RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

AC pawls seem to not engage

Hi all,

I have some American Classic wheels with their hubs. Pretty often, when I am starting from a stop, it's as if the pawls do not engage and I spin out maybe a third or a half revolution of the crank before they catch. I don't know the construction of their hubs, but this is the only set of wheels I have that do that. It's somewhat annoying and when this is on my commute, a little dangerous if I'm hoping to get away quickly at a light and nearly fall on my face. Is this common with some of their hubs? Maybe these are defective? Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by bleckb; 10-15-2017 at 07:26 PM.

a real member's member
    i had an ird freewheel that did that recently. it was probably pretty old, as it came on a used bike i bought. but it was nicer than most sunrace freewheels i buy new, so i used it a while. it was only from stops that it would not catch right away, just like you're describing. it didn't miss while i was pedaling out of the saddle or anything. but one day, it wouldn't catch at all from a stop. it was simply freewheeling in both directions. i thought i might be stranded miles from home. after several turns of the crank, it finally caught and gave me no trouble for the ride home. but i immediately removed it and threw it away. i emailed ird, and they sent me an unpackaged 'new' one, which is cool. i've bought several ird freewheels new also, but that was my only problem with one.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Unless you recently greased it and used way too much or the wrong stuff I would first try a warranty claim and second ditch it. I might even skip the warranty claim part because AC hubs have a reputation for sucking so I wouldn't really want another one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for both comments. No recent servicing so I guess I'll start with talking to the guys at the lbs who ordered the wheels for me. Any strategies for replicating this as it seems somewhat random, but frequent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
    Thanks for both comments. No recent servicing so I guess I'll start with talking to the guys at the lbs who ordered the wheels for me. Any strategies for replicating this as it seems somewhat random, but frequent.
    First thing I would do would be to service the freehub. Take it apart, clean out the old grease/lube, and relube with something like 90W gear lube, or a mixture of lightweight grease and oil. If it still behaves badly then consider it defective/failed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I'd be willing to bet that the freehub is toast.

AC hubs are phenomenal, don't listen to Jay.