RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

23 and 25 tires on same bike?

im sorry for this post but i just got done reading about the differences between the 23 and the 25 mm tires. if i ended up rolling with a 23 front and a 25 rear tire would i still have good wind cutting tire front and a nice less rolling resistance tire on the back? i use 2 different size tires on my mt bike. what do you guys think? be nice......

karl

keep on riding

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you asking based on what tires you currently have on hand or are you trying to accomplish something in particlular with the different tire sizes?

Oh hai there
    Continental sells a pair if tires like this, look up the attack/force combo. I have a 23 front and 25 rear right now because I had a pothole rip a 4" hole in the sidewall of my front tire. I really can only tell the difference if I don't run a 25 in the rear.

RoadBikeReview Member

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    im sorry for this post but i just got done reading about the differences between the 23 and the 25 mm tires. if i ended up rolling with a 23 front and a 25 rear tire would i still have good wind cutting tire front and a nice less rolling resistance tire on the back? i use 2 different size tires on my mt bike. what do you guys think? be nice......

karl

keep on riding
    Won't really matter much aerodynamically, but it won't do any harm. Lets you run about equal pressure in both tires, with the larger width in the back to handle the extra weight. Might improve handling a bit, if your weight would require you to run a very high pressure in back with a narrow tire. A lot of people do this. You weren't the first one to think of it, but you came up with a good idea.

trying to HTFU...
    i run the attack/force combo on my tri-bike. it's really good, rolls well, back end is comfy
    with the increased air volume. if you look them up, the rear is 24mm BTW.

on the 'regular' road bike, i also use the 23/25 combo, but ultra gatorskins.
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.

kytyree
    Yep, it will be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    There definitely won't be any real 'problems'.

But if you personally will get any benefit from it would depend on your weight.

Take what you read about the pros and cons of 23s vs 25s on the internet with a grain of salt. If the pros of 25s were that clear and applied to everyone you'd see people with much more research power behind them than internet junkies (pro riders) all using them too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

i ride a lot a night

Quote Originally Posted by HIMEHEEM
    Are you asking based on what tires you currently have on hand or are you trying to accomplish something in particlular with the different tire sizes?
    i end up riding alot at night and had my first flat the other night after about 500 night miles. it was easy to fix but i would rather not run into that issue again. i was thinking that the 25 mm tire would help my back tire not flat out and help provide protection against the unseen holes and other road junk.

karl

keep on riding

RoadBikeReview Member
    It would help for pinch flats but for road junk,not so much.

Banned forever.....or not
    If you ride with a 23 in front, you will gain 1.637 watts, from the reduction of air resistance (but that's only if you ride at 24 mph)

For all my solo rides, and rides that are not at "race pace", I ride with a rear wheel with a 25 on. This wheel also has a 13-25 cassette. On harder rides, I'll use a wheel with a 12-23, or a 12-25, depending in hills (both of these wheels will have a 23mm tire on them).
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!