Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Emonda

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Good stuff, lol. Thank you for confirming my thoughts on the Domane. It just makes sense to me. The fact that I haven't been swayed/tempted by the new Synapse or the Endurace, which I started looking at last year is a really good sign I think. Both of those bikes seem really cool. I feel really firm on the Domane though, the frameset price can't be beat for what you get IMO.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is an interesting thread. I too overthink bike related purchase decisions, but I do it mainly bc it's so much fun. Last year I figured I'd probably end up with an emonda disc when they came out. This is to replace a 2003 trek oclv based bike (good ol' USPS!) that I've hung a lot of upgrades on over the past 14 years. I liked the idea of emonda disc H2 bc it's very similar to what I have now geometry wise, but with a taller head tube and that will become more important as I intend to ride this the next decade--and I'm not getting younger. Discs are a must for me, and we don't need to dabate they here.

Now that the emonda disc is a reality, and as I continue to think this through, I'm leaning towards the Domane SL or SLR. I have always been put off by the iso speed as to gimmicky but it really has withstood the test of time and I'm sure I would benefit from the little bit of comfort it provides, even though I steadfastly tell myself that unnecesssry.

One thing that has been a problem is getting test rides. I need a 62 and not even the local trel corporate store had a 62 in anything that I can test.

Another thing that bothers me as I get closer to pulling the trigger is that the project one is way more limited that I expected. You can't really mix and match very much at all. And the cost vs benefit of what you get for custom paint seems excessive to me. Anyway, maybe I'll get the frame and build, not sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, it gets tricky when you are shopping for value and/or working with a limited budget. That has definitely been part f my challenge the last five years or so as I transitioned from a legal career to one in HR when we settled on moving our family closer to relatives and friends and ended up in Atlanta. It is fun though like you indicated.

Maybe one of those Trek Demo days is coming somewhere near you. They typically have models in every size to try. Some Trek shops also have Guru or some other fit machine they can use to make sure a particular model is the correct size for you. I have had it done twice and it's worth paying for if you need it IMO. I got it free both times though. The third option is to check on your shop's return policy. When it's tough to get your size in stock, so shops have a policy that will allow them to order the size you collectively think is right, have you try it and get fitted on it once it comes in and allow you to return it and get the correct size if you guys are wrong. It's worth asking because they have as much of an interest in getting the fit right as you do once you have plopped the money down on the counter. You should be able to get it done one way or the other I'm sure. $1500 for the SL and $2999 for the SLR for either frame is definitely tough to beat though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Oh yeah, I 'm not really impressed with P1 this year either. I'm fine with the frameset colors though so I'm not sweating it. I'm not in love with some of the complete bike paint schemes either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    @Drone5200, before you build up from a SLR frameset, you might want to give this some serious consideration. You would give up a little weight and the rear sliding mechanism (Which I have read isn't that big of a deal), but you would be hard pressed to beat this price with carbon wheels and the new Ultegra while building it up yourself. The colors for this option are decent too:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...de=black_white

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    @Drone5200, before you build up from a SLR frameset, you might want to give this some serious consideration. You would give up a little weight and the rear sliding mechanism (Which I have read isn't that big of a deal), but you would be hard pressed to beat this price with carbon wheels and the new Ultegra while building it up yourself. The colors for this option are decent too:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...de=black_white
    Thanks for the link. That's what I'm looking for price wise (5k) and spec wise (ultegra and I think those Aeolus pro 3 are good value) but I want discs and I'm not too fond of black, but could get used to it. And this is what's frustrating me... they aren't offering the SL 7 with disc. Ugh. At least I couldn't find it. And when I look at P1 it's an upcharge that isn't attractive. So maybe I'll decide to acquire the SLR disc and build it up at the end of summer. I do like to tinker. And the looking game continues .... but that's okay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    Thanks for the link. That's what I'm looking for price wise (5k) and spec wise (ultegra and I think those Aeolus pro 3 are good value) but I want discs and I'm not too fond of black, but could get used to it. And this is what's frustrating me... they aren't offering the SL 7 with disc. Ugh. At least I couldn't find it. And when I look at P1 it's an upcharge that isn't attractive. So maybe I'll decide to acquire the SLR disc and build it up at the end of summer. I do like to tinker. And the looking game continues .... but that's okay.

No problem, trust me, I understand. There's always the SL Disc in grey and red. I bet it looks good in person, you could add the wheels for $1200 and still save money, but you would have 105 instead of Ultegra.

FTP testing
    Lol, absolutely not. I know I totally overthink everything that has to do with bikes, but it's a hobby and so I just roll with it and give myself a pass. We all have something, right? I finally bought a right now bike (a Ridley Fenix AL, with 105 and a tubeless wheel setup) that I actually really like at the moment (it's fun to ride), so there's even less pressure to commit to something unfortunately.

That being said, I am almost certain that I will just buy a nicer road frameset I like sometime this year, and the Domane SL seems to meet all of my needs at a great price. I still would like to add an all out gravel racer like the lowest level carbon Diverge down the road, but right now I am really enjoying the routes and the people I am riding road with, so I will likely to just opt for a better frameset for now.

In sum, my crazy analysis went something like this (in case it helps someone else that suffers from my "condition"): the Emonda is cool, but the Domane makes way more sense for how and where I am riding at the same price, the BMC Teammachine looks great but is too pricey for a frameset, and the Cervelo R Series suffers from the same pricing issues when compared to Trek. I also like some of Litespeed Ti frames, they are tempting, but the Trek dealer is right near where I live and I like the Isospeed and extra tire clearance quite a bit. The pricing puts it over the top. The end.
    What happened to the X2 gold and red Specialized Allez Sprint you ordered in 2016?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
    What happened to the X2 gold and red Specialized Allez Sprint you ordered in 2016?
    It basically ended up being my greatest bike purchasing mistake that I have made to date. In short, I was about 70% done with building it when I got all excited about the gravel and XC mountain bike scenes, so I sold it it to some guy from Germany that really wanted it (apparently they couldn't get that color). I later realized that, despite my interest in gravel bikes, I am still mostly a roadie at heart and it is the most convenient way for me to be able to ride regularly here with other people. In essence, I learned the hard way that I need at least one road bike and have regretted selling it ever since, but it is what it is. I was considering getting another one when I came across a deal on an Orbea Orca (which didn't actually exist/ had already been sold) and then the Ridley. It was a horrible series of events, but it's over.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Oh yeah, I 'm not really impressed with P1 this year either. I'm fine with the frameset colors though so I'm not sweating it. I'm not in love with some of the complete bike paint schemes either.
    Unfortunately since P1 is the only way to get an H1 Disc frame, I had to go this route. I ended up going with the Trek-Segafredo team color after initially ordering the Blue Steel / Dnister Black "Gran Premio" theme.

Paint isn't really a strength for any of the major brands other than Specialized. It would be nice if Trek, Cannondale, Giant, etc. stepped it up. Even within Giant, Liv paint is nicer than the male/unisex options.

Corey213
    But you are getting a new bike and that is exciting! Can't wait to hear about the first ride and see pictures

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    LBS called. My P1 is in...760g painted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    LBS called. My P1 is in...760g painted.
    Nice! What size?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    Nice! What size?
    I got an H1 54cm disc frame. The shop manager says pretty much nobody orders H1...ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Oh yeah, in addition to the extra cost of the seatmast cap, the frame did not come with a pair of thru-axles. This seems like a silly omission when 12x142mm thru-axles are not all created equal. Some are longer than others. Some have 1mm thread pitch while others have 1.5mm or 1.75mm...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got an H1 54cm disc frame. The shop manager says pretty much nobody orders H1...ever.
    It looks like an H1. When I get mine it will be an H2, lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh yeah, in addition to the extra cost of the seatmast cap, the frame did not come with a pair of thru-axles. This seems like a silly omission when 12x142mm thru-axles are not all created equal. Some are longer than others. Some have 1mm thread pitch while others have 1.5mm or 1.75mm...
    Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about whether the thru axles would be included. That's lame of trek not to include them. I built a Niner last summer with a rockshox fork and both the frame and fork came the appropriate thru-axles.

Also of interest to me is that I guess this shows that one can order just the frame thru P1. I asked about that at a trek shop and was met with blank stares. I'll find a better shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Fin. iPhone pic for now.

Not the lightest build by any means. It'll be about 16lbs with cages and garmin mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Additional notes. If your wheels have hubs that require an externally splined centerlock rotor lockring (Shimano HB20) such as my White Industries CLD, you will need to grind down / chamfer the edge of the lockring in order to clear the flat-mount bulge on inside of the left fork leg. I spent the last couple hours searching for lower-profile externally notched lockrings without any luck.

First impressions. This is the most aggressive bike I've ever ridden. The front end is so low, when I straddle the bike it feels like there's a huge gulf between my crotch and the top tube. As seen in the photo, tire clearance is ridiculous. Those are 25mm Zipp Tangente Speed RT25s, which run between 26.5 and 26.75mm on ENVE SES 5.6 Disc rims. I think the chainstays can handle at least 31mm measured, and maybe even 32mm.

Thru-axle standards suck. As far as I can tell, the specific thru-axles needed for the Emonda SLR Disc are a 123mm long 12x1.75mm thread-pitch Maxle in front and a 174mm long 12x1.75mm thread-pitch Maxle in back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=ceugene;5174591][FONT="]Additional notes. If your wheels have hubs that require an externally splined centerlock rotor lockring (Shimano HB20) such as my White Industries CLD, you will need to grind down / chamfer the edge of the lockring in order to clear the flat-mount bulge on inside of the left fork leg. I spent the last couple hours searching for lower-profile externally notched lockrings without any luck.[/FONT]

I think absolute black sells a low profile external notched lockring. Also my Domane came with a shimano low profile internal notched lockring on the front.
    BTW that is one sweet bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quelle beau velo! And thanks for the tip about the lockring.

Corey213
    That is SOOOO good looking!

Great job, get out and rip up some road

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Re: lockring clearance issue

I asked White Industries if they have secret small lockring compatible endcaps, and yes they do. Having a pair sent out tomorrow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    would be interested in the details as i thought ANY 12mm front centerlock hub required externally splined BB Tool type lockring

Re: lockring clearance issue

I asked White Industries if they have secret small lockring compatible endcaps, and yes they do. Having a pair sent out tomorrow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    would be interested in the details as i thought ANY 12mm front centerlock hub required externally splined BB Tool type lockring
    They just milled out some extra material around the endcap so the internally notched tools will fit. The Shimano HB20 is officially meant for 15/20mm thru-axles and not 12mm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast