Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

105 hubs servicing issues

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Z'mer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Trying to service my 105 hubs for the first time (never done this before on any hub). Watched many youtube videos on this and it looked straightforward.

After I thought I was done I put my wheel back and noticed there was a lot of lateral play in the wheel. You can feel a lot of play on the side I used the spanners on. I have tried multiple times to tighten it up with no luck. I even get to a point were the wheel won't spin.

Any suggestions?

Should mention the hubs have been used for 2 years. Maybe a few thousand miles on them

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks, yeah I only loosened the non drive side. However I did try to tighten up the drive side but did not help. I'm pretty sure I am doing everything right as to tightening the hub back up. Even if I tighten too much where the wheel doesn't spin well I still have play.

I can feel the play when I try to wiggle the axle on the non drive side.

#4 ·
You need to take this to a competent Shimano hub expert before you do irreparable damage to the hub. Shimano hubs are very simple to overhaul and adjust but if you're not doing it right, you need to be shown. A picture is worth 1000 words. Talking of words & pictures, the site of Park Tool should have the info.

#5 · (Edited)
is it a cartridge bearing or loose ball hub?

do you have the right cone wrench to tighten the cone to its lock nut? that's the "adjustment" -- to find the right cone location and then tighten it to its locknut using a separate wrench on each.

have you checked youtube, park tool, and sheldon brown yet?

#6 ·
Shimano hubs are all loose ball bearings.

Is there a possibility that threads on the axle may be stripped? I had this happen on a mountain bike I had awhile back. It exhibited similar symptoms. Just a thought.

#7 ·
Front, rear or both hubs giving you trouble? Are you sure you got all the ball bearings back in the races on both sides? The freehub side can be tricky. Most rear Shimano take 9 1/4" balls each side. The fronts are kind of hard to mess with respect to getting the balls in the races but those typically have 11 3/16" balls each side. If you lost one you'll never get the hub to adjust.

YMMV so I recommend looking up your particular model hubs on si.shimano.com Lots of good manuals and parts lists there.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help so far. I am following park tool site and youtube. I am certain I got the basics down and am doing it right.

The rear hub has a tiny bit of play but when I get it on the bike and tighten the quick release the play is gone. The only thing is it doesnt spin as nice as before. Still okay but still a little off.

The front is totally different. I can tighten it up to the point it doesn't spin well at all and still has play. I think my next step is to check for any damages. I just thought there shouldn't be any damage as I was careful and they are still fairly new. Just used 2 summers.

Its the shimano 5700 hubs.

Thanks again

#10 ·
The rear hub has a tiny bit of play but when I get it on the bike and tighten the quick release the play is gone.
that's exactly the way it should be adjusted. you leave a little play. mount the wheel in the dropout. tighten the skewer. and check for play again. if the play is removed when the skewer is tightened, you've probably adjusted it correctly.

The front is totally different. I can tighten it up to the point it doesn't spin well at all and still has play.
and you're using two wrenches to tighten each cone to its locknut?

make sure you have the right size and count of bearings on each side.

you may want to mount everything in place without using the hub's dust caps just to test that the dust caps are not out of round and causing a problem with them brushing against the cones.

#19 ·
I've given up trying to figure out whats wrong. Too bad because they were fairly new.

Wondering what options I have now. Since the hubs and rims only have a few thousand KM on them. Is it okay I take them apart and reuse the rims? They are h plus sons. I'm thinking of grabbing ultegra hubs and I guess I will need new spokes. The rims would be okay to use right?

#20 ·
If you buy new hubs don't take the damn things apart til you're with someone that can show you the right way to do it. If you're going from 105 to Ultegra you should be able to re-use the spokes, but use new nipples.

You're sure the 105 hubs are trashed? How do you know? I'd have someone that knows what they're doing try to fix whatever you've done before you go replacing them.

#25 ·
Hi,

Trying to service my 105 hubs for the first time

After I thought I was done I put my wheel back and noticed there was a lot of lateral play in the wheel. You can feel a lot of play on the side I used the spanners on. I have tried multiple times to tighten it up with no luck. I even get to a point were the wheel won't spin.
Going back to the initial post - how did the wheels work before you "serviced" them? No play or problems with hubs?

If yes, it is very likely you have screwed up installing the seals. Perhaps installed backwards? Lubricated?
Get help, or figure it out. Pretty sure the hubs are fine, um rebuilding the wheel is silly. No need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.