Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

2018 Trek Domane SL

Am I reading this correctly? Does the SL version of the Domane now have the front AND rear decouplers/Isospeed?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

Edit: I confirmed that it does have both now (and in 2017), which makes it seem like a really good value....
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 07-10-2017 at 05:46 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Edit: I confirmed that it does have both now (and in 2017), which makes it seem like a really good value....
    Reducing the the price $1,000 does improve the value a bit.

FWIW- a guy in the local Trek shop speculated that price changes are due to mfrs' anxiety over the upcoming entry of Canyon into the US market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Reducing the the price $1,000 does improve the value a bit.

FWIW- a guy in the local Trek shop speculated that price changes are due to mfrs' anxiety over the upcoming entry of Canyon into the US market.
    That could easily be the case. Either way, I like it. Trek is basically priced at the level of Giant and Fuji now on everything except the Madone. You add Canyon to the mix, and that's a nice set of options for consumers. Specialized and the Italian brands seem to be still going in the other direction. All the nice new models appear to be $4000 or higher for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    almost 35% reduction in the price of the Domane SL frameset on the US site.

Interested if this is extended worldwide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    The revised SL is quite a nice bike for the money. The front IsoSpeed is not quite as functional as the Roubaix Futureshock, but it sure is better than nothing and some people may actually prefer the difference.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    The revised SL is quite a nice bike for the money. The front IsoSpeed is not quite as functional as the Roubaix Futureshock, but it sure is better than nothing and some people may actually prefer the difference.
    Agreed re: Futureshock v IsoSpeed. And the Roubaix seat cluster, which doesn't get enough ink IMO, is also trick. If the Roubaix had the sweet Rovals found on the SL 6 Disc I'd probably be riding Specialized now. That, and if the LBS was more enthusiastic about winning my business.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Agreed. At $1550 for the frameset, what's not to like? I was looking at an Emonda or a Litespeed Ti frameset as a potential upgrade to my Ridley, but this one is starting to win me over, especially since the Trek shop is the closest to my place by a significant margin and the people that work there are way laid back and super cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Right now, my favorite option (by a long shot) is to get the SL Frameset, switch over my 105 5800 and some of my components from my Ridley and then add a new Isocore or some other handlebar and a set of the new $1200 Bontrager carbon wheels or Chain Reaction Cycles Prime 50mm tubeless carbon clinchers. I will probably just do it a piece at a time and keep riding the Ridley or the Emonda while I am upgrading. I am going to go ahead and call this my final decision. Time to pull my pennies together and put this puppy in action!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Here's a good review of the SL. It also discusses how much value the rear slider found on the SLR adds, etc.

Trek Domane SL6 review - BikeRadar USA
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 07-13-2017 at 10:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Actual weight of an SL Disc version. I am guessing a rim brake bike is a pound or so lighter with similar wheels and components.

RoadBikeReview Member

2018 Trek Domane SL

Thanks for sharing these. Did that video really say the disc version could accomdate a 38 tire?

You've got Domane on the brain, and so do I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    Thanks for sharing these. Did that video really say the disc version could accomdate a 38 tire?

You've got Domane on the brain, and so do I.

No problem. That's exactly what the man said. Which means you could actually get away with running the disc version in a number of gravel events. That's so crazy. Lol, I absolutely suffer from Domane-itis right now. It's a bad butt set of wheels man.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 07-13-2017 at 11:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    One more (SLR this time):

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I am going to go ahead and call this my final decision. Time to pull my pennies together and put this puppy in action!
    "As it is written, so shall it be done."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jsr View Post
    "as it is written, so shall it be done."
    lol!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like those videos. This one is good too. It's pure trek propaganda, I know. But still fun...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OP80n76nz4Y

Neophyte
    I just rode a 2017 Domane SL 6 for a week, it was a nice bike but didn't feel like it was any more comfy over bumps than my Scott Addict.

Edit: I would note that the Bontrager Speed Stop brakes worked great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The video says that ISO speed is proprietary. So I guess they have it patented. Anyone know? That would explain why nobody has copied it yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    The video says that ISO speed is proprietary. So I guess they have it patented. Anyone know? That would explain why nobody has copied it yet.

Google knows:

https://bikeip.com/2015/05/28/treks-...isospeed-tech/

Patent US8857841 - Bicycle frame with passive seat tube pivot joint - Google Patents

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I like those videos. This one is good too. It's pure trek propaganda, I know. But still fun...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OP80n76nz4Y

There's definitely some serious marketing in there, but I enjoy it anyway. I tested the original Domane when it came out, so I feel like I have a good idea of what I am getting into. I dig it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You may have seen my post on Domane vs Emonda. For a while I though I wanted traditional but this is warming up to me a lot. I'll share more thoughts on that in the other thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I'm considering a Domane but coming from Madone type geometry. I am concerned about the tall head tube and short reach. Am I over-analyzing? Have any of you ridden a Domane? What's your impression of the overall fit/feel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Start by looking at your current setup:
    Stem length and angle, spacers under the stem, reach and stack of your frame.

Then compare the reach and stack of the Domane and see if you can adjust stem length, angle and spacer to match fit... if that's your goal.

There are online calculators Tha make doing these comparisons easier.

Stack and reach calculator
    GearInches.com ยป Bike Geometry Comparator
    Bicycle Calculator - compare frame sizes and calculate head angle

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jmchapple View Post
    I'm considering a Domane but coming from Madone type geometry. I am concerned about the tall head tube and short reach. Am I over-analyzing? Have any of you ridden a Domane? What's your impression of the overall fit/feel?
    When I first rode the Domane I had the distinct impression of the cockpit being somewhat in my face, perhaps moreso than any of the endurance bikes I looked at. If I was still young and supple I may well have chosen a more aggressive setup. Of course, with a change to the stem a compromise could be found.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmchapple View Post
    I'm in the same situation. Coming from a 5200 geometry in size 62 and considering Domane H2. In my size the head tube is higher by 4.5 cm (not including that headset cap) on the Domane which means to keep a similar fit I will have to slam the stem on the Domane. But I think that's probably a good thing since I plan to keep this bike for many years and I think the stem might just creep up over time as I presumably become less flexible with age. Whats going to affect the handling more I think is the longer wheel base and slacker head tube of he Domane. I do also have access to my son's Roubaix (in my size) which has similar geo to the Domane and when I try it the longer wheel base is noticeable. The Roubaix feels like it wants to stay going straight, and doesn't turn quite as quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast