Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

700x23 vs 700x25

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike T. 
#1 ·
I am newer to road cycling and was wondering if someone come explain the pros and cons of each the 700x23 and the 700x25 tires.

I am a recreational ride between 100 and 150 miles a week. I weigh 165- 170, if it makes a difference.

Right now I have Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase on my bike. I am looking for something new this year. Something durable and smooth riding.

#2 ·
lucky13 said:
I am newer to road cycling and was wondering if someone come explain the pros and cons of each the 700x23 and the 700x25 tires.

I am a recreational ride between 100 and 150 miles a week. I weigh 165- 170, if it makes a difference.

Right now I have Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase on my bike. I am looking for something new this year. Something durable and smooth riding.
There's a lot of back-and-forth, and they are close enough that some of the answers overlap depending on brands and models. But generally, 23's are lighter, 25's more comfortable. You'll have some arguing both sides of the efficiency question, but at the end there's so much overlap there that models and pressures chosen matter more.

IMO, unless you are racing, there's little reason not to ride 25's. If you are racing, there are arguments to be made for either.

Weight does matter, though at yours, not as much as someone heavier. 25's would let you run 95 psi or so safely, getting comfort from even fairly stiff, 'durable' tires.

#4 ·
25's at 90psi are like a breath of fresh air after a few decades of 23's at 100-110psi. If I was racing I just might consider 23's. But I'm not anymore.

Let's not talk about the handmade 32mm cyclocross tires at 40psi that I used for the whole summer on dirt roads. Sheer luxury.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.