RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

105 hubs servicing issues

Hi,

Trying to service my 105 hubs for the first time (never done this before on any hub). Watched many youtube videos on this and it looked straightforward.

After I thought I was done I put my wheel back and noticed there was a lot of lateral play in the wheel. You can feel a lot of play on the side I used the spanners on. I have tried multiple times to tighten it up with no luck. I even get to a point were the wheel won't spin.

Any suggestions?

Should mention the hubs have been used for 2 years. Maybe a few thousand miles on them
    Last edited by sheepherder; 03-20-2017 at 08:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Pull the axle out and start again. I'm assuming you loosened only the non-drive side nuts to remove the axle. Perhaps somehow the drive-side nuts loosened and it disturbed your adjustment.

Usually you "scissor" the cone and the locknut against each other after adjustment to lock them together.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks, yeah I only loosened the non drive side. However I did try to tighten up the drive side but did not help. I'm pretty sure I am doing everything right as to tightening the hub back up. Even if I tighten too much where the wheel doesn't spin well I still have play.

I can feel the play when I try to wiggle the axle on the non drive side.
    Last edited by sheepherder; 03-21-2017 at 06:41 AM.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    Thanks, yeah I only loosened the non drive side. However I did try to tighten up the drive side but did not help. I'm pretty sure I am doing everything right as to tightening the hub back up. Even if I tighten too much where the wheel doesn't spin well I still have play.

I can feel the play when I try to wiggle the axle on the non drive side.
    You need to take this to a competent Shimano hub expert before you do irreparable damage to the hub. Shimano hubs are very simple to overhaul and adjust but if you're not doing it right, you need to be shown. A picture is worth 1000 words. Talking of words & pictures, the site of Park Tool should have the info.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

a real member's member
    is it a cartridge bearing or loose ball hub?

do you have the right cone wrench to tighten the cone to its lock nut? that's the "adjustment" -- to find the right cone location and then tighten it to its locknut using a separate wrench on each.

have you checked youtube, park tool, and sheldon brown yet?
    Last edited by blackfrancois; 03-21-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano hubs are all loose ball bearings.

Is there a possibility that threads on the axle may be stripped? I had this happen on a mountain bike I had awhile back. It exhibited similar symptoms. Just a thought.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Use my Apps :)
    Front, rear or both hubs giving you trouble? Are you sure you got all the ball bearings back in the races on both sides? The freehub side can be tricky. Most rear Shimano take 9 1/4" balls each side. The fronts are kind of hard to mess with respect to getting the balls in the races but those typically have 11 3/16" balls each side. If you lost one you'll never get the hub to adjust.

YMMV so I recommend looking up your particular model hubs on si.shimano.com Lots of good manuals and parts lists there.
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all the help so far. I am following park tool site and youtube. I am certain I got the basics down and am doing it right.

The rear hub has a tiny bit of play but when I get it on the bike and tighten the quick release the play is gone. The only thing is it doesnt spin as nice as before. Still okay but still a little off.

The front is totally different. I can tighten it up to the point it doesn't spin well at all and still has play. I think my next step is to check for any damages. I just thought there shouldn't be any damage as I was careful and they are still fairly new. Just used 2 summers.

Its the shimano 5700 hubs.

Thanks again
    Last edited by sheepherder; 03-22-2017 at 07:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The bearings will tighten up a little when you tighten the skewers.
    Check your balls!!!!
    BANNED

a real member's member
    The rear hub has a tiny bit of play but when I get it on the bike and tighten the quick release the play is gone.
    that's exactly the way it should be adjusted. you leave a little play. mount the wheel in the dropout. tighten the skewer. and check for play again. if the play is removed when the skewer is tightened, you've probably adjusted it correctly.

The front is totally different. I can tighten it up to the point it doesn't spin well at all and still has play.
    and you're using two wrenches to tighten each cone to its locknut?

make sure you have the right size and count of bearings on each side.

you may want to mount everything in place without using the hub's dust caps just to test that the dust caps are not out of round and causing a problem with them brushing against the cones.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post

you may want to mount everything in place without using the hub's dust caps just to test that the dust caps are not out of round and causing a problem with them brushing against the cones.

Thanks, the dust caps are the problem. Actually I think on my hubs it's more like a seal. I took the non drive side off and things got a lot better. I took the drive side off and it spins so nicely without any play. I tried cleaning and putting them back on but I get the same problem. Not sure how I damaged them. I never took them out in the first place. I was aware they damages easily so I left them in when I originally serviced the hubs

Where can I get the replacements? How bad would it be without them?

Thanks I was going crazy.
    Last edited by sheepherder; 03-26-2017 at 07:48 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Did you reinstall them as per the shimano manual?
    Do you know how to adjust ball bearings?
    If you answer no to either of the above, take it to a LBS.
    BANNED

a real member's member
    Thanks, the dust caps are the problem. Actually I think on my hubs it's more like a seal. I took the non drive side off and things got a lot better. I took the drive side off and it spins so nicely without any play. I tried cleaning and putting them back on but I get the same problem. Not sure how I damaged them. I never took them out in the first place. I was aware they damages easily so I left them in when I originally serviced the hubs. Where can I get the replacements? How bad would it be without them? Thanks I was going crazy.
    glad you identified the issue.

i had a campy record hub that had a problem with a dust cap. one was out of round, and it was rubbing on a cone. i tried a number of different things to slowly work the cap back to normal. it took a long time to solve.

if no metal work solves the problem, you may want to find a donor hub for its dust caps. if you have a co-op in town, check there. also check ebay.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    ... take it to a LBS.
    only to ask them if they have a hub like yours that you can use as a donor for the dust caps/seals.

and try to identify what's wrong with the cap/seal. is it an issue with its inner diameter or outer diameter? or is it something else?

RoadBikeReview Member
    [/B]
    How bad would it be without them?
    Not bad as long as you ride in a totally sterile environment. Otherwise, you will trash the bearings very quickly.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    only to ask them if they have a hub like yours that you can use as a donor for the dust caps/seals.

and try to identify what's wrong with the cap/seal. is it an issue with its inner diameter or outer diameter? or is it something else?
    I don't know whats wrong with them. I cleaned then and they looked fine. Not sure whats wrong here.

a real member's member
    I don't know whats wrong with them. I cleaned then and they looked fine. Not sure whats wrong here.
    hmmm. you say they look fine, but you're sure they are the problem with the hub not spinning smoothly when you mount the wheel in the frame. you know this because the mounted wheel spins smoothly without the caps/seals in place.

so ... with the caps/seals in place on the axle and the wheel not mounted in the frame, can you adjust the hub perfectly where it spins smoothly without any cap/seal issue?

if this is true too, we could have a cap/seal issue only when mounted in the frame and locked with the skewer.

a real member's member
    can you post a photo of the hub and caps/seals?

is there a small shop, co-op, or bike guru around that can look into the problem while you watch?