Thread: 28 tires/brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015

28 tires/brakes

I picked up some continental 4000s 28s for my bike. Bike is 2015 specialized roubaix sl4 with axis 1.0 brakes. Are there any brakes that would prevent me having to deflate the tube to take on and off. Once you get it on, it has proper clearance but getting on and off is the issue. I read reviews on Shimano 105 brakes and the description says fits 28 tires.....does this mean I wouldn't have to deflate? Any brake that could help would be better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have used Shimano 105 brake calipers with 28c tires and never had to deflate tires to get the wheels off. I'm also pretty sure you will notice improved modulation over the stock Axis 1.0 calipers.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gasman777 View Post
    I picked up some continental 4000s 28s for my bike. Bike is 2015 specialized roubaix sl4 with axis 1.0 brakes. Are there any brakes that would prevent me having to deflate the tube to take on and off. Once you get it on, it has proper clearance but getting on and off is the issue. I read reviews on Shimano 105 brakes and the description says fits 28 tires.....does this mean I wouldn't have to deflate? Any brake that could help would be better.
    How close to the rim do you have the pads set? Some people set them much closer to the rim than necessary, which makes it hard to remove the wheel and also makes for poorer brake modulation because you have to brake with your finger tips on the levers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    How close to the rim do you have the pads set? Some people set them much closer to the rim than necessary, which makes it hard to remove the wheel and also makes for poorer brake modulation because you have to brake with your finger tips on the levers.
    Most bikes come from the factory with the pads set too close to the rims.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

CX'er
    Keep in mind, conti GP 4000's tend to measure a little larger than advertised so it may not fit right in. However, I haven't had trouble with the conti's, or any 28mm tires, with sram red brake calipers and I assume shimano allow similar widths of tires when opened.
    Last edited by bikerector; 04-03-2017 at 07:03 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Good point, I'll have to check.