Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

23c vs. 25c

54K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  No Time Toulouse 
#1 ·
in the market for new tires, always rode 23c's...just wondering and tinkering with the idea of going to 25c's (possible smoother ride?) - ride in pennsylvania, no racing at all but i like a good performance tire; nothing too heavy - roads not too bad but condition of pave varies on every ride. running 6'-2", 185lbs.....just wanted to get some +/- feedback from those who switched to 25's.
tire i'm looking at now is the vittoria zaffiro pro clincher.

#2 ·
cinnepa said:
in the market for new tires, always rode 23c's...just wondering and tinkering with the idea of going to 25c's (possible smoother ride?) - ride in pennsylvania, no racing at all but i like a good performance tire; nothing too heavy - roads not too bad but condition of pave varies on every ride. running 6'-2", 185lbs.....just wanted to get some +/- feedback from those who switched to 25's.
I'm same size as you, sound about like the same sort of rider and roads (NE Ohio here.) Get the 25's, dial back the pressure a little, and enjoy.

Can't speak to Zaffiro's. I used to run Rubino Pros, enjoyed those plenty. Running Conti GP4000's now - just what was in stock at PBK last time I ordered. Liking those, too. It's too early to tell, but it seems like the Rubino's have a softer compound - arguably better grip, but shorter life. But I haven't pushed the handling or the mileage enough to say either is fact.

#5 ·
I'm also the same size as you and I've been riding 25's for a few years....I won't be going back to 23's mainly because the ride is so much better. Your roads sound much like mine in SE Massachusetts. Also, I don't race either....ride about 2.5k per year.

I've been riding Vredstein Fortezza TriComps and Michelin Krylion Carbons. The Michelin's ride a little harder than the TriComps, but seem to have a little better flat protection (an admitted subjective observation). I like them both.

#6 ·
cinnepa said:
I weigh 200 and ride a 23 front and a 25 rear most times.

#9 ·
With some frames, you will not be able to fit a 25. Many frames (but not all) that are designed for racing are limited to 23mm tires.
Two of my friends, one with a 13 year old Waterford, and the other with a 8 year old Waterford, were limited to 23mm tires. The one with a 13 year old Waterford, just got a 2008 model, and the frame fits a 25 easily.

#11 ·
I'm 6'4' and weigh 190 lbs. I switched from 23c Zaffiro wire bead to 25c Zaffiro Pro kevlar bead on my Jamis Ventura Elite.

The difference in ride and handling was immediately noticeable. When inflated to 115psi, the 23c tires transfered a lot of vibration on chip-seal roads that became unpleasant after 90 minutes. The 25c tires at 105-110 psi roll smoother, transmit much less vibration, and corner better. The difference in rolling resistance between the two sizes is slight to non-existant.

If you want a really good 25c, check the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp. It's a 120 thread per inch tire that offers very good handling and a supple ride. It is more prone to cuts than the Vittorias but you might find them on sale at Nashbar for $30 each.

Chris

#14 · (Edited)
I can't believe so many like the 25s. I weigh between 210-242 lbs biking and have 5 sets of wheels with 1 having the 25s, the others 23s. I've ridden the 25s past 3 falls, 3 early springs, and 2 winters and then a lot in the summer. I probably have 5,000 miles on them. I'll never get the 25s again. I noticed no improvement in ride quality or flat reduction, they are Kendas and are actually 26s. When they wear out, it's 23s.

By the way, I have a pair of Vittoria Zaffiro, wire bead, and get between 8,000-10,000 miles on them.

#15 ·
ProRace2's 23 vs 25

My 2005 Giant OCR C2 came stock with Michelin Pro Race2's in 25 width. I put around 2500 miles on them and than swapped them out with Pro Race 2's in 23 width just to see the difference. The 23's road about 10-15% harsher with a slight? improvement in speed ramp up. Other than the weight difference in the tire, and the slight acceleration improvement, I'm going back to the 25's as soon as the 23's wear out.The comfort is just that much better with the 25's.

#16 ·
lawrence said:
I can't believe so many like the 25s. I weigh between 210-242 lbs biking and have 5 sets of wheels with 1 having the 25s, the others 23s. I've ridden the 25s past 3 falls, 3 early springs, and 2 winters and then a lot in the summer. I probably have 5,000 miles on them. I'll never get the 25s again. I noticed no improvement in ride quality or flat reduction, they are Kendas and are actually 26s. When they wear out, it's 23s.

By the wear, I have a pair of Vittoria Zaffiro, wire bead, and get between 8,000-10,000 miles on them.
Just curious - do you run them at the same pressures?

And maybe there's a difference in tires - Kenda's aren't known as particularly special tire.

#19 ·
I'll chime in for fatter tires. I just changed from 23 to 26 (Grand Bois Cerf, available from Bicycle Quarterly) on my Wilier Izoard. Running them at 100 psi versus 120 for the 23s. I'm not sure if subjective opinions over this sort of thing are reliable, but my reactions are : (i) when the road is very smooth, its hard to tell the difference, and (ii) the wider tires are noticably better over rough patches. If there is a difference in rolling resistance, its too small for me to detect.

The bike rode just fine with 23s, so this is icing on the cake. I'm tempted to try 28s next time.

#20 ·
i'm 185 and run 23/25r of GP4seasons. I run the rear at about 105psi. I couldn't be happier with this setup. Very durable tires. Ride in central New Jersey. I used to ride ziffiros as 23's and didn't like 'em. Much prefer the Conti gp4seasons. and what I say goes...goes...

#21 ·
Keep in mind that some tire manufacturers fudge on tire size. A 25mm might be closer to a 23mm with some brands. A Michelin 25 will be a 25. Conti's run small. They fudge as it makes their tires lighter. A larger tire will soften the ride and you will get more mileage.

#22 ·
Small Conti?

Dinosaur said:
Keep in mind that some tire manufacturers fudge on tire size. A 25mm might be closer to a 23mm with some brands. A Michelin 25 will be a 25. Conti's run small. They fudge as it makes their tires lighter. A larger tire will soften the ride and you will get more mileage.
I have no experience with 25 mm Continentals, but in a 23mm size, the original Cont Grand Prix, the GP 3000, and the GP 4000 have all been exactly 23 mm width.

#23 ·
I'm using those Cont 700 x 24 tires and really liking them. Great ride characteristics compared to the 23's I've raced/ridden on. I'm about 194 and run 100 psi with both sizes.

#24 ·
Wow this is an interesting thread. I'm 210, and 50+. I've put 1500 miles on my 23s pumped up to 125 psi this year. I ride with younger riders, and like staying in the front. I have been looking for every advantage. I just bought a Caad9 that should arrive tomorrow. I was planning on buying new 23s for it, but perhaps I'll try the 25s that are on it for a while.

#25 ·
skipbech said:
Wow this is an interesting thread. I'm 210, and 50+. I've put 1500 miles on my 23s pumped up to 125 psi this year. I ride with younger riders, and like staying in the front. I have been looking for every advantage. I just bought a Caad9 that should arrive tomorrow. I was planning on buying new 23s for it, but perhaps I'll try the 25s that are on it for a while.
You need Super Record 11 speed. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.