Roadbike Rider

160 pounds, rough roads. What rims for road bike?

Looking for a recommendation for custom wheels as follows

• Weigh 160 pounds
    • FTP, not even 200 Watts
    • Frame is a Merlin Extralight
    • I already have Ultegra 32 hole, 10 speed hubs
    • I use the bike on broken pavement, urban bike paths, chip-seal and light off road
    • Also used on group rides on wet and gritty winter roads
    • Currently run 28c Conti 4 Seasons
    • Not that concerned about the price

I have a LBS with a very good builder so I just need to figure out rims and spokes.

I'm looking for a durable alloy rim but I don't need something for a Clydesdale either. I looked at Velocity, HED and the new Mavic Open pros. What would be the best option?

"It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    — John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    With those hubs you can ride any rim you want. Use double butted spokes. I have h plus son archetypes and like them. My wife has pacenti sl23, and they are also nice.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Click here to edit signature.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I built a set of wheels for my wife with those hubs and used Velocity A23 rims and Sapim Laser spokes and she uses 28C Gatorskins. 1 flat in 5 years. You could use the Kinlin 31W rim and spokes of your choice. Mine would be C X-rays.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before I recommend rims, a few questions. What wheels are you using now? How wide are they? What is your frame clearance like?

If your frame clearance is tight and you go to a wider rim, your 28c tires will expand and may not fit.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Roadbike Rider
    My current rims are Eastons and the outside measure is 17mm. The 28c tires fit on with a 27mm width. The chain stays are 33mm across at the tightest point. Will I be pushing it with a 27mm rim?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainstay View Post
    My current rims are Eastons and the outside measure is 17mm. The 28c tires fit on with a 27mm width. The chain stays are 33mm across at the tightest point. Will I be pushing it with a 27mm rim?
    Are you sure it's your outside rim width that's 17mm? Did you measure this yourself? It's the inside width that matters. Measure where the tire bead mounts.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Roadbike Rider
    [QUOTE=Lombard;5139679]Are you sure it's your outside rim width that's 17mm? Did you measure this yourself? It's the inside width that matters. Measure where the tire bead mounts.[/QUOT

The inside measure is 14.5mm. I took all measurements with digital callipers and rechecked. They should be good. Thanks for your help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The inside measure is 14.5mm. I took all measurements with digital callipers and rechecked. They should be good. Thanks for your help.
    Ouch! So from the info you have provided, it sounds like you have only 3mm on each side between the tire and chain stay. If you are running 14.5mm rims, a 17mm may not fit, or at the very least, you will rub the chain stays when you flex the wheel climbing a steep hill. If you really want to go to 17mm rims, you may have to step down to a 25c tire in back.

I bolded 27mm rim as I am assuming you meant 17mm rim.

-- Warren Buffett

Roadbike Rider
    Yes I meant 17mm, not 27mm rim.

I will try to borrow a wheel with a 17mm rim to try. That's the only way I'll know.

I did read to expect a change of 0.8mm on tire width when going up 2.0 mm in rim width

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will try to borrow a wheel with a 17mm rim to try. That's the only way I'll know.
    Good idea!

I did read to expect a change of 0.8mm on tire width when going up 2.0 mm in rim width
    That is about what I noticed when going from a 15 to 17mm rim.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm looking for a durable alloy rim but I don't need something for a Clydesdale either. I looked at Velocity, HED and the new Mavic Open pros. What would be the best option?

H Plus Son Archetype. Hed C2 is very good too but having used both I can't tell the difference between those and Archetypes so would say there's no point in paying more for the Heds.

CX'er
    Velocity A23 is a good rim. Hed Belgium are better but more expensive. Flo 30 or one of their carbon rims might not be bad. I think you can get some boyd altamont rims from prowheelbuilder, or a few other builders now I guess, which are good.

I've had the most experience with A23's and have really enjoyed them on road bikes and CX bikes since they came out. I haven't ridden HED's rims but they're well respected. I've ridden the altamonts wheels from Boyd and they were trouble free while I had them for a season of training which included gravel miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP,

As you can see, there are many choices out there and many opinions to go with them. You may want to read this excellent rim review below:

Alloy Rim Roundup - Fairwheel Bikes Blog

The DT Swiss RR440 may be a good compromise for you. At 16mm internal width, this one may work for you and is a good quality rim.

-- Warren Buffett