Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

trek madone 5 series 08/09/10 top tube front brake stop

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  okiefo 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anybody know what fixes their top tube front brake stop to the frame.Mine has a rivet, but the handbook suggests it should be a screw for removal. With a rivet the brake stop is not removable.The rear top tube brake stop does have a screw.

Could You Madone owners kindly have a look on the front top tube where the front brake cable goes into the frame and let me know what fixes the plastic stop to the frame. Many thanks

#5 ·
Wanted to replace the outer cable which has become worn. Same as all the other outer cable sleeves Trying to pull it off the cable stop is straining the rivet and I do not want to damage the carbon. A screw would have been the sensible option and then I could easily grip the outer with a pair of grips. It does say in the Trek manual that both cable stops have screws, but it seems not in practice.

#6 ·
Wow...that thing must really be stuck! If you can grab the housing safely with some vice grips or such, you should be able to gently pull and twist it out while holding the stop with you thumb. If its really stuck try dripping a bit of lube in there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.