Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Emonda

Forever a Student

2018 Emonda

Looks quite similar. Just a refresh, a bit of a change to the stays and hanger and such.
    use a torque wrench

Quiet moderator
    Di2 wire routing is improved.
    Rear brake cable route is different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Looking to hear more about the disc brake version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Looking to hear more about the disc brake version.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/a...-emonda-50219/

Here's some new info. Two questions I have when looking at the pictures : will all models have what seems like a carbon derailleur hanger, and will they all run the front brake hose externally, or is it just something reserved to the higher spec SLR in order to save some weight?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It actually looks pretty legit. The prices are really good. It's growing on me for sure.

https://youtu.be/SJ4g25P8hlg

Last edited by Rashadabd; 07-03-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I got word at the local shop yesterday that Trek will be reducing some of the prices on their carbon wheels as well. I heard some may even be like $1200 like the Giant sets. So, in essence, you will be able to get a Emonda SL frameset for less than $1600 or a complete shimano 105 equipped bike for less than $1900 or a new Ultegra equipped bike for less than $2500, and a carbon set of wheels for $1200. That's a pretty sweet deal regardless of which way you go. You can also get the combination of Ultegra and carbon wheels for $3249. Not bad at all.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...3AfacetBrake1#

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Full 2018 lineup is online. The weight is missing for a few models but I'm sure it will be corrected. A disappointment for me : the Emonda Sl6 disc probably has the most boring paint job ever (matte silver). Still on my short list for my future bike, but I might go project one.

Anyone knows the cost of a simple (like red and black) custom project one paintjob?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
    Full 2018 lineup is online. The weight is missing for a few models but I'm sure it will be corrected. A disappointment for me : the Emonda Sl6 disc probably has the most boring paint job ever (matte silver). Still on my short list for my future bike, but I might go project one.

Anyone knows the cost of a simple (like red and black) custom project one paintjob?
    Go to the project one tool and play around with it. It will show you the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I don't see a way to customize any of the disc models. I would like SLR model, but would prefer Di2. Am I missing something?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I don't see a way to customize any of the disc models. I would like SLR model, but would prefer Di2. Am I missing something?
    Unfortunately, I think you are right, it doesn't look like Project One is available for the disc brake models, the framesets, or the SL series this year. It might be worth confirming that with your local shop though. Sometimes they simply don't advertise stuff like that, but are willing to do it. For me, I only really need a frameset at this point (if I stay with rim brakes), so I am most interested in debating the value of going with the SLR frameset over the SL frameset. Even though it's double the price, the SLR frameset still looks like a pretty good deal given the weight, etc., but the SL frameset is a ridiculous value and more than adequate for an average Joe like me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Here's an interesting and what appears to be balanced review:

Test: Trek Emonda SLR Disc 2018 – is lighter really better? | GRAN FONDO Cycling Magazine

And another (which also discusses the new wheels):

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/2018...-specs-prices/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Here's a detail...2018 Emonda SLs are not the new frame design that the SLRs are. They are current frame deisgns.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmchapple View Post
    Here's a detail...2018 Emonda SLs are not the new frame design that the SLRs are. They are current frame deisgns.
    Yeah, learned that today as well. Pricing is still good, but it's less exciting. Comparing the Emonda frames against going with a Litespeed Titanium one now. Litespeed is in the lead with the T6 and T2, which are similarly priced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    how does the h1 v h2 impact the handling?

Same chainstay length, same headtube angle?
    longer toptube, shorter headtube.

assuming the fit position is the same the handling should be the same re: geometry, the only difference (not insignificant) would be a shorter stem on H1 (probably 20mm shorter)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Unfortunately, I think you are right, it doesn't look like Project One is available for the disc brake models, the framesets, or the SL series this year. It might be worth confirming that with your local shop though. Sometimes they simply don't advertise stuff like that, but are willing to do it. For me, I only really need a frameset at this point (if I stay with rim brakes), so I am most interested in debating the value of going with the SLR frameset over the SL frameset. Even though it's double the price, the SLR frameset still looks like a pretty good deal given the weight, etc., but the SL frameset is a ridiculous value and more than adequate for an average Joe like me.
    Project One actually does have the disc option, but it's hidden on the Emonda SLR 9 configurator under the frame options. It's not an option for the lower spec complete bikes. You can also order just the frameset via Project One, but it will cost $3499 MSRP for one of four stock paint options plus $120 for the integrated seatmast topper. This really surprised me...why the extra cost for a part that is absolutely required? Other options at configuration time for the frameset are bottom bracket bearings and your choice of alloy or carbon headset bearing covers. The cheapest custom paint options (Solid Trek Logo, Gran Premio) add another $500 to the cost.

This is of course a significant premium over the $2999 rim brake frameset, but I guess Trek has done its research and determined the market for custom H1 Emonda SLR Disc frames to be minuscule for now.

Anyway, I know all his because I ordered a Blue Steel/Dnister Black H1/Disc frameset. Lead time is 14 days plus transit. The LBS would not budge on price even though the seatmast topper hidden cost is really inane. Not really their fault, but Trek corporate's.
    Last edited by ceugene; 07-09-2017 at 07:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    how does the h1 v h2 impact the handling?

Same chainstay length, same headtube angle?
    longer toptube, shorter headtube.

assuming the fit position is the same the handling should be the same re: geometry, the only difference (not insignificant) would be a shorter stem on H1 (probably 20mm shorter)
    Correct, reach/stack are a matter of comfort vs aerodynamics/center of gravity. Since headtube angles, rake and trail are the same, handling will indeed be pretty much the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Project One actually does have the disc option, but it's hidden on the Emonda SLR 9 configurator under the frame options.
    Thank you for the pointer. Price jumps to over US$12K for SLR9 with disc and Dura Ace Di2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Thank you for the pointer. Price jumps to over US$12K for SLR9 with disc and Dura Ace Di2.
    Hehe yeah, like I find out the hard way when I ordered mine, an H1 Emonda SLR Disc frameset will cost you $3620 MSRP. If you want a rim brake H1 fit Emonda frameset, you can get the black/red/white one for just $2999. Oh well..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    And only the SLR 9 is available in H1 geo via P1. the SLR8 Disc is not customizable at all including the geo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone seen a disc version in real life yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quiet moderator
    If you are considering the SL frameset, you might as well consider the cheaper ALR frameset as well. Similar weight too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
    If you are considering the SL frameset, you might as well consider the cheaper ALR frameset as well. Similar weight too.
    Nah, I want the front and rear Isospeed if I go the Trek route, so I am more interested in the Domane at this point (same price), plus I already have one alloy bike and probably wouldn't add another one. The SLR price isn't crazy either, but I also like some of the Litespeed Ti frames at that price point. We'll see, but Domane SL frameset is starting to feel right.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    We'll see, but Domane SL frameset is starting to feel right.
    Well, we're certainly not going to be able to accuse you of being an impulse buyer! 😀

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Well, we're certainly not going to be able to accuse you of being an impulse buyer! 😀
    Lol, absolutely not. I know I totally overthink everything that has to do with bikes, but it's a hobby and so I just roll with it and give myself a pass. We all have something, right? I finally bought a right now bike (a Ridley Fenix AL, with 105 and a tubeless wheel setup) that I actually really like at the moment (it's fun to ride), so there's even less pressure to commit to something unfortunately.

That being said, I am almost certain that I will just buy a nicer road frameset I like sometime this year, and the Domane SL seems to meet all of my needs at a great price. I still would like to add an all out gravel racer like the lowest level carbon Diverge down the road, but right now I am really enjoying the routes and the people I am riding road with, so I will likely to just opt for a better frameset for now.

In sum, my crazy analysis went something like this (in case it helps someone else that suffers from my "condition"): the Emonda is cool, but the Domane makes way more sense for how and where I am riding at the same price, the BMC Teammachine looks great but is too pricey for a frameset, and the Cervelo R Series suffers from the same pricing issues when compared to Trek. I also like some of Litespeed Ti frames, they are tempting, but the Trek dealer is right near where I live and I like the Isospeed and extra tire clearance quite a bit. The pricing puts it over the top. The end.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    In sum, my crazy analysis ... but the Trek dealer is right near where I live and I like the Isospeed and extra tire clearance quite a bit. The pricing puts it over the top.
    And I get manic when there is a decision out there waiting to get made. As Roseanne Rosannadana said "It's always somethin'."

I had pretty much the same set of deciding criteria, and it came down to Domane v Roubaix.

I got much more love from the local Trek shop. They are located only four blocks apart.

At the time I chose the Domane its price was higher. It is now lower for 2018. (This is where my mania cost me $1,000 in 2017 pricing v 2018. Nonetheless I am happy with the decision. If I had done another 2,000+ miles on my swoopy Lemond I'd be racked.)

The Isospeed inserts have worked just fine, but are not decisively better than the Roubaix setup, IMO. In fact there is a distinct "clunk" in the front when hitting a pothole that I would think might not happen with the Futureshock. Otherwise, I am fresher after a long ride than I could imagine being on a "race" frame.

I really like running 32mm tires. In fact, I just bought a new set of Bontrager R2s in anticipation of the impending demise of the originals. Running 32s with fenders was important to me, and I wasn't sure that was possible in the Roubaix. FWIW - there are few decent 32mm tires available at a decent price, hence the choice to go back to Bontrager. The dynamite Roval wheels on the SL 6 Disc were also a major plus.

In summary, I endorse your lean to the Domane. Having said all that, and at the risk of enabling your "condition", the impending entry of the Canyon Endurace in to the market might well change the choice. I would suspect the ride qualities to be somewhat less forgiving than the Domane or Roubaix, but as good or better than the rest. It's weight will be lower, perhaps substantially so. And the price should be good.

Keep having fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast