RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

15mm thru axle front wheel with 12mm t/a fork

I have a wheel I want to use that is 15mm thru axle. My fork is 12mm. I have a sleeve to step down the inner diameter, but I just figured out there are issues with the outer diameter too. The 12mm fork takes 19mm od hubs whereas my 15mm hub is 21mm od.

Can I manipulate the fork or hub in any way to make this work?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    What hub is it?

Many can be converted to various specs by swapping end caps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Itís a spesh hub on a set of roval control trails. I am hoping to be able to use on my gravel bike. I do not know if there are any endcaps available to make it 12mm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    Itís a spesh hub on a set of roval control trails. I am hoping to be able to use on my gravel bike. I do not know if there are any endcaps available to make it 12mm
    Not too hard to source a 3mm wall tube that you'd slide over your thru axle. Someplace like McMaster probably has stock in stock, and their stuff like that is usually precise enough for an application like this.

One of those projects I'd meant to get to having made but never have. Being able to use Shimano mountain hubs for 12mm forks would be nice. Now they have one 12mm hub, of course.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I have the 3mm tube. Thats not the issue. Itís the outer diameter of the endcap. My fork needs 19mm (which is standard for 12mm ta). The 15mm endcaps are 21mm in OD, so they do not fit into thw slots.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Never run into a standard. It must be a "not to exceed" as White Industries just started machining their 12mm endcaps down to a narrower diameter at the outboard end to play nicer with inward spline lock rings which you need to use with a lot of flat mount disc mounts.

Most forks I've seen are flush on the inside face of the dropout.

DT or Formula probably made the hubs. I'd try a DT end cap set if you can borrow one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Have you found a way to get the fork to sit? I have the same issue. Purchased an internal sleeve to reduce the axle dia. to 12mm but the fork wonít sit on the 21mm OD end cap. I have shimano hubs and older DT Swiss hubs that donít have 12mm optionsz Thinking Iíll try to modify the fork. Would love a cleaner solution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    One of those projects I'd meant to get to having made but never have. Being able to use Shimano mountain hubs for 12mm forks would be nice. Now they have one 12mm hub, of course.
    Are you talking about the RS770? That's the only Shimano 12mm thru-axle hub I know of.
    ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rdyoung View Post
    Have you found a way to get the fork to sit? I have the same issue. Purchased an internal sleeve to reduce the axle dia. to 12mm but the fork wonít sit on the 21mm OD end cap. I have shimano hubs and older DT Swiss hubs that donít have 12mm optionsz Thinking Iíll try to modify the fork. Would love a cleaner solution.
    Sent my end caps from the 15mm thru axle to Eric from pdxti. He machined them and now they work in both forks! Awesome service and only $35!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Yeah, 770. We have a set kicking around here, they're nice. The silver and black look won't be for everyone but I dig it.