Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Domane 4,5,6

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Smile Domane 4,5,6

Got to check out the new Domane 4,5,6 at the LBS today. The series 6 was out of my price range so I didn't look too close. The 5 looked great in the red/white but not so sure I like the white seat mast and white wall tires. It also appeared that it comes with the Race wheel set and not the Racelite as stated on the website. The 4 has a mix of Ultegra and 105 and basic Shimano crankset. Doesn't seem to have the as much flex in the seat tube due to the use of a regular seat post. The 5 series,with the mast, has more flex. It was a basic black and white color that was kind of blah. I am very interested in the 5 series but would want to find out if I get the Racelite wheel set,without an up charge, as stated on the Trek website.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The black Domane 5-series also has Di2. At that point you should really just get a 6-series and put a more cost-effective groupset on it... and pick the paint and other parts you want with Project One. You can definitely get a 6 cheaper than a 5.9. The 5.2 comes in red/white.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Sometimes it's not about a "cost effective" groupset, but a desired choice. Once you try the electronic shifting, you might find it irresistible. I like the autotrim myself, as the metal rubbing always makes me wonder why on earth haven't they figured that out yet?

Also, the difference between 500 OCLV and 600 OCLV might be negligible to all but the the strongest riders.

Just my .02

RoadBikeReview Member
    The autotrim is fantastic, but I'm not sure I'd ever learn to like the lack of tactile feedback to shifts. I actually prefer SRAM over Shimano because of the better feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexhunter View Post
    Also, the difference between 500 OCLV and 600 OCLV might be negligible to all but the the strongest riders.
    I'll agree to this--but having a bike made in the USA is worth something in my book!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvinK View Post
    I'll agree to this--but having a bike made in the USA is worth something in my book!
    None of the Domane line of bikes are made in the USA, only the 6 and 7 series Madones.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh yea, sorry... forgot we were talking about Domane. Good point.

I wish Trek had more appealing paint jobs for the Domane. I was looking for one for my wife and she hated the paint jobs for all of the 5 & 6 series WSD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Flashback 10 years ...
    Does anyone remember the last time Trek introduced the active rear suspension technology, which was called SPA, or Suspension Performance Advantage?
    This innovation only lasted a few years before it was relegated to the dustbin. Here we go again with new and improved version of the rubber donut... another Fail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The local shop actually had an older SPA bike and the first thing they did when they got their first Domane is go ride both on some nasty chipseal and even some cobbles (albeit relatively mild ones). Definitely a big step forward. I'd still personally choose a Madone over a Domane, but it's probably the more practical choice for the majority of us spending that much on our own bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Marvin, have you played with the P1 options? You can toggle around the colors in the stock scheme or do some of the more custom stuff (more $$) and offset some of the cost by down specing parts (wheels, alloy stem/bar instead of carbon, etc.) that you don't need. Pretty slick.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsix911 View Post
    Flashback 10 years ...
    Does anyone remember the last time Trek introduced the active rear suspension technology, which was called SPA, or Suspension Performance Advantage?
    This innovation only lasted a few years before it was relegated to the dustbin. Here we go again with new and improved version of the rubber donut... another Fail.
    Two things:
    1. The bike in these pictures was never sold to the public, it was custom for the team. The SPA feature was only available on the Pilot, Klein Reve and some of the alloy Trek frames. On the carbon 5000 series team frames it worked so well that Hincapie and the other classics riders on the team used it @ Roubaix and Flanders as long as it was available to them. Later bikes didn't have a mono-stay so I don't think it could be done on them. Notice that Boonen did not use the new Roubaix seat post shock-thing this year.

2. Have you ridden a Domane? It works very well and the cycling media universally agrees on it. Might not be the right fit for you (tall head tube), but that hardly makes it a failure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post
    Marvin, have you played with the P1 options? You can toggle around the colors...
    Yea, I think they did a much better job picking both schemes and colors for the new Madone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Unhappy Web update

Trek website now reflects reality. The 5.2 Madone and Domane are now listed with Race wheels and not Racelite. I know its only 400 grams difference between the two but I liked the idea of the lighter wheels as stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got to ride one today. It was a 56 not the 54 i usually ride. Do it didn't really fit me. But I liked it. I can see them doing some cool stuff with line of bikes. Any one think turning it in to a disk brake cross bike will be the next step?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had hoped to see CX isospeed w/discs... based on TrekWorld EU they must have put all their engineers on Madone, Domane and Superfly. No improvements in cross whatsoever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had hoped to see CX isospeed w/discs... based on TrekWorld EU they must have put all their engineers on Madone, Domane and Superfly. No improvements in cross whatsoever.
    For now. But I really don't see them holding out for too long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe they're holding out for US version of TrekWorld in a few weeks... otherwise looks like another year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe they're holding out for US version of TrekWorld in a few weeks... otherwise looks like another year.
    I could see them holding out for a year to see how Domane sales do before they expand it to a cross bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post
    None of the Domane line of bikes are made in the USA, only the 6 and 7 series Madones.
    Reference? I was under the impression all 6 series were made in the US

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by bob5820 View Post
    Reference? I was under the impression all 6 series were made in the US
    They're not. Frames are made in Asia. They're beautifully made frames, I love mine.

From Roadbike Action's article:

"While the endurance oriented Domane is a compliment to the all-around racing Madone line, sharing the same OCLV process, it differs in that it comes from Asia rather than Waterloo, Wisconsin. Trek Product Manager Ben Coates says, “The OCLV technology that Trek developed in Waterloo is used in all of our carbon frames, even the ones coming from our partners overseas. We have a full staff of employees to oversee our proprietary OCLV process outside of Wisconsin to ensure that it meets our standards.”

FEATURES: FIRST RIDE: TREK'S RADICAL DOMANE

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Wish they offered a 64cm version.

What up, dog?
    I have had a Domane 4.5 for 3 weeks now, and I can't think of one thing I don't like about it. The ride quality is flat out amazing. I don't race these days, just mainly solo rides, and I have some low-back disc issues. This is JUST what the doctor ordered! Love the new Ultegra gruppo too - I have been using SRAM the past few years and forgot how refined Shimano felt -- good enough to replace the Apex group on my Salsa Vaya with 105.

I'm not a fan of Trek or full carbon, but the Domane has made me a believer. It is replacing an Orbea Lobular and Cervelo Soloist Carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been demoing this 5.2 for the past 3 days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    How do you like it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb21 View Post
    How do you like it?
    Very nice bike. The ride and handling are great and the power transfer is immediate. The "endurance geometry" is exactly what I've been looking for. Bike weights in at 18 lbs with pedals and travel bag. I'm supposed to have this demo back by Thursday. I think I'll just take them back my credit card.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast