RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

My new Domane SL5 Disc

Picked up a 2018 Domane SL5 Disc. Was planning on using it as a backup/wet weather bike to my Giant TCR Advanced Pro. But after a few rides on it I'm a little concerned that my TCR will be collecting dust.

This bike is that good. Stiff in the BB for climbing yet the Front and Rear ISO speed and 28 Clement LGG tires really smooth the ride.

Also couldn't leave well enough alone. Just put on a set HED Ardennes +LT to replace the boat anchor Bontrager wheels. Between the tire and wheel swap I dropped just about 2 pounds
    My new Domane SL5 Disc-domane-sl5-disc-hed.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPedals View Post
    Picked up a 2018 Domane SL5 Disc. Was planning on using it as a backup/wet weather bike to my Giant TCR Advanced Pro. But after a few rides on it I'm a little concerned that my TCR will be collecting dust.

This bike is that good. Stiff in the BB for climbing yet the Front and Rear ISO speed and 28 Clement LGG tires really smooth the ride.

Also couldn't leave well enough alone. Just put on a set HED Ardennes +LT to replace the boat anchor Bontrager wheels. Between the tire and wheel swap I dropped just about 2 pounds
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domane SL5 Disc HED.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	319781
    Nice!!!!! That color looks much better live. I would love to see more pics if you have the time and inclination to share more. That's a really nice ride though man.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks ! Here's some more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Domane SL5 Disc-domane-6.jpg   My new Domane SL5 Disc-domane-5.jpg   My new Domane SL5 Disc-domane-4.jpg   My new Domane SL5 Disc-domane-3.jpg   My new Domane SL5 Disc-domane-2.jpg  

My new Domane SL5 Disc-domane-1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Very nice, thanks!
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gorgeous bike! Nice choice! What wheels came stock? I didn't realize they were so heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    Gorgeous bike! Nice choice! What wheels came stock? I didn't realize they were so heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. It came with Bontrager approved wheels. Think they are just formula hubs with bontrager branded rims and thick straight gauge spokes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domane SL5 Disc HED.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	319781
    I'd love to know how you feel about the geometry? I guess you don't feel like the head tube is too tall, reach is too short, etc? I'm thinking about getting one but have never ridden an "endurance geometry" before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    JM, Geometry is fine. I was also concerned about the tall head tube/short reach. Somehow it all gels together. I might dropped the stem a little more. If I needed to I could put a longer(10mm) stem on and Slam it to equal my TCR but I really don't feel the need. Remember it is a different style bike. It you want a race bike go Emonda Disc. Even with the different setup of my Domane vs the TCR I don't think it is any slower. Here is a picture of my TCR for comparisionMy new Domane SL5 Disc-100_1057.jpgMy new Domane SL5 Disc-100_0949.jpg

Corey213
    Jan 2013
    Great looking bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    JM, Geometry is fine. I was also concerned about the tall head tube/short reach. Somehow it all gels together. I might dropped the stem a little more. If I needed to I could put a longer(10mm) stem on and Slam it to equal my TCR but I really don't feel the need. Remember it is a different style bike. It you want a race bike go Emonda Disc. Even with the different setup of my Domane vs the TCR I don't think it is any slower. Here is a picture of my TCR for comparisionClick image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1057.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	319805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0949.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	319806
    i was thinking a longer stem if necessary and slamming it but my current bike is already slammed. what size is it? looks pretty big. i ride a 60.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I'm 6'0" with a 34" cycling inseam. The Domane is a size 56 and my TCR is a Medium/Large. I think you really need to test ride one to see if it will work for you