banned
    Dec 2012

2013 Bontrager Race Lite vs ROL Volant

Hi guys,

I've got some new 2013 Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless Ready wheels with R3 tyres. They weigh in at 1500g (obviously without tyres and tubes).

I also have a new pair of ROL Volants - tried and tested as solid - weigh in at 1650g. They have gatorskins on them.

I am finishing a new build on a Trek 5 series frame and I wanted to ask the forum, if you had the option, which wheel set/tyres would you go with?

I'm about 175lb.

thanks

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    neither set of wheels, they're both to heavy. sell them both and get a set of wheels from bicycle wheel warehouse. why? because both the ROL and Bontrager wheels use a heavy rim to get the cool looking spoke lacing pattern. of the 2 the ROL is using the lighter rim, but it's around 465 grams. get a wheelset that uses 385g or less for rim weight something with more than 24 spokes for the rear.

banned
    Dec 2012
    Ok so the ROL is using a lighter rim but more (heavier) spokes? Are lighter rims more important than overall weight?

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    lighter rims in general are more important. keeping the weight down at the rim is the goal, that includes tires and tubes. How much will this effect the overall performance? not by much in terms of max speed or average, where you really notice it is in the intial spin up like when your trying to catch the group or the group surges forward, when you go up hill and how tired your legs are at the end of a 40-50 mile ride. The difference would be as if you added an additional tube in each wheel. Do that as an experiment, cut a tube down the middle, remove the valve and place it inside your tire at the front and rear. See if you notice the weight gain, you'll be adding around 70 grams per tire. then wrap the same tubes around the hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    lighter rims in general are more important. keeping the weight down at the rim is the goal, that includes tires and tubes. How much will this effect the overall performance? not by much in terms of max speed or average, where you really notice it is in the intial spin up like when your trying to catch the group or the group surges forward, when you go up hill and how tired your legs are at the end of a 40-50 mile ride. The difference would be as if you added an additional tube in each wheel. Do that as an experiment, cut a tube down the middle, remove the valve and place it inside your tire at the front and rear. See if you notice the weight gain, you'll be adding around 70 grams per tire. then wrap the same tubes around the hubs.
    I have a set of Shimano RS80s on one bike which weigh 1516 grams using rims that weigh around 390 grams. On another bike I have a wheelset that weights 1490 grams with rims weighing 480 grams each. I climb no faster with the lighter rims but the heavier rims are more aero (23mm width with 28mm depth versus 20.8mm width and 23-24mm depth) which results in a slightly faster pace on the flats. The heavier rims also provide a better ride (lower pressures can be run) and better cornering due to a wider rim. The comparison in reality isn't as simple as you suggest.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    biker jk....
    Same tires and tubes on the Shimano RS80 and the 1490 wheelset? there is a difference between a set Vittoria Open Pavè CG Clinchers (240g) and a Hutchinson Atom Comp Clinchers (180g) along with Continental Race Supersonic Road Inner Tubes (50g) and using Michelin Butyl Airstop Road Inner Tubes (90g). not much but why carry extra weight when you don't have to? 200 grams (60x2 +40x2) total difference for the wheelset for example.

Online Wheel Builder
    Unless you can get them at a deal, I think there are better options out there. They are both pretty heavy too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

2013 Bontrager Race Lite vs ROL Volant

Myself, I'd go with the bontrager wheels. The three riders I know who have switched to them have been raving about their ride quality. I'm just waiting for them to incorporate the tubeless into deep dish carbon ...
    I may be short but I sure am skinny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    get a wheelset that uses 385g or less for rim weight.
    really. 385 for a decent AL road rim that will last? Good luck with that.

In my experience, sub 1425g on AL clinchers and you can probably assume they will either be pretty flexy or wont last. I dont have any ROL experience, but the RXLs have come a long way. They are right at 1500g, and strong enough for daily riding without being a wet noodle when you put the power down. You could get something lighter, but for the same strength, your talking carbon rims, and thats at least 2x the price.