I happened to go off the deep end and bought both a Madone and a Domane. Both 2013 and 5.2's H2's. I could go on and on about them but I like the Madone better. The Domane is very smooth in the rear over certain types of bumps but seems disconnected from the front. On certain series of bumps it almost seems like I'm getting bucked off the saddle. The Madone seems more solid and takes the bumps the same front to back.
    Ride them both and check it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks Doug. Will do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Thanks Doug. Will do.
    ... and with the same wheelset as they have a huge impact on ride quality.

2012 Trek Madone 6 SSL - SRAM Red
    2009 Trek Madone 5 - SRAM Force
    2000 Cannondale CAAD4 - Campy Chorus
    1997 Colnago Tecnos - Campy Record Ti 9
    1998 Ciocc DR03 - Campy Chorus <retired>

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Has anyone had the chance to compare the aluminum frames for both? My LBS has a Madone 2013 2.1 for sale during October for $1299. I like the ride in my limited rides with it but would like to compare it to the Domane 2.0 which they do not have in stock yet.

The Domane is $200 more with tiagra instead of 105 components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    If the OP hasn't pulled the trigger yet, I'll offer my take.

A couple of weeks ago I attended a Trek ride camp for shop employees in north San Diego County (i.e., hilly). I rode the 6.2 Madone and 6.2 Domane "back to back" for about 20 miles each. Both were 58cm H2's, full Ultegra, and the new Race Lite wheels. So a fair comparison. The route included good pavement and bad, some rollers, and one long 10% or so descent with the climb back up it.

The Madone was nice but not noticeably different than my 2008 6.9. Light, quick (but not nervous) and comfortable considering it's a "race bike."

The Domane, on the other hand, blew me away. Sections of road where the shoulders hadn't been resurfaced in years had me out in the smoother traffic lane (it was wide) on the Madone, I just cruised on the Domane. I somewhat expected that but I didn't expect that there would be absolutely no trade-off in performance. The "power transfer" was every bit the equal of the Madone. Yes, it's a little slower in the handling department but that really is only a concern if you're racing crits. On the long descent (no computer but spun out in a 50/11) the Domane felt noticeably more stable than the Madone. On the turnaround and climb back up, the Domane was the match of the Madone, both in and out of the saddle.

My only problem with the Domane is that currently only offered in H2. Even slamming the stem and running it negative the bar was still 3 centimeters higher than the bar on my H1 Madone. I ride a pretty aggressive setup despite the fact that I'm 66 years old.

Trek made a limited run of H1 Domanes to satisfy the UCI's "production" requirement for the pro peloton. I was in no position to buy one (and I'm not ready to retire my 6.9. Hell, I just put Chorus 11 on it.)

Bottom line. When, and if, I'm in the market it'll be a Domane. That is, if they introduce an H1.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow. Some really interesting comparisons and reviews. Thanks OP for starting this thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I rode both and preferred the Madone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    I rode both and preferred the Madone.
    What was it about the Madone that you prefered?
    Ride quality, speed etc
    are you a racer, big guy, climber?
    Not F Schleck. The last 24k is downhill, and he descends like a drunken cat. Quote: justinb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    What was it about the Madone that you prefered?
    Ride quality, speed etc
    are you a racer, big guy, climber?
    I'm 6'3", 185lbs. I found the Madone very comfortable and didn't notice any significant improvement on the Domane. I'm not into racing, just solo ride but I do enjoy as much speed as possible. I go anywhere from rides of 25km length to 100km. I also tested the Roubaix and didn't see the big deal regarding comfort there. I figured if I can enjoy the Madone ride for 100km there was no advantage for me to get a Domane or Roubaix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Own a madone 7 but spent about 10 rides on a Domane 6.2 demo.One thing to note is that the Domane comes with 25 tires, and some of that domane ride magic is from the 25 tires. At the end of the day I disliked the geometry--mainly the cornering and tall headtube. Couple of scenarios where there was a crack in the road or bad pavement mid turn and the reaction time just wasn't quite fast enough for my taste. I do like quicker bikes so not entirely surprised.

Power transfer and climbing was great on Domane. My other dislike was noted by someone else above, that while the rear of the bike soaks up the front doesn't always. As if I was riding an MTB that had front and rear suspension that was mismatched. I think with more time perhaps I'd learn to weight and un-weight the bike to mitigate this effect, but then again I don't know that I should have to un-weight the front on bigger hits, seems counter to what I should do on a road bike.

I'll have a shot at one of the the new H1 Pro fit models soon, shorter stays and lower front end may quicken up the handling enough that it would overcome the geometry issues I have with bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    I'm 6'3", 185lbs. I found the Madone very comfortable and didn't notice any significant improvement on the Domane. I'm not into racing, just solo ride but I do enjoy as much speed as possible. I go anywhere from rides of 25km length to 100km. I also tested the Roubaix and didn't see the big deal regarding comfort there. I figured if I can enjoy the Madone ride for 100km there was no advantage for me to get a Domane or Roubaix.
    Thanks Dave, you sound simalar to me, i am waiting for the Demo of the madone to have a test on. Looking forward to it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo View Post
    Own a madone 7 but spent about 10 rides on a Domane 6.2 demo.One thing to note is that the Domane comes with 25 tires, and some of that domane ride magic is from the 25 tires. At the end of the day I disliked the geometry--mainly the cornering and tall headtube. Couple of scenarios where there was a crack in the road or bad pavement mid turn and the reaction time just wasn't quite fast enough for my taste. I do like quicker bikes so not entirely surprised.
    I would be interested in any comparative comments between the 7 and 6 series Madone if you can provide them. Don't mean to be causing thread drift so you can PM me.
    Last edited by NealH; 10-22-2012 at 03:49 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I have a 56 Domane with a nude carbon P1 paint job in classifieds if anyone is looking-

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Why are you selling it so soon?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Domane

I really wanted to try a bike with a higher handlebar position- but I need my bars to be lower than the Domane will allow. Great ride though- I think it rides better than a Roubaix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Hi Bootsie,

Could you post a link?...trying to find you ad. I ride a 54, but also interested in your P1 for ideas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I don't have any pictures. I will try to take some tomorrow and post.
    You can go to the P1 site and mock it up. It is the "solid team logos" Base color is pearl carbon and Trek logos are black. Very low key- but cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

56 Domane

Here are some pics. I can't figure out how to ad pics to already placed ad. Trek logos don't really show from a distance (intended). Has sparkles when in sun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Madone vs. Domane ride quality-photo8.jpg   2013 Madone vs. Domane ride quality-photo.jpg   2013 Madone vs. Domane ride quality-photo7.jpg   2013 Madone vs. Domane ride quality-photo10.jpg   2013 Madone vs. Domane ride quality-photo5.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you for all of the info and advice folks, but after thinnking thins over for a while I have decided to jump into cyclocross instead of getting another road bike. My R3 really great bike and fun to ride, so I will just stay with that and invest in a cross bike. Keep on riding and thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    I own a Domane 4.5 and i have some weird noises coming from the either the front fork, head steam or maybe even the cable house brackets. Has anyone else had these problems?

The fork also seems to have a "tuning fork" thing inside of it. It sounds as though a rode may be inside of it and vibrated freely.

If anyone knows anything towards this, please let me know. I'm concerned...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast