RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

700x25 .. Whats the best bet for allround tire.

Hi guys.

I ride about 50 km per day in town, bad roads and good roads.
    This morning I parted with my Bontrager R2 tire wich has lasted me for about 1000km with about 4 flats (Bontrager tubes).
    Now I want to move to something different.

I was thinking something like Continental 4 season (maybe 4000S) or Vittoria Rubino Pro.
    Tubewise would be something like Continental race or race light.

Any comments on this would be great

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Hi guys.

This morning I parted with my Bontrager R2 tire wich has lasted me for about 1000km with about 4 flats (Bontrager tubes).

I was thinking something like Continental 4 season (maybe 4000S) or Vittoria Rubino Pro.

I am a Vittoria fan. How about the Open Pave? Those are great riding tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    For that type of riding i'd get Armadillo elites or cheaper Vittoria Zaffiro Pros

Online Wheel Builder
    Have you considered making the jump to tubeless? It should enhance the ride quality slightly while being far less prone to flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    For that type of riding i'd get Armadillo elites or cheaper Vittoria Zaffiro Pros
    I can vouch for Vittoria Zaffiro Pros, I have been using it without any problems at all and the price is definitely right!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: 700x25 .. Whats the best bet for allround tire.

Hi guys.

I use a Rubino Pro on the front and a Maxxis Refuse on the rear. I run 23s but bth are available in 25s and when these wear out I may go that route, but I like the combo. The Rubino is a solid all around tire. Handles well, rides well. The Maxxis is tough as nails.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    The specialized roubaix tire is reasonably priced, very durable, and feels remarkably like a tire considering its durability.

RoadBikeReview Member

700x25 .. Whats the best bet for allround tire.

I was thinking something like Continental 4 season ...

I think you got it figured out.....

Tube wise, the Schwalbe hold pressure longer...

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    I like Michelin, Vittoria, Challenge, and Grand Bois.

All the supple, low-rolling-resistance tires.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I think Vittoria Paves are the best all-round tire. My definition of best all-round for my riding is pretty good flat protection but race worthy and smooth.

A lot of people's definition is weighted more towared never get a flat and last forever though and less towards smooth and speed.

Are you a bike messenger or something (clue being you ride 50km all "in town")? If so Vittoria Paves will give you a really nice ride but are probably not what you want in terms of durability and price. They are very durable by race tire standards but not so much in the overall picture.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    If you have bad roads to deal with, take a look at Continental Gatorskins. I use the 23mm on my training bike and my wife uses the 28mm on her bike that she rides in a local nature preserve that has many shell paths. She just wore out a set, at about 4,000 minles, without having a single flat. She rides by herself a lot and I put those on there so she wouldn't have to worry about them. I use the Conti 4000S on my other bikes and don't notice any real difference in performance between the two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    The GP 4000's are definitely nice do everything tires. I've gone through a few sets of them and they ride pretty nice, wear well, and have resisted all the glass i've managed to find this year. That said I just switched back to Michelin PRO 4 Endurance tires as I feel they ride a bit nicer while providing almost the same level of wear and puncture resistance.

I also prefer Michelin tubes to continentals (i don't like threaded valve stems).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I rode Specialized Armadillo Roubaix tires for the better part of the year. They've been ridden almost 2,000 miles now and fortunately I've not yet had a flat since putting them on. I prefer them over the Continental GatorSkin and Gator HardShell tires — I've had the unfortunate luck of ripping through a sidewall in the first 80 miles. These puncture-resistant tires, however, have a certain "dead-weight" feel to them on the road. My best description is that it feels like you're constantly dragging something. However, a friend did point out to me once, "losing 1mph is much better than 0mph for several minutes while you fix your flat."

On my new bike, I have the Vittoria Rubino Pro slick that came with the wheels. I am very impressed with these. I'm almost 1,000 miles in, zero flats (hope it stays that way), and they feel much, much smoother on the road than the puncture-resistant tires I've ridden, even though they're 700x23 tires.

I'll probably swap back to the puncture-resistant tires in the Fall or Winter, when there's more crap to deal with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by genux View Post
    I rode Specialized Armadillo Roubaix tires for the better part of the year. They've been ridden almost 2,000 miles now and fortunately I've not yet had a flat since putting them on. I prefer them over the Continental GatorSkin and Gator HardShell tires — I've had the unfortunate luck of ripping through a sidewall in the first 80 miles. These puncture-resistant tires, however, have a certain "dead-weight" feel to them on the road. My best description is that it feels like you're constantly dragging something. However, a friend did point out to me once, "losing 1mph is much better than 0mph for several minutes while you fix your flat."

On my new bike, I have the Vittoria Rubino Pro slick that came with the wheels. I am very impressed with these. I'm almost 1,000 miles in, zero flats (hope it stays that way), and they feel much, much smoother on the road than the puncture-resistant tires I've ridden, even though they're 700x23 tires.

I'll probably swap back to the puncture-resistant tires in the Fall or Winter, when there's more crap to deal with.
    Do they still make the Pro Slicks? My favorite tire by far. Have considered running them front and rear next time, but I really do like the puncture protection that a Refuse in the rear provides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    So far the GP4000s has been the best tire i've used. very few flats, good ride quality, good handling.

i've also ridden Rubino Pro 3's, and vreddy duocomps. i've got a set of open corsa EVO CX's waiting to be mounted, though they're 23's, these models are supposed to run wide. they don't have many happy users, but my time on lithion 2's was surprisingly good considering the price. and this was on 23's. i would imagine li2's in 25 would be even better.

i would like to try the PR4 endurance soon.

and michelin tubes all the way. i hated threaded valve stems. using the Aircomp UL's and the Latex, and have been happy to pay extra for both.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The gp400s have worked well for me but I'd like to try the open corsas next year to see if they're much faster for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I've ridden the 2 you mention and the rubino is my personal tire. I got some 4 seasons for a 500 mile week tour. I never got a flat but they ride like all those other gator type at triple the price. People rant and rave about the regular 4000 and maybe I just don't get them because I can find the rubinos so cheap and dont need more cycling **** running through my head that I have to buy, but at 35 eBay, the rubino 3 or pro(not sure of exact name, just look 150 tpi) are a good riding tire

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Do they still make the Pro Slicks? My favorite tire by far. Have considered running them front and rear next time, but I really do like the puncture protection that a Refuse in the rear provides.
    Yep. Competitive Cyclist carries them for about $45.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Yep. Competitive Cyclist carries them for about $45.
    Good to know. I do not need one now but will likely go with that again when I do. May try going back to 25s too. Maybe.

CX'er
    Another one for conti gatorskins. They have good grip still and last along time as well as having good flat protection. I've wanted to try the michelin pro race 4 endurance since they seem like michelin's version of the gatorskin and I'm partial to michelin over continental. I like the vittoria randoneur tire for a tire that is just going to get beat on. It's heavy but I've never flatted one. Not a race tire but I wouldn't be afraid of gravel roads with them.

banned
    I had the Continental GP4000 and the GP4000S, I notice no difference between the two, they both had the black chili compound. Recently, I had a defective 4000S rear tire that shredded on the sidewall after only 600 miles. I contacted Continental on their website to see if they would replace the tire but they did not bother to reply to me and I tried twice to reach them.

The defective tire may have just been a fluke, my bike shop told me they had not seen this type of damage before and that it is very unusual.

I'd like to try a different tire next time and that is what brought me to this thread, I am looking at alternatives to the Continentals.

Here is the sidewall tear:

Name:  IM004218.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  35.2 KBName:  IM004219.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  31.1 KB

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Continental GP 4-season is a great tire that falls in between the GP 4000s and Gatorskin.

More puncture protection with sidewall reinforcement than GP4000s with minimal weight penalty. Less puncture protection than the Gatorskin.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

I've been riding these too, 25mm. At 500-700 miles I'm impressed. I've crunched over quite a bit of glass with no cuts whatsoever. They're definitely smoother than the Krylions I've been riding for years, and maybe faster too. They feel grippy, even in the wet -- about like Michelin Pro2 Race (I haven't ridden the Pro3 or Pro4). Depending on how long they last they seem like a winner, especially at under $30 on sale from Performance.

I just wish I could find the 28mm, especially in-store.

BTW the 25mm seem true to size.
    Virginia Bicycling Federation (www.vabike.org)
    bikeNewportBeach.org
    Coming soon: bikeomatic.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Conti 4000S

Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    I had the Continental GP4000 and the GP4000S, I notice no difference between the two, they both had the black chili compound. Recently, I had a defective 4000S rear tire that shredded on the sidewall after only 600 miles. I contacted Continental on their website to see if they would replace the tire but they did not bother to reply to me and I tried twice to reach them.

The defective tire may have just been a fluke, my bike shop told me they had not seen this type of damage before and that it is very unusual.

I'd like to try a different tire next time and that is what brought me to this thread, I am looking at alternatives to the Continentals.

Here is the sidewall tear:

Name:  IM004218.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  35.2 KBName:  IM004219.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  31.1 KB
    I had a similar tear after only a few hundred miles. I gave the tire back to my LBS and the gave it back to the Rep and I received a new tire.

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by lawr View Post
    I had a similar tear after only a few hundred miles. I gave the tire back to my LBS and the gave it back to the Rep and I received a new tire.
    Had the same issue too (on a Conti Cyclocross Speed), less than 200km, bead ripped off while I was riding. The shop refunded me but since it was my fifth Continental tire that has been defective (out of 6! all bad beads) I wont touch Continentals anymore. Do they have quality control issues?

For do it all training tires, I like the Vittoria Rubino Pros. They can be found for cheap, they get good milage (can't say exactly how much but a lot more than 1000km) and throughout the years, with a few pairs of different generations, I have never flatted one even though I ride a lot on gravel roads or crappy pavement. There are lighter, more supple and faster tires but for everyday use, they're great.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 08-05-2013 at 09:10 AM.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING