RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

26" Clincher Tire with Low Rolling Resistance?

Any recommendations for 1.5" - 2" wide tires for 26" wheels with low rolling resistance? Preferably smooth tread type.

I've been using my beach cruiser for short trips to parks and errands but now I'm looking to improve the rides because I find myself making longer trips lately. The current tires on it aren't anything to write home about. They are cheap ones that came with the bike.

I know this is outside of road bike domain but thought I would ask just in case there some with experience on such. Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've not used any of the Schwalbe tires, but if the 26" Compass tires roll as well as their 650b 42mm tires you can't go wrong. The Shwalbe have a wider range of prices.

Schwalbe tires from Peter White Cycles

https://www.compasscycle.com/product...tires/26-inch/
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I love the Compass tires shown here. Pretty much exactly what you are describing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I love the Compass tires shown here. Pretty much exactly what you are describing.
    Compass tires get very good reviews. They have very compliant casings and therefore low rolling resistance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Compass tires get very good reviews. They have very compliant casings and therefore low rolling resistance.
    They also grip really well in almost every road condition, including loose gravel. They are becoming very popular with the gravel racing guru's around the area where I live. I just wish they were tad more affordable.

I've used Bon Jon Pass and Barlow Pass, both tubeless on various setups (always on HED Belgium Plus rims) and they are really great. The only downside I think is the cost along with a somewhat short lifespan (on the light casing version).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    They also grip really well in almost every road condition, including loose gravel. They are becoming very popular with the gravel racing guru's around the area where I live. I just wish they were tad more affordable.

I've used Bon Jon Pass and Barlow Pass, both tubeless on various setups (always on HED Belgium Plus rims) and they are really great. The only downside I think is the cost along with a somewhat short lifespan (on the light casing version).
    I've been running the Baby Shoe Pass 650b\42mm and managed to get about 30 miles shy of 8000 miles on one. The 1st 4000miles on the front and the rest on the rear. I was starting to get nervous about things at about 6000 miles, but wanted to see how far I could get before seeing cord.

Just recently I got my 1st flat on one of the tires at 6000 miles, 4000 front and the rest on the rear. I retired that tire. That's a total of about 10,500 on 5 tires. One retired at 4000 miles, one at 8000 miles and one at 6000 miles. Of the two on the bike now, one has about 2000 miles and the other is quite fresh still.

These are the standard casing on a majority of paved roads.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions. Compass tires are bit out of my price range (too much for a grocery getter & then some).
    I ended up getting Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 2" for rear and Marathon Greenguard 1.5" for front. Tires rolling resistance does matter. Despite being subtle, it does retain speed for longer when coasting. I suppose it adds up to something bigger as the travel distance increases.