57K views 111 replies 66 participants last post by  robdamanii 
#1 ·
Good idea?
Cheating?
Awesome?
Do you want one?
Will it help Fabian?

#8 ·
To me, it sounds like trek is trying to access a particular area of the market place. This is good for any company that desires to maintain it's market share and continue to grow.
Specialized has the Roubaix, now trek has this in their quiver. Good for them. Perhaps this will mean more manufacturing back here at home.:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Curious to see how the bearing system works exactly.

Wonder if Volagi will file a suit?

#13 ·
Awesome and I want one.

I don't understand the negative comments toward Trek. Picking a bike is mostly fit and feel. If one feels best on a Trek...so be it.

Ever ridden a Madone? Before I bought my last 6.2 Madone I rode a Speclalized, 2 Bianchis, a Felt, a Cervelo, and a Cannondale. All considered similar to the 6.2 Madone. I thought my Madone felt the best of all, hands down. I really wanted to help out my local LBS and buy Bianchi but there was no comparison.

If you don't like Trek, ok, many do. You don't have to like Trek just as I don't have to feel comfortable on your favorite bike.

Reactions: tuck
#31 ·
I don't understand the negative comments toward Trek. Picking a bike is mostly fit and feel. If one feels best on a Trek...so be it.

Ever ridden a Madone? Before I bought my last 6.2 Madone I rode a Speclalized, 2 Bianchis, a Felt, a Cervelo, and a Cannondale. All considered similar to the 6.2 Madone. I thought my Madone felt the best of all, hands down. I really wanted to help out my local LBS and buy Bianchi but there was no comparison.

If you don't like Trek, ok, many do. You don't have to like Trek just as I don't have to feel comfortable on your favorite bike.
:thumbsup:

#15 ·
I think its a good idea; added compliance is always a plus. Cancellara looks good and the ad is somewhat inspiring. I'm pretty much not interested in anything made of CF..but for those who are, it may be of interest.

On rewatching the ad, I couldn't help but notice how rather small and ugly the bike looks next to Fabian. I mean, he looks good, but the way the pros are fitted nowadays...their bikes always look ridiculously small. But thats another point altogether.

#20 ·
I can understand even having a passion for dislike (I have one for specialized). The part I don't get it the need to post crap on a forum. If you don't like them fine. It doesn't mean you have to post negative about a topic someone is trying to get some genuine feedback on. A little self control would go a long way on the internets. :idea:

8000 dollars for a bike that handles rough roads possibly no better than my mid 80's 753 Bob Jackson a bit pricey.
Yes someone call Trek and tell them they just wasted thousands of dollars and man hours in r&d because your mid 80's bike will possibly handle like this thing. Give your head a shake :eek:ut:

#26 ·
"So, it's a suspension frame. I suspect we'll see it on more of their downstream line - not for racing the cobbles, but coddling the non-racers".

Exactly.... and that is me all over. I love the look and idea of this bike.

My only concern is the longer wheelbase which might be perfect for cobbles but for the generally rubbish roads here in the UK and my style of riding (fitness) might mean a bike that is a little too stable....

I ride a Tarmac and found the Roubaix just too barge like to have fun on. That aside Trek may as well have designed this for me and I don't mind the implications of that one bit. Sure I might well ride a steel bike or this or that or the other but why Trek abuse? I just don't understand it...

I would have mine in black and white

#30 ·
I just spent some time looking through Treks web site. I feel the frame has some good, some bad, and some interesting ideas wrapped up in marketing hype. Most of all it shows thinking going into how bikes are being used and not just needs to be stiffer and lighter to sell.

The seat tube is interesting but it is really one of those things you would have to ride to know what it is about. Trek makes a good argument for it but until people get seat time with it on roads normal people ride every day it is a "do I need it" question. Some will say yes some will say no. There is a fair amount of chip seal roads in PA but nothing that is as bad as cobbles, do I need it? Right now my answer is no, but I am open to trying it out and see what it is like, might change my mind,

Good:
I like the cable routing. They took a different approach to the problem is it better or worse no idea yet but at least they are thinking about the details.

One frame for mechanical or electronic groups is a great thing.

Built in chain catcher, looks simple and easy to set. Not the first bike to have one, but it is a nice detail.

Bad:
Not on board with the fork. Seems like they were doing something different to make it different. A fork can be tuned without placing the drop outs on the trailing edge. They also mention a 20% increase in fork rake, since rake is measured from steer to drop out the funky trailing edge does not help there either. The graphic on treks website of the fork with 2 red lines means nothing. It is just part of a marketing story.

The bars with built in foam pads. meh. If the frame is really that awesome should I need built in bar pads? my answer is no.

indifferent on:
huge head tube, 90mm bb, I have ridden plenty of bikes that are stiff enough without those. Not a problem that this frame has them, but I am more impressed with how a frame rides then BB numbers.
The douTrap, nice touch but not a deal breaker either way

This is my official I have not ridden the bike yet review. If someone at Trek reads this and feels like letting me test one out I would be happy to write a follow up review.

#37 ·
If the frame is really that awesome should I need built in bar pads? my answer is no.
Actually, the most in depth review I saw cited that over the really rough stuff the compliance in the tail was great, but so forgiving that it made the front end feel to stiff. So they actually preferred the bike over imperfect pavement versus horrible cobble/dirt.

I think without an actual suspension fork it is probably next to impossible to give a "race" bike the on-rails stiffness and handling precision riders want and give enough compliance to make it comfortable over rough roads.

Ultimately, I'm very, very impressed with the Domane. Someone earlier posted that this was old tech with Trek Marketing. I don't think I've ever seen a carbon fiber frame with a completely detached seat tube and an elastomer. Also, Trek managed to wedge a giant piece of rubber into a frame that still weighs 1050g. I love my ultra stiff Felt F-series with its aggressive, crit suited geometry, but this is so radically different that it would be a great second bike for long enjoyable rides.

#32 ·
As much as I appreciate my S-Works Roubaix, I see nothing wrong with Trek having an answer for the Roubaix. It is probably overkill for most riding situations (so is the Roubaix actually), but where it counts, it is probably a fantastic bike.

#33 ·
I think it's interesting, though the bearings are probably a little gimmicky. And for a bike built for cobblestones, how it cannot handle the waterbottles is a little concerning.

The longer stays and stretched fork are things I'm talking with a local custom builder about (completely coincidentally, don't sue us Mr Trekalized) to get a little more comfort in.

It's interesting about the forks. There is another thread here about straight versus curved; the big manufacturers are trying to go for curved as much as possible.

I do have to exception to the name though. Talk about lack of imagination. Clearly the next bike Trek puts out will be Nemado.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.