Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2016 Trek Madone Official Release

15K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  MMsRepBike 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Way too expensive IMO. The pricing actually seems pretty ridiculous when you think about how much cheaper a Fuji Transonic, Giant Propel, new Giant TCR, Cannondale Supersix Evo or Cannondale Caad12 are. The new Foil will probably be chaper as well since they have the Foil 30 version w 105. At some point, a great bike is a great bike.... I still think they will release a 5 Series model eventually though.

#8 · (Edited)
If you have good relationship with a Trek dealer they might discount the bike. When I bought my Madone the shop knocked off $500 and then Trek knocked off another $500 for using Project One. I doubt a dealer would discount this early but maybe in a year? Who knows....

Also my Cervelo dealer discounted my bike 8% off the price.

#7 ·
I agree. I'm not a Trek fan, I'll put that right out there. I've never liked the brand and I still don't like the brand. But I think they pretty much hit a home run here. Not only the best looking, but the easiest to work on as well. They've hit pretty much all of the ques on this one and I have to applaud their work.

I think their newest helmets are a real step up too. They're pulling it together. The Di2 compartment on the Madone and the spring-loaded head tube things are really neat. The full integration is done far superior to Specialized in my opinion and those brakes actually look really strong and dependable. And overall it's nice looking to me. Nothing jenky looking like the cockpit on the Venge.

#12 ·
It's interesting how Scott says that having the cables exposed isn't hurting aero yet Trek says that they saved 40+g of drag by completely internal routing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDtvQOGAB2s

The price on the new Madone is high partially due to it's only the 9-series being produced with the new design. So pretty much purely highest level carbon, made in USA, single piece fully internal bar/stem, dual seat post design, new Isospeed, yada yada. It's not THAT much more expensive than other brand's offerings that are made overseas using less innovation. Yeah $6k is steep for an Ultegra bike but price of first adopter. Venge isn't any cheaper though with an $8k entry level but has mechanical dura ace and aero wheels but produced overseas.

#25 ·
Cancellara likes to stick to what he knows, like mechanical Dura Ace instead of Di2. I also suspect if he couldn't get every fit coordinate down to the millimeter from his Domane over to the new Madone he's going stick with the Domane. Maybe Trek hasn't had time to make a custom handlebar/stem that matches the coordinates he uses.

#26 ·
Ryder Hesjedal's Trek Madone 9 Series - Gallery | Cyclingnews.com

SpecificationsFrameset: 58cm Trek Madone 9 RSL H1 Iso Speed 700 OCLV Viper Red
Wheels: Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 D3
Tires: Veloflex 25 Tubular
Handlebar: Madone XXX Integrated Bar/Stem, KVF profile, 40 x 140 -17 Anatomic (Team Issue) Bontager Blender Mount for SRM- PC8 Head Unit
Seat Post: Madone micro-adjust carbon seatmast cap, 25mm offset
Headset: Madone integrated, stainless cartridge bearings, sealed, 1-3/8" top, 1.5" bottom
Saddle: Bontrager Team Issue
Brakes: Madone Aero Integrated, Center Pull Direct Mount brakes
Bottom Bracket: Trek BB90
Cranks: SRM Dura Ace 9000 Crankset 180 length with 53/39 Dura Ace Chain rings (Double)
Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 9000 Di2
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 9000 DI2
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 9000 DI2
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace 9000 11-28, 11speed
Pedals: Shimano Dura Ace
Bottle Cages: Bontrager XXX Carbon

Critical measurements

Frame size: 58
Saddle: Team issue
Seat post: L25
Handlebar: Sha 40
Stem- 140-17
Cap/Spacer: L
Crank arm length: 180
Cleats (colour): blue
Saddle height 82.2
Setback: 9.2
Saddle incl.: -2
Under Bar-Mid Hub: 51.5
STI: 21
STI-Mid Bar: 63.3
Saddle-Mid Bar: 68.3

#30 · (Edited)
I have seen two in person and it's even better looking up close. One of the Trek reps left his personal Project 1 custom at the Trek shop closest to my house and that thing is ridiculous. Can one of you lend me $5000??? :)

The P1 frameset comes with the stem/handlebar combo, the integrated brakes, etc. and you have like 6 color choices for $4999.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.